Anyway, as I said in my last post, I did learn a whole lot. I want to share a couple of things with you.
First, let me explain why I'm so into organizing right now. A couple of post ago I told you I was participating in a challenge. In some respects, the challenge has been a great thing for me. (I have to admit I only know one of the people participating, and so it is somewhat uncomfortable for me. I do fine just reporting but writing is another story. It's one of those situations where I feel like I'm back in High School, and I have my lunch tray and I'm trying to sit at a table with people I don't know.) On the flip side, it has been great checking things off as I accomplish them--it just makes me feel good.
So what does any of this have to do with being organized, as I felt my day was getting organized, I wanted to get my home organized as well. So when I had this class to do, I started doing all sorts of research and then put it to action. It has been wonderful. So far I have organized the shoes in my closet--they were a mess; my drawers and cupboards in my bathroom; my pants and sweaters in my closet; and part of my office. I have a long way to go, but it is such a good feeling. It's all baby steps, but that's okay.
So besides my tip mentioned on the last post about purging, I think it's important to start slow. Remember the "how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time" thing, well, if it's too overwhelming it's too easy to give up. One of my friends says it's hard for her to start something if she can't finish, but I think it may be best to start small by setting a time. Spend one half hour purging or organizing or whatever. Set the timer and then when it beeps you can pat yourself on the back and say, "I DID IT."
So how about this week, go through and get rid of:
- Clothes that don't fit. (Now for me I've kept some that are too small, in hopes that they'll fit in the next few months. When I hit my goal weight, I will get rid of the clothes that are too big in hopes that I'll never need them again. ) Also, clothes that are so out of style that you know you're never going to wear them again.
- Unnecessary duplicates. Now, I have two crockpots because occasionally I do use them. I don't keep them both in my kitchen, but I will not get rid of the second one.
- Things you don't like or will never use--the hard part: even if they were gifts. (I had a pair of slippers that my husband gave me about 15 years ago. I've worn them once. So I decided to get rid of them. Somehow I don't think Allan will ever notice ; )
- Newspapers/magazines/coupons that are outdated. (What good is that McDonald's gift certificate going to do you that expired 3 months ago???)
- Broken things that are not worth fixing--that old VCR, printer, etc.
SIDENOTE #1: Yesterday was the perfect day to stay in--THE WEATHER WAS HORRIBLE. I think all of the schools were closed and they were recommending to STAY OFF THE ROADS. Believe me, you don't have to tell me twice. Allan bought me a Wii for my birthday so I bowled, boxed, played baseball and tennis and did a little exercise. SO FUN.
SIDENOTE #2: I was so happy when I got on the scale this morning and saw I lost 5 pounds. (Gee and I only used my Wii one day ; )