Friday, June 11, 2010

Changes


I wonder why we get nostalgic sometimes? I was talking to a good friend on Sunday from my Ward where I joined the Church because I heard they combined both of the Wards and he was mentioning how everyone was feeling nostalgic. I have felt nostalgic ever since I got home from Utah. I drive by the elementary school and the junior high and am flooded with memories. I'll drive by a soccer field and remember being there with Kyle. But the clincher was Saturday when I went to check on my friend, Cory's house, and started to cry. She had been out of town and when I walked in and realized this would be the last time I would be in their house the tears started to flow.

I guess I really don't do as well as I thought with change. We have been friends with the P's since we moved here back in Feb. 1996. Their oldest daughter, Shandi, was in YW with Heidi and so they would come and pick her up. I really think that's how the friendship began.

Allan and I were talking about them yesterday and all the great things they have done. Darell was Brent's scout leader and was our Bishop. He helped at every Seminary breakfast I had--even after his kids were no longer in Seminary. And, of course, who can forget when he played Laban in our production of Nephi and the Brass Plates. (If Brent were here, I'd have a clip attached ; ) I can't read that part of the Book of Mormon without thinking of him impersonating a drunken Laban singing "Book of Mormon Stories". Cory and I have served together a couple of times. She is my decorator--she has helped me numerous times with where to put things and what color to paint. We have had holidays together, gone on numerous "double dates" --in fact, we're off in a few hours to go to the movies together; ), and I cannot count how many times they have been here to watch our children when we have gone away. They are the kind of people who are ALWAYS there to help--and you never have to ask. They have been here for many parties and are always the last ones to leave and helping us with the clean up and putting things away. In fact, there are times when I can't remember where something is and Cory knows.

What will I do when March Madness comes around--our numbers have dwindled so much, but I sure hope Darell still makes his picks. We usually share the middle spot.

Who am I gonna call when I'm watching Dancing With the Stars. During commercials I pick up the phone and call her and we would talk and LAUGH about how horrible someone was or talk about how amazing a couple was. When Dancing With the Stars came here, we went and it was so fun. That also makes me think of dances--Cory teaching me the hand jive at the Harvest Ball ; )

We have done so many things together at Christmas. The train ride.


How can we go caroling without them???


Cory giving the little guy a bad time--can't remember if it was just whipped cream or a creme puff ; )

At the corn maze several years ago when Cory and I were serving in Young Women.

And here's the picture of Laban--oh, if only you could hear him and watch him in his performance. (So glad we have the video ; )

Darell and I were at so many Girls Camps together. The girls LOVE him. He is so much fun.

Darell was always right there to help with the Seminary breakfast--Kaitlyn doesn't seem very happy. (Mornings were not her thing--but she was a trooper. I loved teaching her--she taught me a great deal.

They are family--so they were with us the night Brent was set apart.

This picture makes me laugh every time I see it--Allan was his Bishop when Riley got ready to go on his mission. I had to laugh when I went to the building to take a picture before he was set apart. It was so funny--we had a good laugh when I took this picture.

Proud parents when Elder P returned home from his mission.

Speaking of missionaries, these two will be out together. She received her mission call and will be going to California in September. (They have birthdays 2 days apart--this was when he turned 16 and they were getting ready to go to Youth Conference.)

So now whenever I drive by their street my mind will play many of these things in my head. I sure love you guys and am going to miss you. Hopefully, our paths will cross again.

I am curious--we are having an Open House for them at our house Sunday night--and I'm wondering WHO'S GOING TO HELP ME???

Sidenote: Got regular e-mail on Monday and a letter on Wednesday. Had to laugh when I talked to one of my sons who said he doesn't know what he's going to do when his boy goes on a mission--he was gone to football camp for 3 days and Stephen was dying cause he couldn't text him ; )

15 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Nostalgia...
I guess it gets the best of us.

My friend Kimberly is up at Girls Camp this week as the Camp Director and I am at home... but I remember one of the best trips to Girls Camp as a leader and it was with my dear friend Kimberly.

Photographs are wonderful when it comes to feeling nostalgic... they trigger memories better than anything else. Unless you don't have photos and you happen to have sisters with a knack for remembering the most awful stories you wish could be forgotten.

I love your post Yvonne. I better get going... I have to go pick up my grand-girls.

ToodLeS.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness what a post. You made tears come to my eyes because I can totally relate to everything you said. How wonderful it is to have friends like that. You are so blessed. Your words made me think of my friends and how much I miss them. Change is really, really hard. It's just soooooooo hard. You will be fine though. I know you will. You are a woman of faith and courage and as such, you will be just fine.
I admire your strenght and stamina. I admire your faithfullness and the way you live your life. You are a great woman. I can't wait to meet you IRL.
Hugs my friend.

Garden of Egan said...

People like that are what make life so joyous!
I loved the pictures. Looks like the best of people.

Kaitlyn said...

Here I am, sitting at work just creeping your blog like I always do. Little did I know it would make me sob at the front desk. I know my parents are moving but it seriously didn't hit until I read this going through every memory you talked about and realizing it's all coming to an end. Who would have thought this day would actually every happen??
I keep telling myself change is good, but i still have a hard time believing it.
Thank you for allowing us to make the blog one last time! even if the picture of me are a little embarrassing :)

txmommy said...

saying good bye to friends is always awful, even if it's only for a while.

Sheri said...

What an amazing and fun friendship!
I admire that! We never put down roots long enough to form those! I am sure this one will endure!
Glad to hear Kyle is doing so well! Looking forward to hearing how my nephew felt about his first week in
the MTC!!

Heffalump said...

I hate it when close friends move away. It's always so sad! Glad you have so many good memories though!

Klin said...

This gets to me right now. I have a friend moving this week and the last couple of months we have gotten even closer. So it's hard for me and her oldest is good friends with my youngest and it's hard for them, too. Memories and visiting are going to get me through.

Valerie said...

It's definitely hard when good friends move!! So sorry they are leaving! You definitely need to make sure you schedule "Cory time" every couple of years where you meet and reconnect with each other.

Carrot Jello said...

:(
Heavenly Father will bring another wonderful family into your lives.
I'm sure of it.

Heidi said...

Lots of good memories!!! what awesome friends they have been and glad we can keep in touch:) I wish I could be there to help you mom...keep being the awesome friend you are to soooooooooo many! Ps--what does it say on their shirts they are wearing in the first pic?

aubrey said...

oh my..i get so nostalgic too. what a great post about your dear friend.

we have friends who are like family to us and miss them SOOO much. we were pregnant together and had our babies within days of each other and then three years ago they moved to utah. luckily we get together every few months but it's just not the same as being together every day or so when they lived here.

i'm sorry, yvonne!!

Super Happy Girl said...

What wonderful memories.
I know, my BFF moved away this week and it's really not easy :(

Chantel said...

It is so nice to have wonderful friends. I wish I could help you on Sunday, but the drive is a bit long. Good luck with it though. It is sad to think of all the changes that take place in life. But it is always fun to remember the wonderful memories.

Cherie said...

Yvonne what is the saying..."it takes a long time to grow an old friend".
I had this same scenario about a year ago when some of our best friends moved across the country - we still cry!
I loved reading about all of your great memories with your friends! Those are the kinds of things that makes roots for our families and sweet reminders of good times!

God Bless

Cherie :D