Thursday, December 3, 2009

Getting Ready

This morning I headed out to buy the "perfect" Christmas tree. Last night when we went out we found a HUGE one, but we were afraid it would totally OVERTAKE the living room, so I went back this morning. The new trees are not out yet, but the guy at the Nursery said he would pick me out a 9 1/2 foot fraser fur and put it on a stand, and we'll pick it up tomorrow. I've never done that before so WISH ME LUCK (PLEASE DON'T REPRIMAND ME OR TELL ME I'M STUPID. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll do enough of that myself ; ) It will go in the living room.

For now I have three trees decorated and in place, here--which is a landing over the front door--it looks fabulous from outside ; ),

here--in the family room

and here--still need to find a few more ornaments and a topper for this tree The nativities are up and the stockings are hung.

I've gotten a lot of shopping done--and I've even wrapped a few presents. My little Christmas elf is busy shopping for me at Best Buy in the states. It's very frustrating how much cheaper DVD's and blue-rays are there. I'm still looking for little gifts for the 45 missionaries we'll have here for dinner on Christmas Eve. I've picked up a few things here and there. It was so fun last year

My friend, Mary, comes tomorrow. It has been a few years since we've been together and I can hardly wait. I pick her up at the airport tomorrow morning and we'll grab sandwiches and go to Allan's office and have lunch--since I haven't seen his new office, I think that sounds like fun.

I do know there is a fantastic dessert party being held in the Boston area that I REALLY wish I was attending this weekend. The main draw is I would be able to hang out with this little guy. BTW, all those toys he's looking at belong to his daddy ; ) And that's not even all of them.

Let me just add, that this is the first time that I have been the one to put the characters on the advent calendar. It was part of Kyle's morning ritual for years--first the chocolate calendar and then the advent calendar in the kitchen.

How about you? Are you getting ready???

Sidenote:
I've been trying to get a DVD ready for my Relief Society lesson on Sunday. Thank goodness for smart children who are computer savvy. Thanks, Neal.




17 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this post! Really gets me in the Christmas spirit! It's hard to remember the Christmas season because all I think about right now is balloons. Were we at the dessert party two years ago? I can't remember if that's the weekend you came.

txmommy said...

I like your tree!
How fun that you get the missionaries for Christmas again:)

Neal said...

We really wish you were here for the Dessert Party - you were a HUGE help that year. G-Man keeps reminding us that he received his toy schoolhouse from "Grandma Onnie" ; )

The Garden of Egan said...

You sound a bit too busy! I hope you are enjoying though. I think that all that adds to the excitment of making things special for others.
HUGS

Valerie said...

:(
I still don't have my Christmas tree!! But Max just walked in the door from his week away and I'm hoping I can drag him away from his local office so we can get one tomorrow...

I keep saying that I wish you had lived in Winnipeg when he was a missionary there. I know he would have loved you! All the missionary mommies thank you for taking such good care of thier sons!

ShEiLa said...

Yvonne,

forgive me...
I did this to two bloggy-buddies today. Started reading your blogs and got sidetracked with things that needed doing.

Yep, I am getting ready here. It is so nice being ahead of the game instead of behind. All of our shopping is done... everything I have is wrapped. Waiting for some UPS deliveries. I still have neighbor/friend goodies to get together. But I am better organized than I ever have been.

Good luck with the tree...
and thanks for sharing the photos.

ToOdLeS.

Natalie said...

Happy December.
Yes, my tree is up. Alas it's only about 32cms high. We had not trouble getting it through the door.:)
I too will have the missionaries over.
Sounds like you are very busy and moving right along in your preparations.

carolyne b said...

Wow I haven't even started. the tree is still under the crawl space along with various Christmas stuff.
And saddly I don't know when I'll get a chance to do it. Christmas eve maybe :(
Church Christmas party tomorrow night, next weekend the Navitity. Hope to see you there Yvonne.

Suzanne said...

Your trees look so pretty and your home sounds so festive! I bet the missionaries will have a wonderful time there! :)

Romy said...

You constantly amaze me! My plans for putting up our ONE tree this week got pre-empted (sigh), but at least I've gotten started on my shopping! I LOVE online shopping...no muss, no fuss, no losing my patience in the parking lot before I even get into the mall! Hahaha!

Thanks for helping put me into the Christmas mood!

utmommy said...

How fun! I love all the "getting ready". Love the trees. I can't believe you'll have 45 missionaries over, that's a ton.

Tonya said...

You are so on the ball. I have most of my shopping done but no decorations up yet.

I was going to start tonight but this cold has left me feeling yucky. I'll get there.

Klin said...

I've got the nativities up and just one tree this year. I hope that next year the family room will be finished and I will be able to do a second tree. I love that you have 3! Fantastic!

Hmmmm about those missionaries. . . . . I keep thinking that little nativity ornament or picture would be great. Maybe your testimony printed out for them to hand out. But I'd want to give them something just for them to take home and keep. Let me know what you decide. It's be just right cause you're great like that.

Amber said...

I think we're ready. Still some minor stocking stuffers but you just reminded me I need to go buy some Christmas crackers. They're tough to find in the U.S.

Corrine said...

WOW do you host the whole zone? or a few zones? We decorated the week of Thanksgiving because we were going to be gone all weekend. Last night we wrapped gifts and put them under the tree...now we wait for Santa...

we don't have an advent calendar and I tried to do something clever with little boxes and numbers but the kids got to them...before I could figure out how to hang them up. ok you didn't want a novel sorry...

brown paper packages said...

I'm loving all your trees!!!

I think I'm getting close to being ready...still a bunch of sewing projects to do, but the house is decorated!

mindyluwho said...

Your tree is beautiful! Actually all of them are.

Our tree is up. We go to a place up the hill and cut one down each year. Usually it's too tall for our house, but this year we rented a home and the living room is two stories high, so the tree didn't need any trimming off the top!

Merry Christmas!