Monday, March 8, 2010

A Beautiful Sunday

While I was getting ready for Church on Sunday, Allan called and told me when I headed for Church to take my camera. He said, "The hoar frost is BEAUTIFUL." So, I grabbed my camera and here are some of the pictures I captured.

Not too far from our house I saw this


















I decided I wanted to try and capture a close-up.
















I wish the sun had been shining on this so it would have been brighter. This is the River (notice the snowmobile tracks) and the trees were so beautiful.



















You would think this is snow, but it's just frost. Reminds me of flocked Christmas trees--one of my sisters always had a flocked tree and I immediately thought of her.






















One last shot that I loved.





















I was so glad I took the pictures before Church because by the time I came home THE FROST WAS ALL GONE.

I love the lessons I learn when I attend Church. In Relief Society yesterday, we had a lesson on burdens and our teacher used a great "object" lesson that I'd like to share. She had us look around the room and find everything brown. I think she gave us about 20 - 30 seconds. She then had us close our eyes and share everything we had seen that was red. I couldn't think of a thing. People named a few things. When she had us open our eyes I was amazed to see there was a sister sitting right in front of me with a red top.

Our teacher then told us that when we focus on just one thing, i.e., our burdens, that is all we see. There could be many great, beautiful things that would pass us by but we would be so focused on our burdens that we couldn't' see them.

It was a great lesson for me.





20 comments:

Neal said...

Gorgeous pics!

Cherie said...

Wow! That frost is do thick - I don't think I have seen frost that thick on trees in person. Amazing! God gives us such beauty in this world!

I love the lesson on burdens - that is truly something to think about. But it is true sometimes we get so focused on one thing we forget all the wonderful things around us too.

ShEiLa said...

I love your photos. I am so glad that Allan called and said... take the camera. I miss seeing those things here in Nevada. The frost and huge icicles hanging from the eaves.

The lesson you learned is so true. If I am around someone who is negative on a daily basis... pretty soon I feel more negative than positive. Also I think that is why gratitude journals work so well... all your attention is focused on being grateful... not on your hardships.

ToOdLeS.

ps.thanks for the reminder.

Janice said...

beautiful pictures. I love what ol' jack frost can do!

Nancy Face said...

Gorgeous pictures! I've never seen anything like that! :)

Natalie said...

Those pictures are just beautiful. I've never seen Hoar Frost. Now that's one more thing on my bucket list. :)
I loved the object lesson. I'm going to use it with my young adults.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Hugs

txmommy said...

wow, you did an awesome job on those pictures! they are beautiful!

aurora said...

Those are beautiful pictures! And I LOVED the object lesson. So true...

Theresa said...

Awesomeness! I got some pictures too, it was very beautiful. Also, THANK you for sharing that lesson! That's a great idea!!! I'm going to save it for future use.

Lt. Col. Samantha Carter said...

THose pictures are gorgeous, and awe inspiring, but what took my breath away was the Brown/Red lesson. It's exactly what I needed to hear today. You're amazing, Yvonne. THanks for sharing all your gifts!

Heffalump said...

Lovely, but I am sure glad that we don't get frost like that here! Brrrrr!

Doran & Jody said...

NICE!!! The pictures AND the lesson!

Sheri said...

love the pictures (we have a lot of that by us too - jsut never a camera!)and the lesson!!

Small House said...

I have to say that as tired as I am of winter, it's nice to be able to find the beauty in it. The pictures are beautiful!

What a great Relief Society sister. And how true it is....
Sandra

Valerie said...

GORGEOUS!!! Wow!! You got some great shots!

That is an amazing lesson. You always leave me with a lot to think about!

mindyluwho said...

Those are beautiful! When I lived in the Midwest I loved the ice storms, even though they were dangerous, they were gorgeous to behold.

That is a great lesson, I'm going to use that in FHE. Very insightful.

Amber said...

I've had a great time getting caught up on all your posts. The object lesson, though? A fantastic lesson for us all. No more brown tunnel vision for me!

JustRandi said...

What amazing pictures! We get frost on the trees occasionally, but never that thick!

Tonya said...

That is a awesome object lesson. I love being in primary but I do miss the lessons in relief society.

chellie said...

beautiful indeed... but I will keep with just looking at pictures! :)