Friday, January 29, 2010

To Be vs. To Do

As I was going through my office throwing stuff away, I found this quote regarding "to do" lists: "...No matter how many things you check off the list, some of the most important things--being kinder, being braver, being more creative--can be overlooked. Notice that word: being. Maybe what you need is a list to help you be what you want to be, both for yourself and others." I love it. It reminds me of something I read in a Brad Wilcox book that we are not human doings we are human beings.

I have a to do list and because of my resolution, at the top it says SMILE, so if I'm going to change it from a "to do" to a "to be"--I don't want to write: "Be Smiley", so I guess I should write: "Be Happy". And keeping with my not taking too much on at once, let me add to my list for today:
  • Be more Thoughtful
  • Be more Forgiving
  • Be more Understanding
One of the tough things about "to be" as oppose to "to do" is gauging. When I make lists, I love to check things off, but how do you check off being more thoughtful--well I think that's where the "to do" comes in--you have to ask yourself, what can i do to be more thoughtful. Perhaps write a thank you note? It all probably involves more pondering. What do you think?

Also, on my "to be" list--be more healthy. I have been working on that using my Wii. I didn't get the "Wii fit" but i got the Active Sports. I am so sore because of the squats and lunges--but I WON'T GIVE UP. The temperatures have made it impossible to go outside and run so I'm doing all I can inside.

Sidenote #1: The other day I went to the garage and as I looked around I saw one of my bins of Legos--As I talked about organizing and getting rid of things, let me just say I refuse to get rid of Legos. I have to have something for my little grandsons to play with when they come ; ) Anyway, I couldn't help but think of this

I get very excited when I realize Kyle will be home near the end of April ; ) He is having a great time at BYU, and that makes me a very happy mama.

Sidenote #2: Only 2 weeks until the opening ceremonies of the Olympics--CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Sidenote #3: Organizing Tip for today: I'm just going to copy sweetpea's comment from my last post. Heck, she had GREAT ADVICE. She is a young mom with 5 kids (2 sets of twins). I really don't know how she does all that she does:

"I am passionate about being organized, and my favorite quote is "A place for everything, and everything in its place".

Some things that work for me:

1. Family Organization Binder:
I have sections for each member of the family, the ward list, other phone numbers, medical info, school stuff, etc. It's easily accessible, and keeps everything together where you can find it.

2. Go through your mail everyday. Throw away/shred junk mail, and file away other mail. I have a "to be filed", "to be paid" folders, and a coupon bin so it can all be taken care of right away.

3. Go through your magazines every month. Throw away the ones you aren't going to keep. Get the magazine holders for those you want to keep-but only a select few. For decorating/other ideas, tear pages out of the magazine, and place in a binder just for that purpose."






24 comments:

txmommy said...

good thoughts, being is much harder than doing.

Can't wait for the olympics either!

ShEiLa said...

I really like your 'being' idea. 'Being' does require action. Lovely way to think about things Yvonne.

ToOdLeS.

Carrot Jello said...

Do be do be dooo
Sorry, I had to sing that.

JustRandi said...

I love the thought of being vs doing. In fact, our bishop talked about something similar at ward conference.
I should probably do something about that, considering this is the second time I've been prompted. Right?

Klin said...

We are after all, human beings; not human doings.

I am trying to get organized. I have so much help in the chaos dept. I need to get them all on board.

Melissa said...

What a great thought... human beings. Hmm... I am going to have to ponder this some more!

I too have been using the Wii Active Sport... had to stop doing some of the lunges because my knees felt like they were going to explode. Fun fun fun :P

The Garden of Egan said...

You are pretty amazing.
Love your quote about human beings.

Tori said...

Great thought Yvonne! Thanks!!

I am a lame organizer. I mean, I'm organized in my own way, but no one else can see it. haha I love the family binder idea.

Tonya said...

I can't imagine that you need to work on being more of anything. You are one of the sweetest people 8
I know.

I love legos to. One of the best toys ever made.

Connie said...

Great thoughts. It is good to check things off a list and figuring out what things you have to "do" to "be"
I'm proud of you for exercising even though it's too cold to get out!
Take care.

Amber said...

Being. So important.

Organization? Not going to happen right now.

I mean, I have things organized. Unfortunately, someone in my house likes to go through and take things out of drawers and off of bookshelves and out of cupboards.

Arrgh.

At least that someone is cute.

red said...

Hi,

I love reading your post.

Sheri said...

Great post!! I love all of the ideas!

Heffalump said...

I think that being takes more commitment than doing. Doing is sometimes just going through the motions, but being requires more.

Connie said...

Yvonne,
You are the winner of the Grill It cook book! Let me know where to send it!
Congratulations!

Cherie said...

Good post and it made me think...which is always a good thing (wink). I never thought about being as opposed to doing but there is a huge difference. You can do something a hundred times but that does not mean you incorporated it and "be"come that thing. You have to use your mind and really make a change. I love it!

Cherie said...

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience".

by Teilhard de Chardin

Your quote reminded me of this quote which I also love!

Have a Happy Sunday!!

Suzanne said...

Great post, Yvonne! I love the idea of being vs. doing!

It sounds like you're keeping busy, even though you may be cooped up inside with the bad weather.

Kyle will be home in a few months! Yay! I'm sure you're excited. :)

Small House said...

That Brad Wilcox is WONDERFUL! He's got such a great way of looking at life.

I've got to join you with the get organized kick!!! Life could go so much smoother if I worked a little harder at this. GOOD FOR YOU!!

KEEP SMILING!

Jess said...

Great ideas Yvonne. I love organizing things.
The being idea is really cool and I am sure you can find ways to check it off your "list"

Natalie said...

Love your post, as usual. Being really is harder than just doing. However, we can begin by doing and progress to being.

Congrats on being the winner of the giveaway.

Hugs.

Heidi said...

You always have great thoughts and great things you are working on because you ARE GREAT!!! I love you!!!

chellie said...

huh?

just kidding. :)

LEGOS are awesome. My parents refuse to get rid of their whole suitcase full - and it's the one thing my kids look forward to when we are there! love it!

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

Reminds me of Elder Oaks talks about BECOMING rather than knowing or just doing.

I love the Olympic, too.