Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Life Is Different

The weather has been cold, not too bad though, the snow just seems to keep piling up. The house is quiet and I'm realizing there are many things I'm missing right now. Things are very different, and I continue to try to adjust. But right now, I'm missing:

  • Being at school: As I drove past the high school the other day, I realized how much I am missing basketball and volleyball games, band concerts, parent-teacher conferences, newsletters from the school, etc.
  • No late nights: Allan and I go to bed fairly early and I think I'm still trying to adjust because it seems like I'm always waking up around midnight--the time Kyle used to come home. It seems weird not waiting up at night for kids to get home.
  • Nicer weather: I love being able to run outside and I am so sad that I have been kind of cooped up.
  • Call me crazy: but I'm missing laundry and dishes. It just seems so weird to only wash two plates and two glasses. And then laundry gets done in just a few minutes. But, speaking of dishes, we're having the missionaries over for dinner tonight and I'm using my red plates--I love them.
  • Seminary--yes, I'm missing getting up early every morning, spending time with the youth, and even preparing lessons.
  • Taking pictures--Since the kids left 2 months ago, I have taken pictures on only two different occasions--the day the torch was here and the day we had the beautiful hoar frost. Tonight Allan will be setting apart a missionary so I'll be taking a few pictures, but I rarely post those.
  • More to blog about--it's boring when it's just Allan and me to write about ; ) Believe me, we live SUCH AN EXCITING LIFE. So, please keep posting--I may not have much going on, but I know all of you do. I love reading your ideas, your adventures, and seeing what's going on in your lives.
Now I may not be taking pictures, however, let me posts, a couple of cute pictures of my cute kids and grandkids.
I saw this one on my beautiful granddaughter, Kiah's fb page. It is her and her folks and 3 of her siblings.




Kiah and Hannah with the trophy from their recent cheerleading competition.




Stephen and Daphne's children--love the sweatshirts. What are they going to spell when #6 joins the family in July ; )


My little Garrett enjoying riding with his dad. He is such a cutie--his mom takes the cutest pictures of him. I hope you have had the chance to see some of her great pictures on her photography blog.

Sidenote #1: Just a couple of more days until the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. Kyle is very excited about watching the Olympics, and he wanted to have some Canadian gear so he could try to show his support of his country. I can't wait to see the picture of all of them wearing their gear and when they send the picture or pictures to me--I'll have something to blog about.

Sidenote #2: I successfully made my first batch of sugar cookies--I can make drop cookies, but I've never been able to cut a cookie right. I saw a recipe on Connie's blog, but I didn't have enough sour cream so decided to try the recipe Macy had used when I was visiting a few years ago. IT WORKED. Wish the kids were here to eat them.



21 comments:

Cherie said...

Ha Ha It's funny. I think when we are young and have lots of kids running around our legs and a house that never seems to get clean much less stay clean that we kind of look forward to the day of not much laundry and a couple of dishes. I guess the grass is always greener!

The pics are so cute - You have such a beautiful family!!

I'm excited for the Olympics!!!

P.S. I covet your red plates!! LOVE THEM :D

txmommy said...

the cookieslook delish!

Connie said...

It's good that you get to have the missionaries over. So is your husband the stake president to set apart a missionary?
This is the first year I have not had a child in school. It's weird and nice at the same time.
You have such a cute family. Love those pictures of the grandkids and it will be fun to see what can be spelled with the 6th member of the family. Maybe the baby could be an explanation point!
Your cookies look so good!
Have a good day!

brown paper packages said...

I'm still thinking about those cookies...my favorite!!

I already think about the days when my kids will be gone...and I'm really trying to appreciate every moment, good or bad. You have so many wonderful memories--I love hearing about them!

Tonya said...

I would be willing to bet that they miss you too. I love love love the red plates and the cookies look delicious.

I can't wait to hear more about your Olympic adventures.

Macy said...

Those cookies look great! We still have to frost ours.

Klin said...

Fortunately for me, my Sassy girl is in making sugar cookies, cause yours are making me hungry.

