Monday, April 5, 2010

Conference

First of all, can I just say how ABSOLUTELY amazing I found Conference. I felt like so many of the talks were just for me. I'm going to just mention a few. So many talks about qualifying for the companionship of the Spirit.

I loved Sister Beck's talk and put a little star by her quote from Eliza R. Snow. So I had to quote it here: "We want to be ladies in very deed, not according to the term of the word as the world judges, but companions of the gods and holy ones. In an organized capacity we can assist each other in not only doing good but in refining ourselves and whether few or many come forward and help prosecute this great work, they will be those that fill honorable positions in the kingdom of God. Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated, but if we do not get all the appreciation that we think if our due, what matters. We know the Lord has laid high responsibility on us and there is not a wish or desire that the Lord hasn't planted in our hearts in rightesousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and enobling and qualify for those responsibilities."

Elder Ballard's talk was wonderful. I loved when he told the daughters not to look to contemporary culture for their role models and mentors but to look to their faithful mothers. He added they should "learn from her strengths, her courage and her faithfulness, listen to her--she may not be a wiz at texting or she may not even have a facebook page." (I loved that Kyle turned to Heidi and said, "Mom's got that covered.")

Didn't you love when Elder Carlson quoted the Prophet Joseph, "I made this my rule, when the Lord commands, do it."

And I can't wait to listen to Elder Holland's talk again--WOW.

I loved Elder Uchtdorf's comment about the woman who learnedd that she is like a crumpled $20 bill, even though it is crumpled it is still worth the full $20. And I LOVED the Jewish legend about the two brothers who had the spirit of compassion.

The story President Monson told was so incredible.

I need to go back and count how many of the talks mentioned hope. We were told several times to hang on and have hope. I loved when Elder Hallstrom said: "No matter the size of the issue, how we respond can re-set the course of our life." And then he said, "Never let an earthly circumstance disable you spiritually." WOW.

Great quote by Elder Martino, "..It is how we react to those difficulties that will determine our success and happiness. Each of us will face adversity...The question is not when we will face them but how we face them."

I thoroughly enjoyed Elder Hales talk. "We lead by understanding their hearts and walking alongside them on the Gospel path. To truly understand their hearts we must do more than just be in the same room or attending the same family and Church activities. We must plan and take advantage of teaching moments that make a deep and lasting impression upon their minds and hearts." "It is impossible to overestimate the influence of parents who understand the hearts of their children." "It is not the food but family interaction that nourishes the soul." "Be willing to listen and listen some more." The "Grandpa, are you there" part was so sweet.

Ponder and apply over the next six months.

Sidenote #1: NCAA Championship Monday Party tonight. Poor Allan missed his flight home this morning, so he will not be getting in until this afternoon. Small group tonight, but it will still be fun. (I will not stay up and watch 24 after the game, but I do have to admit a Monday without Jack will seem odd. Very disappointed to hear that Fox has cancelled 24.)

Sidenote #2: Started a new challenge with a new group today. Already blew the one treat--but then again, figured with the party tonight, I wasn't going to earn that point today.

Sidenote #3: Easter dinner last night was Taquitos. I think that was a first. Can I add, it was very lonely. Realizing now that we are flying Kyle home from Utah, rather than me flying down and driving back with him, I wish I had gone with Allan. It would have been so fun to spend Easter with the kids. Had to laugh when Allan called yesterday to ask the birth weight of all the kids--Kyle was thrilled to know he was my biggest at 9 pounds 2 ounces.

14 comments:

Sheri said...

Yep! That pretty much covers it!! I loved it all and thought they were speaking right to me!!

Garden of Egan said...

The talks were all excellent. I think Elder Holland speaks with such power and love.
He spoke in our Stake Conference 3 years ago and it felt like we were sitting in a living room at a fireside.

Heffalump said...

Conference was awesome as usual! I noticed that there were a lot of talks on parenting.

aubrey said...

i loved sister beck's talk too! i posted that quote on my blog..it spoke right to me and made me take stock in my life. yay for general conference!!

Nancy Face said...

I loved Conference too! I went through a lot of tissues from all the tears while listening! :)

Klin said...

It was so amazing, conference that is. I loved it all.

Cherie said...

Conference was SO powerful!! I get way excited about conference and was so happy to see your post here. I will be doing mine later this week but I loved those talks - I am a notetaker and a quote writer and there was SO much good material this conference. I mean there always is but Sat. both sessions were especially amazing!
I was in the Conference Center when Elder Holland gave his talk and WOW!
Don't feel bad about the Taquitos our Easter dinner was an Arby's Roast Beef Sandwich.

Valerie said...

As usual, Conference was just what I needed! Thank heavens for DVR so I can catch what I missed!

Connie said...

Oh, how I love conference! You have some of the great quotes and talks here. One other quote I'll mention is "The end will be better than the beginning." I can't remember the speaker's name but he talked about taking the cows and their calves down the long, dusty road.
Good luck on your next challenge.

mindyluwho said...

Sooo many good talks! I loved the one referencing the $20 bill, that spoke volumes to me!

Bonnie Tonita White said...

I loved conference too. Felt such hope and determination to keep forging ahead. Loved the music too. Have so much to mull over and consider. Watched the Duke vs Bulter game. We were holding our breath that last shot wishing it had gone in. My boys bought me season 5 of Lost so we have been going through a few episodes each night. I gave up on Jack the season he killed his brother. :get out of the car!" "WE don't have much time" are family Jack favs.

Natalie said...

Amen to your post. I loved, loved, loved conference. It was awesome! I think your re-cap is great and I will be re-reading it and copying some of the quotes.
I know how awesome you are and I appreciate and love you already.

Heidi said...

I loved conference too, as always;) Thanks for putting up the whole Eliza R. Snow quote---I want to hold onto that one! Conference reminded me of how incredibly blessed and privileged I am to have you for my mother!!! You are such an incredible woman of great faith and love! Thank you for all you are I love you TONS!!!

JustRandi said...

I LOVE your conference summary!!
I haven't heard saturday's yet, because we were still traveling. But sunday was amazing!