Wednesday, October 14, 2009

WHAT I KNOW WEDNESDAY--There is Value in Those Three Little Words


I have had an opportunity to listen to Elder Bednar's latest Conference talk a few times. It is something I've decided to study. As I have done so, I have given a lot of thought to those three little words--I LOVE YOU.

As he begins his talk, that is his first suggestion to "being more diligent and concerned at home": EXPRESS LOVE AND SHOW IT. He says we can become more diligent and concerned at home by telling the people we love that we love them. That that may sound like a no-brainer, but for some that is a difficult thing to do. I'm pretty sure Elder Bednar is talking about all those in our family--not just the ones living under our roof. As Elder Bednar stated, "what we know is not always expressed in what we do". I don't remember my folks telling me that very often--I knew they loved me, but I don't remember hearing it very often. Perhaps that's why it's so important to me to express to my family that I love them. I don't want to just assume they know--I want to tell them.

I'm so grateful that my hubby and I are very alike in this concept--he always tells me (and shows me) that he loves me. Now keep in mind that the above picture which was taken a couple of years ago was not the last time Allan took me in his arms and told me he loved me ; ) We always leave the house saying "I love you" to each other. That has always been extremely important to me--I think when you come home from school and your mom tells you your dad has passed away, you fear that it will happen again. (Of course, because my mom died a little over a year later while in the hospital, I think I'm a little fearful of it happening. I rarely end a conversation with my kids without saying "I love you". I notice some of my kids do the same thing.

I love this statement that he makes: "Feeling the security and constancy of love from a spouse, a parent, or a child is a rich blessing. Such love nurtures and sustains faith in God. Such love is a source of strength and casts out fear. Such love is the desire of every human soul."

So What do I know today: I love my husband, my children (grand and great grandchildren) and their spouses. It is my hope and prayer that each of them has heard it and felt it.

Sidenote: I need to write a nasty letter to Best Buy. Kyle's keyboard stopped working on his computer--turned out he had spilled something on the keyboard. YIKES. Took it to Best Buy. They were going to send it out for repairs. After a month--they told him it would cost more to fix it than the computer was worth. (It was less than a year old) Knowing he needed a computer, we went to Best Buy here and got me a new laptop and I downloaded everything off mine on to new one. Then yesterday Kyle went to Best Buy to pick up the old computer and guess what--IT'S WORKING FINE!!!!!!!!

Less than a year ago this same Best Buy fried Allan's laptop and he had to buy a new one. I don't think we'll step into that particular Best Buy again.

13 comments:

Cherie said...

LOVE is THE greatest message of all.
I believe it encompasses what we, as people and as spiritual beings are all about.
Elder Bednars message sure was a Great one~!
I think we need to love the people at Best Buy too - Even when they are dorks - ha ha!!

Heffalump said...

Love is wonderful. I think that not only do our kids need to hear how much we love them, but that they need to SEE how much we love our spouses.
My boys get grossed out if D and I kiss in front of them, but I know that the kids KNOW we love each other, and there is a certain security in that for them, and for us.

ShEiLa said...

I love YOU, Yvonne.

Even though WE may not see eye to eye on every issue... that doesn't matter. I love you inspite of any weakness WE may have been blessed with.

ToOdLeS.

ps. I love the photo!

Ambrosia said...

I loved that talk. Saying "I love you" is apart of our everyday communication. I just can't let go of the fear that if I don't, something may happen and I will forever regret not saying those words.

Sheri said...

Great post as usual! THat is something I need to work on... saying I love you to my boys! And being more demonstrative with them.... it's easy when they are young... so the girls get plenty! I will have to do better!
Love you!!

Yvonne said...

Cherie: You are right--love truly is the greatest message.

Yes, I will love the people at Best Buy as I write my letter ; )

heffalump: You are so right--our children do need to see our love in action. It definitely does give them security.

sheila: Thanks. We don't need to love the weaknesses but we do need to love each other.

ambrosia: Always expressing love is so very important.

sheri: There was a time with one of my boys when they were at a tough age and just seemed to be doing everything they could to irritate me (at least that's how it felt). I knew that I needed to find something positive to say to him each day as he left for school, followed by I love you--some days it was really tough, but I'm sure glad I did it.

I love you, too, sheri.

Connie said...

What a great picture! I don't always say I Love You to the people I need to. It's so easy to say it to my grandchildren, why do I hesitate with the others...hmmm...it's time to change.

brown paper packages said...

It sounds so simple, but it's amazing the power it has.

LOVE the pic of you and your husband!

aurora said...

This was a wonderful talk and a wonderful post about it! Thank you.
I really feel that those things are true.

Oh, and that is THE CUTEST picture of you two. xo

Yvonne said...

connie: I think Elder Bednar's talk was a great reminder to all of us.

brown paper: Yes it does have great power.

It's one of my favorite pics.

aurora: Thanks, aurora. I loved the talk.

So glad I had my gorillapod that day ; )

Valerie said...

That is ONE talk we were able to listen to on the radio as we were driving to Disneyland. (Inigo quit talking for about 15 minutes right at that minute.) ;-) I remember thinking how true it was and that I need to work harder at letting my family know each day that I love them. It's such an easy thing to do....
Thanks again for the reminder!

Corrine said...

thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the robust Network Monitoring utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central desktop management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!