Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Tear In My Eye

Monday night when we had Family Home Evening, those years of parenting nightmares went right out the window when Kyle shared a little "parable" about driving and getting "off the path". It was a great parable. We were going over Lesson #1 in Preach My Gospel. As much as I still think of Kyle as my little boy, I realize he's not. He has grown leaps and bounds.

And each night as we have been reading scriptures and Allan always asks, "What do you think?" or "What did you learn", unlike in the past when the answer was, "I don't know", he always has something to add. (I have to laugh whenever we read the phrase "exceedingly sore" which was one Kyle loved when he was little.)

I feel like our time together is going too fast. I find it harder and harder to get on the computer. There just seems to be so much to do with him here--lots of shopping, visiting, etc. (Now keep in mind it's not that he's sitting at home all the time, but I don't want to miss anything.) It is such a treat to hear him playing the piano. I didn't realize how much I have missed it. He also rented another guitar and is having fun with that. Sometime ago I talked about missing all the dishes--well, there are certainly lots more dishes to do now--yesterday he and a couple of his friends made lunch and made quite a mess. (I won't complain because in a few weeks it will just be two of us again)

Last night we had the missionaries over for dinner. It seemed funny as I listened to them and realized in a little over a month that will be Kyle. He asked all kinds of questions and the missionaries were great. In fact Elder E came with a spiritual thought from Preach My Gospel for Kyle. They both shared their experiences about what it's like to be a missionary. They were so sweet. I love the missionaries.

I'm feeling a little nostalgic and because I am, I have to post a few pictures of this cute kid.

With his niece, Kiah, who is 6 months older.













































I love this picture of these two little guys. They had such a good time when they were little--it will be so fun to have them share their mission stories.





















I know he's going to miss me, but he's REALLY going to miss his TANK.
























Every time I see this picture it makes me laugh--this was the day Brent left for the MTC.
























The trampoline has been at one of Kyle's friends, but they brought it back the other day and set up and we'll see if he can avoid getting hurt.


























At Amanda's wedding last year, Kyle and Heidi decided to "dance". I love this picture that Macy took. Heidi and Kyle get along so well and Macy captured their love for one another.






















His birthday a couple of weeks ago Heidi had this "cake" for him. I know she will miss him.


















Sidenote #1: The other day when I went out I wondered if the trees were ever going to have leaves--Monday night I NOTICED SOME. SPRING IS TRULY HERE.

Sidenote #2: I made a huge mistake on the blanket and had to rip out 10 rows. I was so mad at myself--I really need to count my stitches at the end of every couple of rows. Don't want to have to rip out again.








19 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

I'm so excited to hopefully meet him!!!!
He's a cutie!

He looks like a ton of fun and he'll be a great missionary.

Sheri said...

How exciting to know you have a missionary going out who is ready and excited to share the gospel! How hard to be the mom and let him go!!

Nancy Face said...

I sure loved the time I had with Ty before he left on his mission. He had realized by then that he would miss his Mama Face, so I got lots of good hugs! :)

Connie said...

It's fun how parts of the scriptures are favorites of the kids! Our kids favorite was "In the North and in the South"

He's going to be a fantastic missionary! It's OK to have a tear in your eye, I'm sure it's a mixed emotion tear!

Neal said...

I don't think anyone doubts that K is going to be an awesome missionary. So proud of him...

brown paper packages said...

He is going to be such an amazing missionary. I love that you can see the fruits of all your hard work as you raised him--

Valerie said...

You're experiencing what I call "Mommy Moments." It's when your kids prove that all those years of hard work, love and teaching actually paid off! They are sweet and bring us comfort.

Every time I see the missionaries walking around town I think.... in a few months that could be Kyle!

Heffalump said...

I don't blame you for being away from the computer. Soak him up while you can!
I am already dreading sending my sons off on missions because I know I will miss them so much, and I still have five and a half years before I have to!

carolyne b said...

Our children grow up so fast.. One day their babes in our arms and the next their out on there making a life for themselves. Idaho won't know what hit them when Elder Robison gets there. Will you and Alan be taking him down to the MTC? How was the dentist and all the last minute things going?

Yvonne said...

Those of you in Idaho--It does my little heart good to know that you all are there and will keep an eye out for him. Thank you so much.

Carolyne: Yes, we will be taking him down to the MTC.

He has his appointment to have his wisdom teeth removed this week. Hope he heals quickly because he has to run in a 10K with me next Saturday ; )

Tonya said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your visit. Enjoy the rest of your visit.

Amber said...

This is so true! You know what I find inspirational? That you are still doing FHE. So many families drop it when their kids get older even though it never stops being important!

ShEiLa said...

I have been nostalgic lately too...

I love the photo where the boys are in their boxing/fighting stance... Miss Maddy does this now if you say... Maddy show me your fighters. Ü

ToOdLeS.

Melissa said...

I'm glad you're having this time with him before he heads off to the mission field! It sounds like he will really be a fantastic missionary. Pat yourself on the back... :D

utmommy said...

Sounds like he'll be a great missionary!!

Klin said...

Don't waste time worrying about us. We will be here when Kyle is serving. Spend every second you can with him.

Remember that poem about how the dust, cob webs, and dishes will wait, but kids won't? Think of us as the cob webs. Well, me anyway. I'll be here reading when you get some time to tell all about Kyle and what you did before he entered the MTC.

Garden of Egan said...

My hubby is currently in Toronto. (I can't wait for him to get home)
He's just above the Canada side of Niagra Falls.
He went to church yesterday and the co-workers that he's traveling with wanted to go. They are all staunch members of their own churches. He said it was kinda funny and the Branch President was pleased with his numbers that day.


OK my verification word:
pureho

I'm not sure what to think about that but it's sorta hilarious.

tagskie said...

Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info

Super Happy Girl said...

So cute. Of course you're proud, look a t him.

"Those years of parenting nightmares ent right out the window when..." Do a post of that! Sometimes I don't know that will happen for me ;)