Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Last of the 50's

Tomorrow is my 59th Birthday--the last year I will be in the 50's. I know age is just a number. I'd like to think I'm not that old until I look in the mirror and the truth kind of hits me in the face. Can I just say I NEVER thought I'd be this old, but getting older sure beats the alternative BEING DEAD.

I'm so excited that Allan called Fox and made arrangements for Jack to come back on my birthday. I'm thrilled.

I have had a great 59 years. No, not perfect, but I've tried to make the most of them. I've tried to learn as much as I could along the way. I wouldn't want to have anyone else's life. I'm pretty happy with mine. Mistakes, yea, like Frank, "I've made a few", but, unlike Frank, not too few to mention, I just won't mention them.

I've been very fortunate to have been blessed with a great family. My parents were wonderful people and loved me and taught me, and I was very blessed to have them for 13 years. It would have been great to have them longer, but my sisters and I were very fortunate to have Helen and Les raise us after our parents passed away.

I was so fortunate to be introduced to The Church and was baptized when I was 23. It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. A couple of weeks ago I had a chance to go and teach one of the new member discussions to a recent convert and I told her how I have never looked back on that decision.

I have a fantastic man to share my life with--when I turn 62, we will have been together half my life. I have great kids/grandkids/and a great grandson. It is so exciting to think about the future and what it will bring.

Now because it is my day, I will post a few pictures from my 59 years. I am only posting a few pictures--I thought 59 was JUST TOO MANY. (Aren't you relieved ; )

First of all you have to know it is taking every ounce of courage to post this picture. (I don't remember EVER seeing this picture before, but my baby sister put it on our family website, and since there are not many pictures of me as a young girl (yes, girl) I had to post it.

Probably my Junior Year of high school--and no, that is not a bump it ; )

My 21st birthday, with my little boy, Stephen.

My life changed dramatically in 1982 when I married the man of dreams.
November 1983--Heidi's blessing day


She always loved school, so it was only natural that she would become a teacher. (I always wanted to be a teacher or a nurse)

In 1984, we became grandparents and it was so exciting and he has grown into such a fine young man who got married last year.

August 1985--our new little boy

Jan 2005 a fantastic day--Brent giving us the "see you in two years" sign.

One of my favorite pictures of some of the important men in my life. This was taken in June of 1989


We were so proud of Neal when he decided to go back to BYU to graduate. (He was like 3 credits short) His moving to Utah brought MANY blessings--but ONE VERY SPECIAL ONE ; ) April 2004
We celebrated Neal's graduation at LaCaille--and I love this picture of Wendy and Tony there--a reminder of a few great meals that we have enjoyed there.

It was great to have everyone together when Neal and Macy were married.

Speaking of weddings--Wendy and Tony were married in Indiana in 1994. I love this picture of her and her dad.

And in 2006 this little family was sealed in the Hawaii temple

The first 10 years of our marriage we had a baby born in our family EVERY year. 1983 Heidi, 84 Chris, 85 Brent, 86 Amanda, 87 Evan, 88 Jason, 89 Josh, 90 Kiah, and then in 1991 Kyle.

We were all glad to have Kyle with us--after two months of being in the hospital with severe dehydration NO ONE WAS HAPPIER THAN ME.
Kyle's grad night.

We have had more weddings, more births, more blessings and baptisms--impossible to put them all on here, but they have all been highlights. Obviously, family is very important to Allan and I, and all of his kids love him. I wish I could have posted the picture I have of Neal and Nancy with Allan and he's wearing a shirt that reads "I am a great dad because I have great kids"--so true. But I love this one, too. Nancy always talks about there not being many pictures of her as a baby with her dad, so this was the best I could do.
But I also love this picture of these guys with their dad--seeing them all together always makes me feel good.

In 2008, we became great grandparents. It is too bad that we live so far away from this little guy.

We love family vacations and reunions and have had some great ones.

One of our favorite places to visit for years when we lived in California was North Star. This was about a month before Brent was born.

And a year later

In 1989, Allan and I went to Cali for my 20 year high school reunion, and we spent time with my family. We actually got a picture of all of us--a very rare occurrence.
I love this picture from our 1995 reunion.

2002 Park City

2006 at Herringtons--here are some of the lovely ladies.

2008--Hawaii

And how can I not conclude with one of the highlights of last year--running with some of my family in a 5K. Now we're hoping for some 10K's next year.





24 comments:

Nancy Face said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! YAY! :D

Lt. Col. Samantha Carter said...

What a wonderful life! Have a wonderful Birthday to match!!!

glittersmama said...

You have been one busy mama.

Happy birthday!

and good job Allan coordinating with Fox like that.

Macy said...

Great photos! Happy birthday!

Carrot Jello said...

Happy Birthday! You've been really blessed :)

utmommy said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day. You deserve it.

ShEiLa said...

Happy Birthday!!!

I think you are more beautiful with every year. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I agree with 'glittersmama' you are a busy lady. One that will wear out... not rust out. That is what keeps you looking so young.

I looked at Heidi's blessing day photo in 1983 and thought... your Heidi and my Celestial were blessed the same year. Cest just a several months earlier.

YOU have been a grandmother alot longer than I... but seeing how you are makes me want to be more like you in that department.

I hope you are having a wonderful day.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

Happy Birthday, Yvonne! Great pictures of you at every age! What a wonderful family you have.
I hope this last year of the 50's treats you well!

sweetpea said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And really, to have Jack back on your birthday...that's one of the best presents ever!!!

I LOVE the wedding pic of you and Allan--what a great looking couple!

PJ said...

Wow, what a good life:) Happy Birthday!

txmommy said...

Happy Happy Birthday Yvonne Dear!!

Tonya said...

You have a great family but that's due in large part to how great you are. Happy Birthday lovely lady.

Melissa said...

Happy birthday!! I love your family pictures! I hope that you had a fantastic day today :)

Doran & Jody said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Just think how many races you get to run in to equal your age. I am thinking of doing that this year. Don't know about the racing part, but the miles on my own might happen. First I gotta get off the couch.

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!

Natalie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR YVONNE!
What wonderful pictures to show a wonderful life.
Hugs.

JustRandi said...

i agree with sheila! you are more beautiful every single year!!
I hope your day was as wonderful as you are!

Heidi said...

You have lived a great life and sure have made my life great:) I love ya TONS and miss ya and look forward to being with you again!!! It is fun seeing your pictures:) I can see part of me in your younger picture...

Heffalump said...

Happy Birthday late! Lovely pics as always!

Small House said...

WELL....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It looks as though you have had a wonderful life. It's my opinion, that what goes around comes around. And I'm sure you've been a bright spot to allot of people.

And really, how could Jack say no to you???
Have a great day.
Sandra

The Garden of Egan said...

Happy Birthday! Late!
Loved the pictures of you and your family.
The years have flown haven't they?
Looks like you have some wonderful memories to hang onto.

Ambrosia said...

Happy belated birthday! You have had a full and amazing life!!

Valerie said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your memories!! I'm glad your day was great and I'm glad Jack is back in it!! (This season I remembered to set it up on DVR so I won't miss it!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Jess said...

Love all the great pics. Hope you had a fantastic birthday.

Cherie said...

I REALLY enjoyed the pictures! You are a beautiful woman and so smiley!!! I hope we get to meet one day :D