Monday, November 16, 2009

Counting Sleeps

When I was a little girl I would get so excited before the first day of school, last day of school, my birthday, Christmas--any of those things would make it difficult for me to sleep. Yes, first day and last day of school, birthdays and Christmas are wonderful BUT NOTHING BEATS GETTING TO BE WITH FAMILY. I'm getting so excited--only 8 more sleeps ; )

Normally I would be very excited about leaving the cold weather in Winnipeg BUT IT'S NOT COLD. Several of the kids are worried about their dad being home alone for Thanksgiving. Because he will have just started his new job, he's not sure whether he will be traveling.. He will be out of town the week before and the beginning of that week, but we're not sure about the end of the week yet. I told him if he wants to have the missionaries here for dinner, I would do as much as I could before hand and have everything ready for him and all he'd have to do is the turkey and potatoes/gravy. We'll have to see--if all else fails, he can do what we did on Canadian Thanksgiving and go out for dinner ; )

So knowing Allan will not starve, I can be excited about being able to see some of these guys-- unfortunately one of my grandson's has relocated to the Pacific Northwest and will not be able to come home for Thanksgiving. (I love you and will miss you, Jason ; ). We always have such a great time whenever we're together. They are just the cutest family.

And, of course, these guys will be there:

And, I understand these guys are coming over the mountain to have Thanksgiving with us. YIPPEE!!!!

Can you tell I'm just a LITTLE EXCITED. Needless to say, it would be GREAT if the others could be there, but we can't do much about that.

After I get home I will count down the sleeps until:
  • My friend, Mary, comes from Toronto to visit for the weekend.
  • The kids come home for Christmas.
  • My birthday, because not only will it be my 59th birthday but it is the day JACK is back.
Sidenote #1: We had SuperSaturday last weekend and it was great. I actually finished a couple of projects--that is highly unusual. I also got some instructions on my advent calendar that I had put aside for some time. Hopefully that will get finished this year. Here are a couple of things we did:

My friend, Rosella, taught us how to do these cute little paper purses for giftcards

One of the new young moms in our Ward showed us how to do these great wood blocks. I love mine.

Another young mom, Michelle, who is an avid scrapbooker, did a paperbag album. I got my album together but didn't do any of the pages. I started it when I got home and I love it. I have a couple of little grandsons I think would like pictures of their family to take to Church and this might be a fun thing for them.

Sidenote #2: Allan had flown to one of our branches on Saturday and when he got home on Sunday night, he called me from the airport to pick him up. He had driven his car to the airport so I was a little confused. He explained that he couldn't open the doors of his car--not with his remote or his automatic start or even his key. He thought maybe the battery was dead so thought maybe we could use jumper cables and then realized you can't lift the hood without opening the doors and releasing the latch. I guess it's a glitch on the car's computer. Fortunately, he won't need his car this week.

Sidenote #3: I worked on my family history yesterday and came across the funniest first name--Hepsibah. She is my great great great great great grandmother on my dad's side.

20 comments:

The Garden of Egan said...

I'm excited for you! I want to see the craft that you didn't take a picture of, you know the one to keep your grandkids quiet.
It looks like you had a great time!
I'm excited that you'll be together with family, sorry about the hubs being alone, I'll bet he'll find something to fill his day (football on TV maybe)
Enjoy counting the sleeps!

Melissa said...

You'd better sleep or you won't be able to enjoy your family :D I hope that you have a super fantastic time with your kids!!
I love all your crafty projects! Those wooden blocks are fantastic!!
Have a great day :)

ShEiLa said...

It is so exciting that you get to see so many for Thanksgiving... can you sleep. ;)

Lucky YOU!

I think Alan will be ok. When you go out to dinner... no mess to clean up.

ToOdLeS.

Natalie said...

I'm excited for you. You will have so much fun with your family. I will be counting sleeps with you.
Sorry for Allan, but he could have a great time with the missionaries and they will l o v e it. I'm going to invite out district over.

Whitney said...

I like that idea - counting sleeps. :) I'm getting that way about New Moon coming out, ha ha!
Have a great Thanksgiving!
I love the paper gift bags. Those are so cute! I'm always impressed that people take the time to make such cute things :) I'm not creative enough to invent things like that!

Small House said...

WOOT! WOOT! Enjoy visiting your family!! Darn your husband can't join you. I'm all about families that feed the missionaries though!

Cute craft items!!
Have a great day.
Sandra

Heffalump said...

Yay for visiting!
Hepsibah makes me think of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. I think it is a biblical name.

Cherie said...

I too am excited that you get to be with your family at Thanksgiving. What a happy and good looking bunch! You sure have alot to look forward to during the holidays Yvonne - You are a blessed woman!
I love your crafts - Very fun the little purses are super cute - never seen those :D

Klin said...

I just loved reading this and getting all excited for you. I needed this and yet you posted it for you. Thanks.

Happy Safe Travel Wishes Coming Your Way.

Tonya said...

I am just like that when I'm excited but I count down like this "8 more wake ups" lol

So glad you get to be with your awesome family. I know you'll miss Allan but hooray for him having a job :o)

Amber said...

Yes, I can tell you're a wee bit excited and justifiably so. Honestly, when I came over to your blog my first thought was, "I wonder where Yvonne is going now!"

mindyluwho said...

Only 7 more sleeps now!

Have a wonderful time!

Valerie said...

You are going to have a great time! I think Thanksgiving is the best because it's all about just being with family... and of course the FOOD! Food and Family... for me, that's what life is all about!

Love your crafts!!

Sheri said...

I love it!! Yeah for you and being with family on Thanksgiving!! You are always so on the go! You amaze me! good luck with the race!!

brown paper packages said...

Have a WONDERFUL time!!!

Ambrosia said...

I love counting sleeps! I am so glad you have super fun events to look forward to!

JustRandi said...

I LOVE those little purses! How darling. Were they hard to do?

Excited for you to get to see your fam. Those are the best times!

Nancy Face said...

Your projects turned out so cute! Your family pictures are wonderful, as always! :)

I remember hearing the name "Hepsibah" near the end of "7 Brides for 7 Brothers"!

Heidi said...

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited to see you and everyone else:) I always miss you and look forward to when I can see you cuz I LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH:) I like that picture of Brent, Kyle, and I---was that from Hawaii???

Anonymous said...

hi yvonne, thought you might find this useful:Counting Sleeps.
:-)