Monday, January 4, 2010

ONE WORD RESOLUTION

I saw this on justrandi's blog and loved it. As I've been walking around the house--and I feel like I'm walking in circles--trying to take down decorations and deal with the SILENCE in the house, I decided the word for me that I will focus on this year is SMILE.

I think attitude is key to so much of what we do and so much of what we deal with--trying to stay positive is something I really need to try to do. I struggle trying to find the good in every situation and realizing I cannot control everything and everyone. So thinking about smiling through everything may help me do better. Someone made a comment in their testimony yesterday about Job and how it was his attitude that got him through everything--remembering that God is mindful of us. Even in the hard times, He's still there, we're never alone. I'm grateful for that knowledge.

This year will hopefully be filled with great events, but as the year ends I will need to remember to smile because a few weeks after the end of the year I will turn 60--not sure that is anything to smile about.

But speaking of things to smile about, I received a fabulous Christmas gift from Neal and Macy. Back in October, Macy did a photoshoot of the three kids and for Christmas she and Neal gave us a book filled with photos. I went ahead and scanned the ones Heidi ordered and here is a sampling: (By the way, she has some great temple pictures on her blog that you might enjoy)









This one is probably my favorite:

I know that when there is a day I don't feel like smiling--like today when I'm really missing these kids--I just need to pull out that book and it will remind me that I have lots to smile about.

Hope you are smiling.





22 comments:

Macy said...

Hooray! And that's what I hoped the book would do. Thanks for your sweet compliments. I'm really glad you liked it.

I need to post those pictures on my blog! I've been so busy keeping it a secret, I keep forgetting!

Heffalump said...

I need to learn to look at the bright side of things too.
Pictures of the ones we love are sure treasures!

Lt. Col. Samantha Carter said...

I love the One Word idea...I've been doing it a couple years now, and I find it really helps me to focus on all my goals with a singular purpose. My word this year is "JOY." I'm already finding myself smiling more because of it!

linda said...

I like your word for the year!

I wrote something along the same lines yesterday about attitude. We have the power to be happy or not and how we talk to ourselves determines that happiness. I'm making a sincere effort to feed myself positive thoughts, even when I don't feel like doing it. I'm going to push myself even harder this year...and smile while I'm doing it!

Beautiful pictures!

Natalie said...

The pictures are just beautiful. What a beautiful family you have.

I love your word for the year.
"SMILE" What a great word and it definitely helps one to have a good attitude.

Boy oh boy how I can relate to you about it being so quiet. But, I am smiling too.

Alice Wills Gold said...

One of the songs that I have been listening to a lot lately is...

Smile though your heart is aching.
Smile even though it's breaking.

When there are clouds in the sky,
you'll get by.

Smile and maybe tomorrow,
you'll see the sun come shining through.
for you.

Light up your face with gladness.
Hide every trace of sadness.

...

you'll find that life is still worth while,
if you just smile.


LOVE the message and I love this song...it always makes me smile.

Cherie said...

I love your word of the year. Smiling sure makes you happy and it's contagious :D

The pictures are SO GREAT!! She did a wonderful job!!

I wanted to wish you a Happy New Year Yvonne as I join the blogging world again!!

Tonya said...

I agree completely that attitude is at least half the battle if not all of it. I don't always win the battle but I'm hoping to win the war.

Great pictures!!!

Connie said...

Beautiful photos of your kids! I like the SMILE resolution.

The Garden of Egan said...

Those are some beautiful kids!
Love it.
I love your goal. I too, want to smile more.

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, I love those pictures! Heidi looks GORGEOUS. Brent is a cutie and I love Kyle's outfit! Great great pictures!

Small House said...

OKAY...that book is something worth smiling about!!!

60...it's the new 45!! Alls well.
Sandra

ShEiLa said...

What an amazing gift. I gave my Dad a book of photos of our family all from this last year.

I got a call the day after Christmas... HE loved it and I was so happy I made a good choice.

YOU certainly don't look 60... so smile about that!!!

ToOdLeS.

Klin said...

Miss Heidi gets her beauty from her momma. She is really beautiful.

What a great gift.

Valerie said...

Macy is an AMAZING photographer! Her photos are beautiful!

SMILE: I think that's a resolution I can stick to... Thanks for the idea!

aubrey said...

what awesome pictures! definitely something to smile about! and i have been trying to come up with my word for 2010 and am coming up blank. smile is such a good one, i love it!

Heidi said...

I like that mom!!! You have LOTS to smile about:) I sure love ya TONS AND TONS AND TONS and miss you too, but love to call you or read cards you have written me to remember that you love me:) THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!!! I guess my one word resolution this year would be WEDDING;p hee hee

Jess said...

Love it. You are such a great inspiration to me. I am going to be watching you for that gorgeous smile!!!

Amber said...

"I know that when there is a day I don't feel like smiling--like today when I'm really missing these kids--I just need to pull out that book and it will remind me that I have lots to smile about."

I would put that final picture somewhere to constantly remind you of just how surrounded by love you are!

Corrine said...

i love the idea of just one word...and love the pictures of your kids, great looking bunch!

aurora said...

Those are gorgeous pictures! I am sure that they will make you smile on the darkest day! (not that I can imagine you NOT smiling--in my imagination that is all that you do) xo

mindyluwho said...

I love your word. There are a couple of ladies that my kids notice all the time because they always have a smiling countenance. People tend to gravitate toward them because they always seem so happy. I've been working on that myself, it definitely makes a difference in how you feel just by the simple act of putting on a smile.

Beautiful pictures!