Your red plates are so cool. I want some, but I'm waiting until I have fewer matching ones before making that purchase ;)

I'm not sure how I will handle an empty nest. Knowing me I'll get some more foster kids. I love having kids around my house.

Heffalump said...

I always think how nice it will be to have some peace and quiet, but I know that after a day or so of that, I will be missing my kids when they go. So for now I try to enjoy the noise!

Neal said...

OK - first, I'm going to formally call you "crazy" with the whole dishes/laundry thing. You can ALWAYS come here, if you need some of that.

Second - those cookies look awesome. I'm now drooling on my keyboard...thanks.

Now that you're so bored, you should travel. Especially to Boston ; )

The Garden of Egan said...

Wow, I think I'm feeling your same things. Our family changed fast this year and I'm wandering around this house wondering where all the noise and dirt went.
I'm not sure I like it.

ShEiLa said...

Those cookies look so delicious!

I know what you mean about needing someone to photograph. I went out with the camera following Tony as he set up the 'sub-pump' to make our road a road again instead of a river... and he said. NO way! This is NOT for you to BLOG. Nobody needs a photo journal of this.

I also got the evil eye from my daughters nephew that is living with them... I don't thinks he likes me photographing him either... so I won't. Some people are so cranky and not blog friendly at all. ;)

Hugs to you during this transition to no trips to the school, going to bed early, volunteering to do all your neighbors dishes (ok that one might be a little over the edge)and taking up nature/abstract photography instead of people.

I have found even every day mundane things can be interesting. I bet your life is more exciting than you think.

ToOdLeS.

Natalie said...

Well, I can sure relate. It is sooooo quiet with everyone gone. We are very busy, but I still have those moments. You will do great though. Just keep on doing and serving and you will be just fine.
I love reading everything you write, so don't stop blogging. You have plenty to say and we all want to hear it.
I love the Olympics. I will just have to wait until next time to enjoy them. Will you be going to any events?
Lucky missionaries to be going to your house for dinner. I always loved having the missionaries come to my house too. They are lots of fun.
Love you.

Melissa said...

Missing laundry and dishes... hm. This is something I will have to ponder. It seems wrong somehow :)
Love your red plates! I was just thinking that they would work for almost lots of different holiday meals... very fun!!
Oh, and I'll be there in a few minutes... or um... days to eat all of your sugar cookies! They look fabulous!

aurora said...

Yummy cookies!

I am on the other end--so much going on and not a moment to savor and blog about it... I will slow down though, and do so. I know that I will miss it all (even the laundry?? gasp!)

Jess said...

Love your red plates and I love your perspective. It's always those hard days of toddlers when I think someday I will miss this. Find joy in the journey because soon it will change.
I can't wait for the Olympics so much fun!!!

Corrine said...

love the red dishes!

Hugs for the adjustments!

and you can send me some of those cookies, I need about five dozen for friday :)

Gina said...

I wish I were there to eat them! YUM!

Lei said...

Huh, so I AM going to miss all this? I had a hunch. ;)

chellie said...

Awe... life should just be beginning for you and Allan. :) I'm sure that is such an adjustment for you both - empty nesters!

My parents are experiencing right now too. Although my brother was gone for 2 years, came home and married in 4 months... so I guess maybe it really started 2 years ago although they didn't realize it at the time.

LOVE your red plates! Adorable!

Well... you could always move to Utah to be closer to your kids (and me, lol)

Great looking cookies! yum!

Tori said...

It's always funny to see which things you miss when things change. Every summer when my older kids are gone to the exes I miss the noise and laundry. Go figure!!
xoxo

Small House said...

OKAY...1, I love sugar cookies. And 2, I'm getting worried that I'm almost done with basketball and 6 games a week. This is my daughters senior year, and then only 2 games a week next year. I worry that I'm going to bore my husband to death!

I do look forward to a clean house though, and less laundry. So I had to smile when you said you missed it. Oh the things we take for granted. Maybe I should enjoy the 17 loads of laundry I'll be working on this weekend.
Have a great day.
Sandra