Monday, May 3, 2010

Just a Little Randomness

Maybe it's the gloomy weather, but I'm just feeling random:
  • I kept looking at the date today wondering what it was about it that was making me sad. Finally it hit me--47 years ago today my dad died. I was 12 and I remember coming home from school and my mom telling me he had died. (My dad was a plumber in San Francisco. There had been some kind of argument with my mom, and my dad had gone to work and had stayed for a few days. He got sick and ended up in the hospital. A few days later he died. When my mom told me I really didn't believe her. I don't know why--it's not that my mom ever lied to me. I can tell you for the next 10 years, everywhere I went I kept looking for my dad. (I guess because I didn't go to the funeral I just didn't think he was really dead)
  • I'm taking Kyle to the dentist tomorrow morning to have his wisdom teeth pulled. Allan and I were laughing with him the other night about taking him to his favorite restaurant where he always orders steak and lobster. I said I thought tomorrow night would be the PERFECT night to take him--we'd walk out of there with a much smaller bill.
  • Trying to decide if I'm going to be mean and post a picture of Kyle after he has his teeth pulled. (I still regret not taking that picture of Heidi when she fell down the stairs in her walker ; ) (Now the only reason I'd even tell you about that is because I WAS NOT HOME!!!! We all know if I had been home THAT WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED ; )
  • Being married to Mr. Organization means that Kyle, Allan and I each have a list with everything that has to be done to get Kyle ready for his mission. I feel like we go over the list every couple of days. Now let me be very clear--I am SO INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL MY HUSBAND IS SO ORGANIZED!!!
  • Added to that list is my list of goodies to make/buy for Kyle's "farewell" in a couple of weeks. I'm very excited to get in the mail the Idaho-shaped cookie cutters I bought. I guess I will frost them in white or green or brown depending on the season.
  • Kyle has helped me figure out how to play some of the games on my Wii. I made an amazing golf shot--HE was impressed.
  • Went out today to look for a new dress and decided I REALLY AM CHEAP. Whenever I look at the price tag on a dress I'm always reminded of the father and son in a store many moons ago--the dad looks at a tie and says to his son, "I'm not paying that" to which the son replies, "Dad, you can't buy a tie for $5 anymore.
  • I ran 11.4 km on Saturday. Decided that my next class will be a half-marathon class. It may be a little too ambitious. I'll give it a try and see what happens.


16 comments:

Sheri said...

How hard that must have been to lose you dad at such a young age and have no closure.
I am jealous of your organizational skills - even if you have a helper! I am also amazed at your running! I think I might just have to get on the bandwagon!!
Idaho shaped cookies?! How fun! Enjoy the next few weeks and tell Kyle to take Ibuprofen before his appt.!! Good luck!
Love you - hugs!!

Natalie said...

Kyle is so handsome and seems like such a great guy. He will be a great missionary. One of my sons had his wisdom teeth out just before his mission and he ate a hamburger that evening. The other kids weren't as lucky. Hope Kyle does well.
I have a son who lives in Idaho.
Idaho shaped cookies will be so fun.
I lived in S.F. for many years. One more thing we have in common.:)
I am just amazed at your running skills.
You are awesome.

Nancy Face said...

Your experience of losing your dad as a child is so sad. I'm so sorry for such a great loss in your life.

Poor, poor Kyle! Getting wisdom teeth removed is the WORST! And yep, you can be sure that I took hideous pictures of my poor kids after they went through it! ;)

Cherie said...

The story of your dad is a sad one. I am so sorry. I picture a young girl always looking at faces, looking for her dad for 10 years and it breaks my heart.

Wisdom teeth ahhhh one of the joys in life...not! I was a nice mom and didn't take pictures only because I can remember all too well the pain I went through getting my own out many moons ago...ouch! The steak and lobster part...hilarious! Now THAT I would do. Hee hee

I love that you are going to make Idaho cookies. You may have to make them green (it's pretty green right now) with white dots for the snow flurries! Will spring ever come ?

Have a great day!

ShEiLa said...

Yvonne,
the whole running thing amazes me.

I just went through the wisdom tooth extractions with my son Ted. Ouch! At least he didn't end up with dry sockets like his sister.
I didn't get photos of Ted either. The best one would have been the recovery room with the dental floss strings hooked to gauze hanging out of his mouth.

