Monday, February 22, 2010

My Recent Challenge

No, not that kind of challenge. I mentioned in my last post that I have been participating in a challenge that began on January 11th and goes through April 4th. There are about 45 women participating in the challenge. It has been hard work, but I have learned a lot, especially about myself, and I love it. The best thing I have learned so far: I can do things I didn't think I could.

Some of the "challenges" have been difficult for me--some have been great learning experiences. There have been ten challenges with a possibility of earning ten points each day. The tough ones:
  • Having only one treat per day;
  • eating two servings of fruit and three of vegetables every day;
  • having the dishes done before I go to bed (which means put everything away and make sure the kitchen is clean). I love that one--it is so nice to wake up in the morning and have the kitchen sparkly ; )
One of the things I have learned: I'm a grazer--I eat all day long. This past week I have been trying really hard to just have 3 meals a day and my treat. I have especially loved the "atta girl" challenge. The original goal read "Because the good I do is often intangible and hard to recognize, I am going to journal each day the way in which I have made a difference today." Some weeks you were to try and accomplish something and when you complete it you say to yourself "atta girl"--that has been a lot of fun and I have accomplished some great things. Right now the goal read: "Contribute in some way each day to change the world. If you would like, journal each day about that contribution - or your hope of a contribution you can/will make to change the world."


Last week because of the Olympics the organizer put us in teams and each team chose some goals. We had the option to use the old "challenges" or pick from the challenges each team issued. I decided I wanted to take it up a notch and I kept some of the ones that were tough for me from the old ones and picked some of the new ones I thought would really be a challenge. The tough ones this week:
  • I kept the same one treat per day because I found when I didn't have a limit, I was going CRAZY;
  • make dessert for someone each day without eating one bite of it;
  • eat a healthy breakfast each day--I'm not always good at that;
  • exercise for 60 minutes a day--that's not too hard for me, but it has been a bit of a challenge. I do my Wii (and if it doesn't last 30 minutes, I go on as a guest and do whatever I need to so that it equals 30 minutes, and then join "Bob" in the Biggest Loser 30 minute Cardio Max. One day when my knee was bugging me, I decided to go out for a nice hour long walk;
  • I have enjoyed our team's "find and document the gold in every day." The point would be earned for finding something "gold in every day--whether it be a kid's funny comment, a nice gesture...something that made you laugh and journal about it." It has really caused me to be aware of everything throughout the day.
I have enjoyed the challenge so much. The bonus to the whole thing: the one treat and the exercising every day have allowed me to lose 9 pounds so far. Sure hoping I can lose another 13 by June.

It has been a great journey where I have learned a great deal about myself. One of the funny things is I have realized I am definitely a team player--Last week because I have been on a "team" and I really haven't wanted to let my team down, I earned all the points each day. As much as I've wanted to lick the beaters and snatch a nice warm chocolate chip cookie or have a second treat, I knew I needed to earn those 10 points. It was the first week I earned my ten points each day.

I am working on becoming more confident and stronger physically. As well, I have been working on some spiritual goals of my own. Let's hope I can keep it up until April and that I develop some great habits that I will keep up long after the challenge is over.

Sidenote #1: Neal was in the Bay Area for the last couple of days and hooked up with Stephen and Daphne and their family for dinner. I always love when the kids get together. Thanks, Neal for posting the picture.

Sidenote #2: I don't always clean out my aol inbox and it reached 1000 this weekend. I didn't know but it wouldn't go above 1000. So I'm off to clean out my inbox.




18 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

You are AWESOME!!!
I wish I would get in a "Challenge Group".
I just got on a web page that talks about a 10K we did last year 600 miles from our home. It was a really nice one. Really hard at first but rewarding at the end.
IF we were able to pull off the trip again, we would like to go do this the first weekend in June.
How do I get OFF my couch and start training. Hmmm...maybe I can pay Jen to train me.

The Garden of Egan said...

Good for you for doing the challenge!
My oldest and I think we are going to do a 10K........I'd better get busy.
Love the pix of your family!

Klin said...

Those are some awesome challenges. You amaze me. I need to do some of those

Heffalump said...

I don't think I could make a treat for someone without some sampling on my part...you are SUPERHUMAN!

Connie said...

It's amazing how losing weight empowers you! You're a great example to all of us! Good for you and good luck!

ShEiLa said...

Your challenge does sound like fun. Plus it is a bonus having other people doing the exact same challenge.

Kudos to YOU... 9 pounds? I am so jealous. I go days without treats.

Keep up the fantastic work Yvonne.

ToOdLeS.

PJ said...

I love, love this challenge group of yours. I doesn't sound like your ordinary challenges!

JustRandi said...

I LOVE THIS!!
would you ever consider organizing a challenge group for your imaginary friends???

Valerie said...

You are so good at always working to better yourself. You are a great example of goal setting and working toward those goals.

Good job on losing the 9 pounds! I found them! *heavy sigh*

Natalie said...

You are just awesome. What a fun and great idea to be in a challenge group. Some of those challenges are really hard. Hurray for you for doing it and actually "stickin to it". Congrats on the weight loss. Like I said, you are awesome.

brown paper packages said...

Those are AWESOME challenges! Way to go--9 pounds is amazing!!!

Jess said...

that sounds like so much fun and effective. I can't wait to hear about all of your sucesses.

Macy said...

Good for you!

utmommy said...

Wow! Good for you! I need to do a challenge like that. Sounds like it's a great thing. I look forward to reading more about it. Good for you!

Small House said...

WOW...SERIOUSLY...WOW! You're awesome! OKAY....making a dessert for someone and not eating one bite??? I'm not sure I could do this. I lack WILL POWER!

Keep up the good work. I should really join you on this one. ANd follow your example.

Have a great day.
Sandra

Lei said...

Good for you, sounds like a great motivator! I have been rtrrying to find some rules I can live with without feeling too deprived, the holidays packed a few lbs. on me and I want them gone. :)

mindyluwho said...

I have an immense sweet tooth. In the past I tried not eating sugar for extended periods of time only to find that I would binge when I fell off the wagon (which was often)! I do the 'one treat per day' also and it is very successful for me.

I also LOVE your challenge. I would like to know more about it. I especially love the teamwork part of it. Would you mind emailing the details? I've been trying to put together something along those lines and would love to know more.

chellie said...

Sounds like a wonderful challenge! I need to do more things like that!