Monday, June 28, 2010

I LOVE SURPRISES

I have to tell you what a fun day Sunday was. I went to the Ward where I joined the Church some 36 years ago. It was so great to see so many of these people who had such a profound effect on me. My mind was just flooded with memories.

When Priscilla and I left her house to head to my sister, Linda's house, I decided I needed to call just in case she had changed the location of the party. When she answered I could tell she was extremely stressed trying to get everything ready. After a minute or two, she said, "Well, I'll call you later in the week." About 5 minutes later I was knocking at the door and she just started screaming and couldn't believe it. I could see the tears--it was so fun. Then when my other sisters arrive, it was so fun to see the double takes as they almost walked by me. (I'm so glad I decided to surprise them)

The party was so fun. We took lots of pictures, ate lots of food, and had some great laughs.

I have a big family and it was fun to see nieces and nephews and their little ones.

Congratulations to my niece, Kelly on her graduation.

And speaking of surprises--today I had the most amazing day. Let me back up--a few weeks ago I decided to send a letter to my mother's brother. I wasn't sure if he was still alive but decided to just try and touch base with him. Last week I received a lovely letter from him. He talked about how young he was when his mother died and that his father just gave up and left the family--there were 8 boys and 3 girls. He said how sad it was that they hadn't done a better job of keeping in touch and how grateful he was that I sent a letter. So I decided to ask my sister, Linda, if she wanted to make the 1 1/2 drive to go and see him. (She was a little hesitant but decided to go)

I didn't have a phone number for him, so we headed out and got there around noon. I went to the door and this sweet little voice yelled "Come on in". When I told him who I was he was so surprised. I got my sister and her husband and the 4 of us had a lovely visit. I kept looking at his little face trying to see my mom, but I couldn't. There I sat with my paper and pen and took notes. He then said, "My daughter compiled a book with all kinds of family information--would you like a copy?" ARE YOU KIDDING????

He said he thought it was so sad that his grandchildren could pass us up on the street and not know us--so he was so happy to have us try to connect. Out of the 11 children, only 3 of them are left. (I always thought my mom's family died at an early age, but her oldest sister died at 98 and another sister died at 94)

His wife died about 5 years ago--after 57 years of marriage. I think my mom would have been so happy that we were visiting with him.

After we left, we headed to the little beach I wrote about some time ago. It is located near Bodega Bay and is named after my great great grandfather. It is beautiful.

SIDENOTE: Elder Rob is doing great. He sounds so wonderful.

21 comments:

Sheri said...

That is so amazing!! How wonderful! I am sure it was special to you, but I am touched just thinking about how much it must have meant o your uncle!! I am close to tears - good for you Yvonne and I am sure your sisters loved the surprise!! You are fabulous!!

Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful pictures! Great looking family.
Glad the Elder is doing well!

Natalie said...

What a wonderful surprise. I wish I had been there to see the reaction. What fun!!!!!!I'm so glad you're having such a good time.
Your family looks so great!
What a blessing to meet your uncle and what a great day for you.
I love Bodega bay. My Dad used to go there all the time.
Have a wonderful, wonderful time.
Hugs.

Nancy Face said...

This is SOOO happy! :)

The purple bouganvillea you're all standing in front of is just gorgeous! I wish I could get one of those to grow here, but no success for me!

glittersmama said...

I surprised my sisters like that before. It was awesome.

ShEiLa said...

You named your blog right... especially the travels part. YOU do traveling so well. I think I am more of a 'homebody'. It was so neat that you went to see your Mom's brother. I bet he was surprised.

ToOdLeS.

mindyluwho said...

How fun!! I love surprises like that. And I love how you went to visit your uncle, I bet he is still delighted about that!

Heffalump said...

Awesome! I'm glad you had such an eventful visit!

carolyne b said...

Isn't it wonderful to suprise people and to see the shock on their faces... how did you get here, wasn't I just talking to you? We did the same thing for my in-laws 40th in 1999. Only 2 family members knew we were coming. What a shock and like you said some not expecting to see you walked past...same here. We also took a drive to Manchester to see a sister Peter hasn't seen since he was a little boy and had much the same reaction..
My uncle compiled a spreadsheet of my family and like you I was thrilled to receive it..of course Peter said, now you can baptise the dead ones.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to reconnect with family. It must have been a great experience for you. I hope you enjoyed your time with your sisters.

Connie said...

The story of you surprising your family made me smile! How fun! That was so cool you could see your uncle.

Take care.

Klin said...

This post is just full of good feelings. I love to hang with my dad's living brother and one of my mom's sisters. That is why I went to Cali this last weekend.

aubrey said...

what a fantastic post, yvonne. such great things to report and fun that you had! i absolutely love surprises..doing the surprising and being surprised. yay!

Carrot Jello said...

Nice!
I love the picture of you and your sisters. I can see the resemblance between all of you.

Super Happy Girl said...

"would you like a copy?" ARE YOU KIDDING???"

HAHAHAHA! You're awesome.

Suzanne said...

What a great post! How fun that you've been able to have connections to so many people who are important to you!!!

Yvonne said...

Sheri: It was so incredibly special to me. When he wrote me a couple of weeks ago and wrote about how much it meant to get a letter, I knew I had to go and visit with him.

Garden of Egan: Thanks

Natalie: It was so fun.

I'm sure I have met my uncle before, but it was so long ago. It was just so sweet to sit and visit with him.

nancyface: I am just in awe of my sister's green thumb. She has such a beautiful yard--I told her she needs to come and plant some flowers in my yard. All I have is lawn and a few bushes--BORRRRRRRING!!!

glittersmama: It was just so incredibly fun.

sheila: I love to travel.

My uncle was just so sweet. I wish I lived closer because I'd love to be able to visit him more often.

mindylou: It was such a wonderful trip--I am having the best time.

heffalump: I am still thinking about how great it was. I am so glad we did it--so much fun.

carolynne b: That must have been such a fun trip for you.

anonymous: It was, thanks.

connie: It was so wonderful. I'm so glad I did it that way.

klin: It's wonderful to hang out with family--I don't get to do it often enough. Glad you had a chance to visit with your family.

aubrey: Thanks. I love surprising others--I'm not so big on being surprised. Silly, but I get embarrassed ; (

carrot: Yeah, there is some resemblance there. It's funny, I look at them and think THEY ARE SURE LOOKIN OLD ; ) Of course, I'M NOT!!!!

NCS: It was such a wonderful thing to have him tell me he has such a thing. I cannot wait to receive it.

suzanne: It was wonderful. This has been a great trip.

Tonya said...

What a wonderful surprise. I'm glad you are having a great time.

Reconnecting can be so wonderful. Good for you!

Heidi said...

I am soooooo happy for you mom! I am glad you got to spend time with your fam and how amazing that you will get that family history:) I am excited!!!

Zach Face said...

Kudos on the missionary son!

And I am Nancy Face's son, by the way. I finally have a blog! :)

P.S. Does your son still have the blog with the movie reviews?

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

What cool experiences you're having. So happy for you.