Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What I Know Wednesday--I WILL REMEMBER

Today is Remembrance Day. I love that it falls in November when we think so much about gratitude. Growing up in the United States, I always knew November 11th as Veteran's Day. Here it is Remembrance Day--the day Canadians pause to remember "those who have served and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace." The schools are closed today but yesterday throughout the Province, assemblies were held. Most everywhere you go during the beginning of November, people wear poppies on their coats.

When Kyle was in elementary school, one year his class had to memorize the poem "In Flanders Fields". It was so great to go to the school and attend the Remembrance Day assembly when his little class recited the poem. Not too far from our house is a little memorial that has the names of the men who lived in our part of the city who have died in the wars that Canada has participated in. After one of the assemblies, Kyle asked if we could get flowers and go and put them on the memorial. We did and every time I pass that little memorial I REMEMBER.

So on this Remembrance Day, I want to post the poem:

In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scare heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from falling hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.
--John McCrae


Wal-Mart is airing a really sweet commercial--it has a soldier in the Middle East and all of the sudden it starts snowing and it flashes to his son who is leaving a visit to Santa when his mom asks, "So, what did you ask for?" The little boy says, "Something for Dad." The narrator comes on and says, "TO ALL OUR TROOPS AND THEIR FAMILIES, THANK YOU. BECAUSE OF YOU, WE ARE ALL LIVING BETTER."

So What Do I Know on this Wednesday--I Know I will always remember those who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms we enjoy. I'm so grateful for all who keep us safe.




11 comments:

sweetpea said...

Sometimes it's easy to forget the sacrifices that have been made, and continue to be made on our behalf--especially when it may not be a part of our regular day. I hope that each one of us can stop today, and be thankful for our lives, and then be thankful to all those that gave up so much for us to have them.

The Garden of Egan said...

Love that poem! I have a son that served a tour of duty in Iraq. Grateful he's home, but am proud that he was willing to serve.

Love your pictures.

Natalie said...

I love that poem. It is one that I have memorized.
I too am thankful for the sacrifices that have been made.

Melissa said...

What a great post! You know, I don't think our school did anything. Maybe we'll have to do something with the kids while they are home from school today!

Heffalump said...

I think that here in the U.S. a lot of people think of it as just another day off, and that is pretty sad!
Thanks for the reminder. That is a very lovely poem.

Ambrosia said...

Amidst my everyday activities I forgot today was Veteran's Day! Thank you for reminding me! Those soldiers who sacrificed themselves for us at home must always be remembered. What a sweet poem.

Valerie said...

Beautiful! This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing that poem.
We have a new Veteran's Memorial in our town... it was dedicated just a couple months ago. It is right by my house. We have spent time there as a family, reading the names and talking about the service these men and women provided for our country. It's sobering but vitally important to share with our children!

Small House said...

Great poem. I wonder if your son can still remember it? Just thinking....
I agree with "what you know." We are certainly blessed by those who sacrifice so much.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Small House said...

I have to comment on your comment on my blog. I have never heard of a "no fragrance" policy. When I read that I said "WHAT?" out loud. (I'm at work ummmm....) I'd like to see them bring that one up in Welfare meeting in our ward. I'm afraid the monster in me would come out.

Have a great day.
Sandra

Corrine said...

metoo!

ShEiLa said...

I will remember the sacrafice... don't agree that they should be there in the middle east.

I love the commerical Wal-Mart put out. I do try NOT to shop at Wal-Mart. (they should take care of their own... and I am not talking CEO's)

ToOdLeS.