Friday, November 27, 2009

Thus Far


The trip to California was uneventful--but can I just say how irritated I am with the airlines and this whole $30 to put your bag on the plane, and 0 to carry it on. Why???? It just doesn't make sense. And then my bag was 2 pounds overweight and that was going to cost me an additional $120.

Stayed up way, way too late the first tonight watching old SNL clips. Went out running errands with Stephen on Wednesday--picked up our packets for the race on Thursday. Kept in touch with Heidi and the gang. (Poor Heidi got a speeding ticket and then she got written up at the Agriculture stop into California--I guess she was trying to smuggle an apple through ; ) Stephen had made stew and when the kids arrived we had a delicious dinner. We then played Pictionary Man--it was too funny. The best was when Brandon had the category "Movie" and drew what he read as "Gold Mountain"--and that's what we guessed and then Stephen said, "Hey, B, are you sure it isn't "Cold Mountain". Oops!!!

We got up early on Thursday to make the 30 minute drive to where the race was taking place. Brent came along as our "official photographer". He snapped a few pictures along the way. Here were are before the race began.

It was a little overwhelming for me--this is only my second race and there were so many people there. I was a little concerned because I wouldn't know the terrain or if I was going to slow (or even too fast). Stephen said there were mile markers along the way. After 13 minutes, I hadn't seen a single marker and I was quite concerned. (I never saw one--I guess there were little cones with the miles on them.) I managed to cross the finish line at around 36 minutes--about 3 minutes faster than my first race.

We all made it. Of the 5 of us, I was the last one to cross the finish line, BUT AT LEAST I CROSSED ; ) I also realized I am now an International Runner ; ) It was fun to have Daphne's brother, Chris, join us.

After getting cleaned up at the hotel, Heidi and I headed to Stephen and Daphne's. Wendy and Tony arrived a few hours later and we just enjoyed being together. It was a lot of fun. Stephen and Daphne put on a delicious spread. When it came time to eat I was torn--you know how much I love chocolate, so what was I to do

The food was delicious, the company was GREAT, and I ate way too much. I was wishing I had Joey's "Thanksgiving Pants" (you had to see the episode of friends ; )

We had pies and Death by Chocolate for dessert.

It was a fabulous day--only one thing missing--my cute little hubby. I'm thankful for our friends, Patti and Ken, who had him over for Thanksgiving dinner. (Patti is a superb cook, so I know he had a FABULOUS meal)

Later that night many of us went to see Blindside. It was EXCELLENT.

Heidi and I didn't go out shopping in the morning. Daphne, Stephen, Kiah, Brent, and Kyle headed out at 3 a.m. Hopefully they got some good deals.

Tonight we are going out for suishi.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

19 comments:

The Garden of Egan said...

Congrats on finishing the race! That is awesome. A great way to run off some upcoming calories.

I can't imagine getting up to go to the sales in California. Way too overwhelming for me!!!

Connie said...

36 minutes! You rock!!! It sounds like you're having lots of fun - too bad about the airlines trying to gouge you every which way! I tended a granddaughter while everyone else went shopping this morning! First time in years that I haven't gone out but I did give my debit card to my kids to pick up a few things I needed! So I was there in $pirit.
Have a great vacation!

Ambrosia said...

I think you are amazing for running in these races! I think I would have been shaking in my running shoes if I hadn't seen a mile marker.

Thanksgiving sounded like a blast!! 3 am?!?! I don't blame you for not going. I would rather pay more than get up early : ).

ShEiLa said...

That is crazy...
poor Heidi. Tell her I am sorry.
Who knew... and the speeding ticket... Isn't that because she had foot surgery awhile ago??? ;)

Also the turkey and extra's Stephen and Daphne's. Yum. I see it was kind of a casual spread like us... maybe a bit fancier. I served from the pans or bowls etc. I cooked in and we used paper plates and plastic cups... first time ever. Made it easier on the clean up.

I am going to have to come up with a running nickname for you... my international event friend.

ToOdLeS.

Romy said...

Glad to read that you're having a wonderful time! Congrats on the race! You are so amazing to me!

Please say "Hi" to Brent and Kyle, and give Heidi a big hug from me!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays! :D

Tonya said...

Way to go girl!! You are so awesome.

Dinner looks like it was delicious. Glad you had a good day.

Macy said...

So fun to see everyone together in that picture! And congrats on the race.

mindyluwho said...

You amaze me! Way to go on beating your record!

Millie said...

Hooray for a great trip so far!

I'm with you on the airline baggage thing. You could always try shipping your stuff home instead of bringing it on the plane. :)

Natalie said...

Congratulations on the race. You are amazing.

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving and are having a good trip. I'm so glad.

I have mixed feelings on friday. I want the deals, but do not want to get up that early. No choice here, so I stayed in bed.:)

Sharon said...

Way to go! Hope Thanksgiving is going well. I'm glad you're having a super great time!

Amber said...

You are seriously so insprirational. Congrats on a GREAT finish!

I hear you about the bags. The kids & I have been in Calgary for 12 days & I managed to cram everything into just one bag because I didn't want to pay more. Should be ugly trying to fit it all in on the way back!

utmommy said...

Way to go on the race!!!

I totally want to see The Blindside. We saw The Christmas Carol, and I was not impressed.

I needed Joey's Thanksgiving pants too:)

Heffalump said...

I'm glad you have been enjoying your time with family!
I also admire your continued running.

Roxanne said...

Yvonne great for you finishing the race. It's it grand to be around family for the Holidays. We had a slight sprinkling of snow, very festive but the roads are slippery.

Don't even get me started about luggage I almost missed a plane because of hand lotion ugh, my poor panicked hubby. I had to go back downstairs and recheck in.

I remember Heidi getting a speeding ticket in the past, drives like her father maybe.

Have a great time and we'll see you soon, let me know when you are back

Nancy Face said...

How fun that BOTH of us turkeys were out trotting on Thanksgiving! Tee hee! ;)

I'm so glad you got to have a wonderful time being with your family! :D

brown paper packages said...

Awesome job on the race!!! Glad you had such a good day-- Happy Thanksgiving!!

Cherie said...

I am so proud of you for finishing your race and faster than the first one! Good Job that is SO awesome!!
You have a beautiful family and I am so glad you had a great Thanksgiving!
P.S. I saw you made the little turkeys! Woot!
Also, I have never heard of anyone getting written up at the agricultural stop - that made me laugh!

JustRandi said...

Those chocolate turkeys are darling!!

And I'm so proud of you and your international runningness! Isn't it fun when your times get better? I love that running is about just beating myself and nobody else.