Monday, June 21, 2010

A Few Thoughts That Uplift Me

A friend commented on my last post about Kyle's talent (I can't tell you how many times I've watched the video--he's just so doggone cute) and I shared with her this quote from Elder McConkie, "Being subject to law, and having their agency, all the spirits of men, while yet in the Eternal Presence, developed aptitudes, talents, capacities, and abilities of every sort, kind and degree. During the long expanse of life which then was, an infinite variety of talents and abilities came into being. As the ages rolled, no two spirits remained alike. Mozart became a musician; Einstein centered his interest in mathematics; Michelangelo turned his attention to painting....and so it went through all the hosts of heaven, each individual developing talents and abilities as his soul desired." (Bruce R. McConkie, The Mortal Messiah, Salt Lake City, Deseret Book)

Whenever I read it, I always wonder where I spent my time. I do love to serve others--so maybe I was somewhere learning how to nurture, be a giver, whatever. All I know is wherever it was--I should have spent more time ; )

I have been thinking so much lately about Sister Beck's talk from our last General Conference. I was particularly impressed with her words about "measuring our success". She said, "In a world where the measures of success are often distorted, it is important to seek appreciation and affirmation from proper sources." Hmmm.

I find myself at times getting caught up in the comparing and wondering if I'm good enough--I need to work harder at really understanding who I am. I don't want to use the world's gauge to tell me whether I'm good enough and I don't want to compare myself to others. When I do that, I know I use their best and compare it to my worst. And that is NOT GOOD.

When I read the most recent First Presidency Message in this month's Ensign from Pres. Monson, I was struck by this sentence: "To live greatly, we must develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility." That's the way I want to live. And I want to be a woman who uplifts and helps those around me.

We had a fabulous speaker at our Women's Conference a couple of weekend's ago and she sent me her notes and one of the quotes that I love is from Wendy Ulrich, ", “I am most inclined to envy another’s life when I am neglecting my own. When I feel jealous of someone else, I know it is time to refocus my energy on owning my own life, taking the risks to develop my talents and celebrate my uniqueness.” I really love that--I need to celebrate my uniqueness.

LET ME GET BACK TO THE TOPIC OF BEING UPLIFTED:

Saturday morning on my run I saw the cutest thing that touched me. (Oh, how I wish I had my camera with me--I saw a little couple who were probably in their mid to late 80's out for a walk. He was pushing a walker with wheels and she was holding onto his arm. They looked so cute together and I thought, "I hope that's Allan and me in a few years--I don't want to just be sitting in our house looking out the window. I want to stay active."

I am so excited about my upcoming trip to California to help when my newest granddaughter is born. It will be fun to cook, clean and do laundry for a full house. I'm sure I will be ready to come home when it's time, but I am soooo very excited about seeing and holding the new baby. I'm going to spend a couple of days with a friend and then my sisters before I head up to see my son and his wife and kids

And last week I received some wonderful things in the mail--

I won this CD from a giveaway over here. It is beautiful. Thanks, tauna.

I mentioned before that I won earrings in my challenge. They arrived and I LOVE THEM. I can't wait to wear them.

My daughter, Heidi, made me these earrings for Mother's Day. Heidi is so creative. Thanks, sweetie.


Let me share with you what I found on my wrist--isn't it cute ; ) (No, not the wrist--goodness, my skin looks old, but I love that I have a cute little heart freckle or age spot, whatever.

AND ONE FINAL THING OR GUY THAT UPLIFTS ME--THIS GUY (the older one). He is a great man and a fabulous Father.I love you, honey. You are THE BEST. I can't believe this was the first Father's Day in years that you haven't had any of your children at home. I did my best to make it A GREAT ONE FOR YOU.


Sidenote: Allan received a great Father's Day message last night. Elder Rob had dinner yesterday at the home of a family where he's serving in Idaho. The dad called to wish Allan a Happy Father's Day. (Apparently the dad has a son serving a mission in Alberta and told Elder Rob he would call his dad to say Happy Father's Day--what a sweet man)



12 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness. I don't even know what to say. Your thoughts and sentiments echoed mine so much. I so agree with the things you said. Oh yes, I too love to serve others and I wonder about my talents. I definitely should have spent more time learning and develping them too. I totally agree with your words on not being good enough. I love Pres Monsons words on--to live greatly....

I know you have soooo many talents and one of them is making others feel good. Another of your talents is encouraging others to be their best. I admire your strenght and courage. I think you are awesome.

You will have so much fun on your California visit. Hope you realy enjoy yourself.

Love n' hugs.

Nancy Face said...

This is a wonderful post, Yvonne! I've never before heard that quote from Bruce R. McConkie...wow, so awesome!

Your little heart freckle is cute! :)

Melissa said...

That quote by Wendy Ulrich struck me so hard! You have no idea how I've needed that today - thank you :)

carolyne b said...

What a great post and so true. We truly need to be happy in our own skin. Enjoy the uniquness that is us. How many times have I looked at someone else and thought how I would like to trade places with them. Their life appears more exciting, interesting and fulfilled. And then like you said, we need to appreciate the talents we have (and we all have one or more) embrase and accept ourselves for the strengths and challenges our Eternal Father gave us. Thanks Yvonne for sharing.

ShEiLa said...

Cute heart freckle. Ü

Very interesting thoughts on talents & abilities, how we spend our time, and measuring success.
I do think the whole comparison game can be so detrimental to our self worth.

Yesterday a couple from our Ward leaving this week for Armenia on a mission. They were so well prepared. I could see you and Alan on the same level... serving the Lord one day in the future.
They have already been learning the language via Skype and preparations gallore... and their daughter got married the end of May and another had surgery... they emphasized that there never would be a perfect time to go... so they are just putting their trust in our Father in Heaven.
If you are curious and want to peek in from time to time... they have set up a blog. bobandbarbjones.blogspot.com

Thanks for sharing Yvonne.

ToOdLeS.

mindyluwho said...

I love the quote by Elder McConkie and I, too, wonder what I spent my time doing. I am so guilty of comparing myself to others. We ALWAYS come up short when we do that. Yesterday in church the lesson was on Saul and David. The point was brought home about how much Saul obsessed over his jealousy of David and in the process ruined many lives.

Thank you for the thought provoking post!

Tonya said...

I'm so thankful you posted this today. I really needed to read it. I know that we have never met but I can tell you that I am positive that you are a woman who uplifts and serves. Your positive attitude has on many occasions uplifted me and today is just another example.

Thank you Yvonne. I'm so glad to "know" you.

Connie said...

I love Wendy Ulrich's quote! You are a person who uplifts and inspires! I can tell just by reading your blog and I'm glad to know you!
Beautiful earrings! Have fun with that new grandbaby and family!

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post!

Sheri said...

Just so you know... you don't have to want to be someone who uplifts others because you ARE someone who always uplifts others! Great message as usual! Have fun in sunny Cal with your cute family!!

Valerie said...

Again, you have left me inspired and UPLIFTED!!! You have a definite talent and ability to share your thoughts and insights (and testimony) in such a beautiful and inspirational way. You give me a lot to think about and I'm grateful for that!
I'm so glad Allan could hear from Elder Rob... in a manner of speaking! What a wonderful gift!

Cherie said...

Yvonne I love to come visit you. You have a special way of uplifting and inspiring.
I can relate to so much of what you said here - I often know when I need to work on myself more and be of better service to others also.
Love all the goodies you won - that is always fun!
Hope you have a Happy Day!

Garden of Egan said...

Looks like you scored!
Great gifts.

Have fun in Calif!
Keeping my eyes out for that Elder!