Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What I Know Wednesday--Some Things Do No Good If They Sit in a Box

Now, as you look at the title you may wonder.

The other day I saw an infomercial for a Pilates chair and was tempted, especially with all the promises. I thought--If I get one of those I WILL lose one pant or dress size in 10 days. It says so on TV, it must be true. But then I thought about all the exercise DVD's I have sitting on my shelf, resistance bands, weights, the on-line subscription I have to Weight Watchers, etc. They will not do me any good if I don't do the exercises or follow the plan.

This made me think about the Gospel--I may know and understand certain principles, but if I don't take them out of the box--so to speak, I will not enjoy the benefits.

Now back to the title: what things could possibly benefit me if I left them IN the box--those cookies, candy, potato chips, ice cream, all the things that are keeping me from seeing the scale head in the other direction.

So What Do I Know this Wednesday: I need to get busy and start DOING. Change requires work.

Sidenote: I went out Christmas shopping yesterday. It is so hard when there is no snow on the ground. It just doesn't feel like Christmas.

I have been spending a lot of my free time working on this little advent calendar. I still have quite a bit of work to do, but I'm enjoying doing it. I've got to figure out how to put the little headpieces on the shepherds. When it's finished I'll post it.


19 comments:

The Garden of Egan said...

Cute journey to Bethlehem! I saw one of those a few years ago and coveted.
Good thoughts on the Gospel....get up and do it.

Heffalump said...

That is an awesome advent calendar!

I need to learn to leave junk food in the package, or better yet, leave it at the store!

Doran & Jody said...

That is so cute! I have never seen one before. Details, details...

ShEiLa said...

very cute advent calendar.

What I know?
It is a whole lot easier to take food, esp. treats out of a box than it is exercise equipment.

ToOdLeS.

Macy said...

Love the calendar. Where did you get it?

Valerie said...

I love the Advent Calendar and can't wait to see it when it's finished!! I would love to collect those in addition to my nativity sets!
I love what you know today. It's something I have been thinking about lately. I wonder what I will do about it?!?

JustRandi said...

Love the calendar! And I love your What I Know.
Too bad I don't always remember it.

Ambrosia said...

What a wonderful reminder! Thank you!

Small House said...

OH...cute Journey to Bethlehem! I agree with your "What I know Wednesday" comment.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Nancy Face said...

Your advent calendar looks great! :)

I've been doing all my Christmas shopping online, and I LOVE it! I put on Christmas music yesterday and it made me happy, but Zach Face said he's not in the mood yet, haha! :D

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Love the advent calendar- and the perspective-

We can carry the scriptures in our hands but it won't get into our hearts and heads unless we "open the box" box and use them.

Is there a source for the advent calendar?

Sheri said...

Love the calendar!! GReat thoughts!!

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

That calendar is so cool. I love Christmas decorations, but it's hard to find stuff that's actually Christmas-themed (you know, not Santa or winter themed). I love it.

Jess said...

I love your title. I have the same problem. If only our great thoughts always turned into actions.
Cute advent calendar.

Romy said...

That's an awesome advent calendar! It's nice to see one that puts the focus on the real reason for Christmas!

I really appreciated your comments about committing to DO and not just having wishful thoughts about doing! Thanks for being a great example! :D

Tonya said...

As usual, very wise words from a very wise woman. I can't believe you don't have snow yet.

P.S. Way cute calendar.

Melissa said...

Change requires work... I love it!

And the advent calendar is awesome!! Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Heidi said...

Wow mom----that looks awesome!!! You are so crafty and clever and always give so much of your time and talents to make others happy! Thank you for all you have done for me:) I sure love you!!!!

Gina said...

Love the advent calendar! You are so crafty! I love it!