Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Motherhood

Before I start the "motherhood" part of this, let me share my day yesterday:

Yesterday was not a fun day. Sunday night shortly after I got into bed the pain started. And the pain didn't stop all night and finally at 4:00 am, I told Allan I was going to the Emergency room. After 15 hours, an EKG, x-rays, morphine, and a CT scan, they couldn't tell me why I was in pain. So here I sit, hoping it doesn't happen again.

But on to better things: First, let me say how excited Kyle was when Canada won the hockey game. His FB status: "Feeling extra patriotic today". I didn't watch the game, but when Heidi called to say that the U.S. had scored and the game was going into overtime, I texted Kyle a few minutes later and said, "Sorry". After Canada won, he called me and said my text made him panic. He thought he was watching a delayed feed and that I had seen Canada lose the game--silly boy ; )

Kyle and his dad were on the phone for quite awhile this weekend. Kyle is working on getting his papers in for his mission. For whatever reason this has made me a little nostalgic. Perhaps it's because this is our youngest. I am reminded of the Robert Munsch book, "Love You Forever". (I am not trying to infringe on any copyright laws, if you haven't read the book, get a hold of it--it is so sweet)

It's the story of a young mom who while holding her newborn son rocks him and sings,

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be."

And then it goes through all the stages of this boys childhood. Through each she picks him up and holds him and sings those words. In the end, when she is old and dying, he picks her up and rocks her and sings,

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my mommy you'll be."

Then he goes home and goes into his little girl's room and picks her up and sings to her as his mom did.

No matter how old my children are, they are still my babies and I'm still their mommy. I have watched them each grow into such wonderful people. It has been such a privilege to be on this journey with them. Each of them child or stephchild has taught me so much about motherhood. If I was feeling better, I'd write about the things they've taught me--maybe another time.



18 comments:

carolyne b said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. I too loved this book, a little creepy though when he climbs through his mothers window to hug and sing to her. But the premise is great...

glittersmama said...

Boo for belly pain. I hope it was just a freak thing and doesn't come back.

I cannot read that book without crying.

Cherie said...

That is so weird and unsettling when you have pain like that with no reason why?
I hope it was just a one time thing and that you are feeling better today.

The book is one of my favorites. I am with you on feeling the nostalgia of our children. OH my your youngest ready to go on a mission! Wonderful and tearful all at the same time :D

JustRandi said...

So sweet.

And what the heck with that pain? My theory is that it was your conflicted feelings over the hockey game.

I still love you, though!
Go Canada!

txmommy said...

Oh, I am sorry you were sick. I hope you feel great soon.

I love that book. I can't imagine when all my kids are grown.

how exciting that he's getting ready for his mission!!

Garden of Egan said...

That is so sweet! I need to find that book and give it to each of my children with children.

Sorry you weren't feeling well. Hopefully it won't come back!

Thanks for the post today. I loved it.

Macy said...

Sorry about the hospital trip! I hope you feel better!

Sheri said...

I sure hope you are feeling better soon. When that happened to me it was a kidney stone! Yuck! Hugs to you and prayers for a speedy recovery!
I love that book and your kids sure are lucky to have had you as their mom!!

Lt. Col. Samantha Carter said...

So sorry about your unexplained pain! Praying for you!

Heffalump said...

Pain is no fun...I hope it was only a one time thing!

That book makes me cry.

Natalie said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you were so sick. I hope you will be fully recovered soon.
I love that book. One of my sons gave it to me for a gift one year. I can't read it without crying.
Can't believe your youngest is getting ready for a mission. It will be awesome.

Heidi said...

That's right mom!!! You will ALWAYS be my mommy;) I sure love you always and forever!!!

ShEiLa said...

Yvonne,

I love that book too! I read it to Madison the other night. It was a favorite of my kids.

Crazy hospital visit... I am so glad that you are ok. But wouldn't it be nice to know... why the pain?

When my Yvette had her grand-mal seizure... nobody could tell us why she had it??? After all the testing, testing and more testing. CT scan's, MRI's, labs and spinal tap... no definitive diagnosis. 'Just hope it never happens again' was their suggestion.

This morning a friend of mine lost her hubby, age 55. He had been sick... wasn't feeling well. The typical upper respiratory infection... not so typical. After performing CPR he didn't make it.

YOU make sure that YOU take care of yourself Yvonne.

Go CANADA!!! check out those medals.

ToOdLeS.

Valerie said...

That is one of my all time favorite books. I couldn't read it to my daughter when she was little without crying and now I find it's exactly the same when I try to read it to Inigo.... heavy sigh...

Sorry to hear about your hospital experience! I hope you get on the mend VERY SOON!!!

Finally, when I saw that Canada won the game, I immediately thought of you and I was happy. I think it's GREAT the the host country won a game that was so important to them!!

aurora said...

So sorry about your night of mysterious pain--I hope that it stays away!

PJ said...

Pain stinks. I hope it stays far away from you!

mindyluwho said...

I'm sorry to hear about your being in so much pain and not knowing why. I sure hope it doesn't happen again.

I'm happy for all my Canadian friends that Canada won...but sad because USA didn't :)

chellie said...

I've read that book to my kids almost every night since the day they were born.... love it!