Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Love Is In the Air


February is a month that holds a special place in my heart. I've written many times about the loss of my parents and the good fortune my sisters and I had to be taken into the home of two very special people. If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know the story. If you don't know the story, and you are interested, you can read it here.

I also love February because it is a month where we celebrate love. Last February I did a post every day focusing on things I love. This year I'm trying to spend less time on the computer.

So in celebration of this month of love, I'd like to do a post on my ten most romantic movies. Now, keep in mind--these are mine--so they may not be yours. You may not even like mine--that's okay. THEY'RE MINE.
  1. An Affair to Remember--I have to admit, I love in Sleepless in Seattle when Rita Wilson describes when Cary Grant realizes why Deborah Kerr did not get off the couch.
  2. Ghost--I love it. It is the love we take with us.
  3. Pretty Woman--I am touched every time Julia Roberts talks about how much easier it is to believe the bad stuff people say about you.
  4. The Princess Bride--That is a movie about "true love"
  5. Sleepless in Seattle
  6. You've Got Mail
  7. Splendor in the Grass--I haven't seen it for years but it was tragic
  8. The Way We Were--Thank goodness it is "the laughter we will remember"
  9. The Magic of Ordinary Days
  10. Dirty Dancing
Now I could add "The Last of the Mohicans", but I think too many would argue it's not exactly a romantic movie. But I love the romance between Daniel Day Lewis and Madeline Stowe.

And I could add many Disney movies--Beauty and The Beast being one of my favorites.

How about you, do you have a favorite romantic movie?

Sidenote: If you watched Lost last night, what did you think?





21 comments:

Heffalump said...

You've Got Mail is also a favorite of mine. I really like Ever After as well.

carolyne b said...

Dirty Dancing was one of my favorites. My husband and I had just gotten married and were living in Germany.... it brings back memories of that time so long, long ago...

ShEiLa said...

Most of the ones you already listed... but here are a few of mine you didn't list.

Griffin & Phoenix
Anne of Green Gables
Somewhere in Time
An Officer and a Gentleman

I don't know if you saw UP... and it is an animation. But I love the little old man Carl and there is nothing more romantic than his love for his Ellie. I can see their handprints on the mailbox... so cute!

ToOdLeS.

Yvonne said...

Heffalump: I like Ever After, too. Good one.

Carolynne: I didn't know you were married in Germany.

Sheila: I loved Somewhere in Time--the theme song is so beautiful. Now, regarding Up--I'm with you 100%.

Amber said...

I totally agree with your list! My favorites: You've Got Mail, The Waitress, Legally Blond (bad, I know :-) and Ever After. I have watched them over and over again!

Jess said...

Man you gave me some good movies to check out. I haven't seen quite a few of those!

Sheri said...

First of all... I am LOST!! I love most of those movies.. haven't seen a couple and would definately add The Notebook to that list! Ever After is another favorite!! Great post... has me thinking....

chellie said...

I love the month of LOVE as well... one of my favorite. :)

Cherie said...

I love those movies. I am a romantic movie lover!!

I would also add:

The Notebook - Uber romantic!
A Walk to Remember
Gone With The Wind

and someone already said it but "Somewhere in Time".

Klin said...

That's a good list. I am one who loves Pretty Woman. I love that she rises about her situation and that he reaches out to her. Ghost is another favorite.

Happy Love month to you. I love that we have met and that you are an example to me.

Amber said...

Don't tell anyone, but I don't really like chick flicks. I do, however, have a few movies that I will watch time and time again: Ever After, Mirror Has Two Faces, and the original Yours, Mine, and Ours.

Tonya said...

Your list is very similar to what I would choose. Dirty Dancing is my favorite if I had to pick. I am moved every time Patrick Swayze says " Nobody puts baby in a corner"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa said...

I really like Pride and Prejudice (the new one), While You Were Sleeping, and the Princess Bride. I also like Penelope and I think someone said Anne of Green Gables... that's a good choice too. I'll quit there even though I could keep going :)

Tori said...

Ooh... Slendor in the Grass! So good!!

I love Cinderella!

Connie said...

I like "Heart and Soul" and "Return to Me" Wait, is Heart and Soul a romantic movie? Let's say it is because I do like it!
I also like "Somewhere in Time"
I didn't watch Lost so I'm no help.

utmommy said...

Some very good choices!!

JustRandi said...

Great choices!
I've recently added UP to my list of romantic movies.
The Notebook
Sabrina (the remake is better than the original)
Phantom of the Opera

I've never seen The Magic of Ordinary Days.... but I love the title.

aurora said...

An Affair to Remember. Definitely top of my last--ever since I was 16 years old. My Cary Grant fixation began with that movie. (but I could quit anytime ;-) )

aurora said...

oops! "... top of my LIST"

Tori :) said...

Did I seriously write "Slendor" in the grass?? lol It's a weightloss movie.