That sure is a long time to be without your Dad... :(

ToOdLeS.

Super Happy Girl said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. I can't imagine looking for him for 10 years after that :( Our counselor says that our bodies know things, like you figuring out that the date was making you sad.

When I have my wisdom teeth pulled out I am not inviting you over Yvonne!

Heffalump said...

I'm sorry you lost your Dad so young. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to wonder all those years.
I never had my wisdom teeth out. I hope Kyle gets through it with minimal pain and swelling!

brown paper packages said...

I am so sorry that you had to lose your dad at such a young age, and still not really feel that he was gone. (((hugs))

What a great idea to have Idaho-shaped cookies! So fun!

I think you should do the 1/2 marathon class! My friend just asked me to run one with her this fall, and I think I must might do it! Then I could have you to commiserate with. :)

Lei said...

I love the randomness. (((hugs))) on the loss of your dad. Years don't cover up that kind of pain. GOOD LUCK on the half mary training!!!

aurora said...

That is so sad about not having closure about your dad's death. I hope that your sadness has lifted and that there may be a little sunshine over there soon.
xox

Natalie said...

I just got home from miss. work and realized I didn't say anything about your Father. I am sorry you lost him when you were so young. It must have been soooooo hard for you. Father's are so special and they are someone you remember no matter how many years go by.
Isn't it wonderful that we know that you will see him and be with him again. Isn't the gospel just awesome!

Carrot Jello said...

Your dad story mad me sad.
I'm sorry.
The more I learn about you, I must conclude that...
You are amazing.

Doran & Jody said...

So sorry about your dad. That must have been so hard.

Orga what? Not really, I am an organizer on paper. I just can't seem to organize in real life.

I didn't think to take pictures of my girls when they had their teeth ripped out...dang! Cortney suffered a bit, but Camri seemed to have no problem.

You go girl on your running! I am so impressed!

Valerie said...

Idaho shaped cookies sounds so cute! More snow today, so keep the frosting white!
The story of your dad's death breaks my heart.
Keep running! You can do it!!

Anonymous said...

TUTUROR Va spun - mi s-a parut amuzant, am facut testul si m-au sunat
inainte sa termin de povestit!! S-a implinit ceva neasteptat. Sa vi se
implineasca si voua ceea ce va doriti!

Oameni buni……l-am facut si………….jur ca……….dorinta mi
s-a implinit in 15 minute.

Inca ma mai mir. Sa joci nu costa nimic.

SUERTE

Noroc!

Vraja Vrajitorie

Intradevar functioneaza. Acum cateva luni am primit un e-mail asemanator
cu acesta pe care vi-l trimit si am urmat instructiunile. A doua zi mi
s-a implinit dorinta si era ceva care nu se putea intampla accidental,
adica era o dorinta aproape imposibila….. si s-a implinit. Asa ca acum
va trimit ce am primit ca sa incercati si voi. Noroc!

Va asigur ca e adevarat pentru ca am avut rezultate in mai putin de o
ora. Nu costa sa incercati…Puteti incerca si vedeti, chiar daca unii
spun “nu cred in vrajitoare, dar “se stiu”. Pune-ti o dorinta…si vezi
ce sa va intampla…Incepe sa te gandesti la ceva ce-ti doresti cu
adevarat pentru ca functioneaza…

Persoana care mi-a trimis acest mesaj mi-a zis ca dorinta i-a fost
indeplinita la 10 minute dupa ce a citit mesajul si atunci m-am gandit
sa-l trimit. Vrajitoarele iti vor implini o dorinta!!!

Pune-ti dorinta cand se termina numaratoarea inversa!!!

10…
09…
08…
07…
06…
05…
04…
03…
02…
01…

*****Pune-ti dorinta********

Trimite acest mesaj la10 persoane in decurs de o ora. Daca-l trimiti,
dorinta ta se va realiza. Daca nu-l trimiti, se va intampla exact
inversul dorintei tale…….. dupa aceea imi spui ce s-a intamplat.

Heidi said...

You are soooo awesome mom! I am so impressed with all the running you are doing!
Glad you guys are soooo organized;) I should recruit you to come organize my classroom;p
Good luck on your race! Love ya!