Friday, April 23, 2010

Disappointment/Joy

I am so grateful for the comfort we can receive as we kneel down and pray.

Disappointment: Recently, a couple of my children have faced some disappointments in their lives. (I know disappointment is something we all experience, and I do much better when I'm the one who is facing the disappointment instead of my children.) It is those moments that I really hate living so far away. It's so much harder to comfort them on the phone as opposed to being able to give them a big hug and remind them that you love them and that they will get through it. I appreciate so much the peace that comes when I kneel down and pour out my heart to my Heavenly Father who I know loves me and loves them (and loves them even more than I do) and is mindful of all of us. I think one of my favorite references to Jesus in the scriptures is when Nephi is quoting Isaiah and writes, "and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." I'm so grateful for Him.

Recently, Cherie did a post regarding Sister Julie Beck's conference talk. In the post, Cherie emphasized a quote from Sister Beck that I used the other night when I went Visiting Teaching and the next night when I went and taught a new member discussion--"The ability to qualify for, receive and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life." I love that quote--I'm so grateful for personal revelation.

Joy: The opposite of disappointment. I am feeling that joy now that Kyle is home. It is so great to have him here. It was so nice to have 3 of us at the dinner table again. The big question is: Whose hair is longer--mine or Kyle's. I had to laugh when his buddies came over last night and when they first saw him and one of them said, "Wow, Kyle. I've never seen you with a shag" Saturday can't come soon enough--HAIRCUT TIME FOR KYLE ; )

Sidenote #1: There is something so therapeutic about creating. I finally found a crochet pattern that I really like and have been working on a blanket for my new granddaughter. It's very different because the colors they want are chocolate brown and pink. I can't wait to finish it. Here's how it's looking.


Sidenote #2: I think Kyle is going to run the 10K with me. It's on Mother's Day weekend and it will be so fun to do it together.

Sidenote #3: Movie Recommendation: If you haven't seen "How To Train Your Dragon", go see it--very cute movie.


I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND FILLED WITH MUCH JOY.





18 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

Great thoughts Yvonne. It is hard to be away from our kids when they have sadness and heartache.

I keep hearing about How to Train a Dragon. We might have to break away.

Is that the cute Kyle that's going to be our missionary? We had the missionaries over on Tuesday night while they taught the lessons to a little 8 year old at the end of the block who is going to be baptized.

Sheri said...

I agree with you about how hard it is to see your kids suffer through disappointment. You are a great mom! Thanks for the thoughts and I love your blanket!!

txmommy said...

wow! Kyle looks different. He grew up a lot this year.

Rob and Ethan went to see the dragon movie and they both liked it.

sorry about your kids, that's hard.

Macy said...

The afghan is beautiful! And welcome home to Kyle.

Natalie said...

Oh I can certainly relate on how hard it is when kids have disappointments. I am sorry. I know it's soooo hard to be far away from them. Oh boy do I know. I hope they will be blessed with whatever they need.

I love your blanket that your crocheting. It will be so beautiful when it's done. I like the choc and pink combo.


Kyle is such a handsome young man. He will be a great missionary.

Hugs.

Heffalump said...

I'm glad Kyle got home safely! I know you will make the most of the time you have with him before he heads off on his mission.
The baby blanket is going to be beautiful! I love the pattern.

Heidi said...

Great thoughts mom--as always;) (no, I am not trying to suck up like Brent;p) Thanks for always loving me and encouraging me through the rough times! I am sure grateful for the joyous times and know the Lord is ALWAYS there for us!!! Glad you are having fun with Kyle, wish I could be there, too:( I love ya tons!

Tonya said...

I love the blanket and the colors.

I'm glad Kyle is home with you again. I think your hair was just a bit longer still..lol

Connie said...

Disappointments are a part of life but you're right, it's hard when it's our children! I hope all is well with them.
It's so good to be able to pray and receive the peace and comfort that all will be well.
Hooray for Kyle! Coming home and running the 10k with you! Can't wait to hear how that goes.
Have a beautiful Sunday!

PJ said...

I wish YOU lived closer to ME, 'cause I'd love one of those hugs now and then:)
I hope all goes well for your family members.

Enjoy having Kyle home!

I love the blanket already.

Lei said...

So glad you've got your boy home, at least for a bit.:) Best of luck to you guys on your 10K! And I love the beginnings of your blanket! Knitting, crocheting, quilting - all things on my to learn list.

Cherie said...

Kyle is a very very cute boy! I have a 19 year old daughter who runs and snowboards and jumps off high cliffs into the ocean - she's 19 (wink!)! She has a sister who lives in Idaho Falls - Hhhmmmm - Maybe we'll send her that direction towards the END of his mission - ha ha!

I hear you about being away from your kids when they are having a hard time. We have experienced that a bit this past year and it is no fun.

My husband took Trent to see that movie - They had a dad/son date and now I am wishing I would have seen it ...darn!

Cherie said...

P.S. I forgot to say that the blanket is going to be so cute - I really love the colors!

Nancy Face said...

It's so hard on us moms when our kids are sad or hurting! Yes, prayer is a great comfort.

I LOVED Sister Beck's talk! She is an amazing woman!

I'm so happy for you that you get to have Kyle home right now! :)

The blankie is turning out cute!

We really loved "How to Train Your Dragon"!

brown paper packages said...

I LOVE that blanket! I have always wanted to learn to crochet...I don't think I would be very good at it though, lol.

Haircut day is happy day around here too...when it goes over the ears, it's time to trim!

aubrey said...

i'm sorry about the troubles your children are having! you are such a good mother to be pulling and praying for them and worrying about them from so far away. i know you don't think it's a big deal, but it is. you are wonderful!

and i love that sister beck quote as well..thank goodness for the gift of revelation we all have access to!

Valerie said...

First of all: LOVE the crochet pattern!! I'm still such a beginner that patterns like that scare me, but one day I will tackle something similar. Love the colors too!
Glad Kyle made it home safely. Have fun running together! (I know one almost 18 year old who loves longer hair on guys. She thinks his hair do is perfect) ;-)

Amber said...

I love your posts because they give a real, honest perspective of what it is like to be a mom with grown children. I think watching their pains and disappointments will be such a trial for me as well. But I LOVE the quote you shared from Sister Beck. In fact, I included it in my favorite quote book!