Friday, October 2, 2009

What I Love About October

October is a favorite month--we have many wonderful things to celebrate, many of which I will be posting about during the month.

1) It's Fall and it doesn't snow until the end of the month--that's cause for celebration to me ; )

2) Heidi's birthday is on Wednesday.

3) Brandon, one of my grandson's, has a birthday on the 10th.

4) And, of course, our anniversary is the 23rd.

On the 24th and 25th we have Stake Conference. I have always enjoyed Stake Conference. I appreciate so much our Stake Leaders.

And although we don't "celebrate" it, the first weekend of October is General Conference. This will be a first for me--I have never gone ALONE to conference. I love knowing that Allan, Heidi , Brent, and Kyle will be attending together.

I love General Conference. I'm so grateful we get to go to the Stake Center and listen to it--I remember the days of listening to it on the side-band radio. You really had to struggle to listen. I love that today we can sit and watch the speakers as they address us. No matter what is happening in my life, I always feel uplifted, strengthened and motivated when I attend Conference. I appreciate so much the opportunity to hear our leaders and be taught the things that we need to know at this time. I'm always reminded of God's love for all of us.

I will never forget the first time I attended General Conference--it was October 1982--just a few weeks before Allan and I were married. As I sat in the Tabernacle, when President Kimball walked in and we all stood to sing, "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet", I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he truly was a Prophet.

If you want to have some fun, go here, and participate in justrandi's General Conference Quote Challenge. It's always great to hear other people's thoughts.

Sidenote: Tomorrow is the 5K. I'm starting to get scared. My son-in-law asked if I had a time in mind that I wanted to finish the run. Not at all--I just want to FINISH. I will update this post tomorrow morning when I come how to clean up before heading to the Stake Center to watch Conference.

UPDATE: I DID IT. I am so excited to have completed my first 5 K race. More to follow next week.

20 comments:

Heffalump said...

Good luck with your race!
We watch conference at home online, and we get puzzles and set up a table and it keeps the kids busy and with us in the room while we are all watching. Before we started the puzzle tradition they never sat still through conference, and going to the church to watch was a nightmare.

Carrot Jello said...

Uh, you forgot my birthday.
I'm sure you just forgot.

Connie said...

I am on pins and needles about your 5K tomorrow! Seriously. This is the way I get before I run one!
Let us know how you do. Do you think they'll have ice cream sandwiches?

Neal said...

Good luck tomorrow!!!!!

ShEiLa said...

I have two kids b.days in October.
Yvette on the 24th. Celestial's hubby Elijah on the 29th. My sister Tess has hers on the
28th... and then there is Halloween.

The weather gets nice here in Nevada.

The St.George Marathon is tomorrow.
Can you imagine running 26 miles??? I can't.

ToOdLeS.

Tonya said...

I love October as well. It's close to if not my favorite month of the year.

I've always loved conference as well. I remember watching it the first time and seeing President Hinkley and knowing something was special about him.

You will do great tomorrow.

Tiff's Tickles said...

Best of luck with your race. I'm sure you will do wonderfully. I love conference weekend, listening to the speakers and getting my spiritual canteen full is always a joy.:)

Tiff's Tickles said...

Oh, and I love October because my anniversary is on the 12th!!!:)

Valerie said...

We'll be listening to Conference on the radio as we drive through Utah.... (Oh. I just realized that traffic through SLC is going to be pretty thick. Ugh.)

Good luck on the race!!!! I'll check FB and your blog to see how you did!

txmommy said...

I remember sitting in our kitchen, where the radio was, and listening when I was very small. We'd pretty much lay on the floor and sneak cookies while mom and dad carefully listened. Now we watch at home and my kids lay on the floor:)

Natalie said...

Congratulations on finishing the race. WOW! YOU ROCK!
I am so impressed and so happy that you did so well.
I have a son who runs in marathons, half marathons, and 5k's. Now his wife runs too.
I love conference too. We just finihed listening to the first session on our computer. It was so great.
Fun to read Txmommy's comment on your post.:)

Hugs

Klin said...

Congrats on your race!!!

We celebrate out 20th Anniversary on the 20th this month. We are going to Nauvoo and Carthage the week before with our daughters and my mom. I can't wait.

Amber said...

You are a rock star and will do such a great job with your race!

October is my favorite month as well. Perhaps one year we'll actually meet and celebrate. :-)

JustRandi said...

squeeeeeal!
You did it!!!
I am SO proud of you, and I can't wait to hear all about it!

Doran & Jody said...

WoHOOOOO!!! You go girl!!!
Keep on a runnin'.

Ambrosia said...

Congratulations on completing the race!
Conference was lovely today, wasn't it?
Thanks for the grateful list. I like reading other people's lists because it reminds me of all that I have. Plus, it reminds me that October is a pretty nice month.

Sheri said...

So proud of you and grateful I can watch conference in my own home! Although that sometimes makes me lazier about it, like not dressing up!!

Corrine said...

congrats on your first 5 k and love conference too!!!

carolyne b said...

it has been a personal dream of mine to attend conference in SL. I can only imagine what the spirit was like when our beloved Prophet enters the room and everyone stands to sing we thank thee o god for a prophet? Amazing!!!!!

Nancy Face said...

Great job on the race! HOORAY! :D

I love that Lauren and Ted don't have TV service at their apartment, so they come watch Conference with us at our house! :)