Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Love This



The other day my friend, Paula, told me she had videotaped Kyle playing the piano at his farewell and wondered if I wanted the clip. I downloaded it last night and the best part for me is hearing his voice. I haven't videotaped my kids in a long time--makes me realize I need to do it when we're together again.

Thanks, Paula. On those days I'm missing him, I can just watch.

I just got off the phone with him--he called from the airport before flying to Idaho. He thought he was bussing to Idaho but as it turned out they flew, and I was so glad because I got to talk to him. He sounds GREAT. It was so wonderful to hear the enthusiasm in his voice. I asked him if he had any advice for anyone getting ready to enter the MTC, and you gotta love his response, "Don't eat the enchiladas. They may taste good, but they'll kill ya." (Apparently his companion had a BAD experience.)

Now I'm good until my Christmas call.

Sidenote: The open house Sunday night went well. Good thing there are a couple of zone conferences this week because we have TONS of desserts left over. Last night we went with Cory and Darell to a great dessert place here in town.

15 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow!! He has a wonderful talent! I'm sure the mission will put it to use!! I loved how his fingers just flew over the keys... such a light touch! This is a treasure! Thanks for sharing!

Garden of Egan said...

I'll be keeping my eyes open. Awesome to have a recording of him

Natalie said...

What a handsome, awesome missionary you have. I loved his piano playing. He sure is a talented young man. Yes, he will definitely use his talent on the mission. :)

Heffalump said...

Cool!
I'm glad he is doing well so far, and that he was able to call you!

ShEiLa said...

What a sweet gesture of love and appreciation for talent. Lucky Mom you are to have that moment to watch over and over.

I am glad HE survived the enchiladas.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

What a great, talented son! How nice to have that video. Thanks for sharing it! I'll be anxious to hear of Elder Kyle's adventures!

Amber said...

He is soooooooo great. Kudos to any mama who has her son playing the piano. Too many people only put their daughters in lessons.

But I'm willing to bet you won't be OK 'til that Christmas phone call. :)

Carrot Jello said...

Wow, he made that up? What a talent!

Yvonne said...

valerie: That's the part that is so amazing to me. I have trouble getting my left hand to play at a different speed than my right ; )

garden of eden: I'm so happy I have it. Please let me know if you catch a glimpse of him.

natalie: Thank you. He has worked hard at developing his talent which I know will be put to good use.

heffalump: The phone call truly made my day.

sheila: I'm so happy I have it--it just makes me smile every time I see it.

I'm glad the enchiladas weren't more of a problem, too.

connie: Thank you. It is so exciting to have a son on a mission (as you know) and you just want to share so I appreciate your understanding.

amber: He started playing when he was around 5 and just took to it. I never had to bug him to practice. (I think maybe once he wanted to quit, and I'm so glad we encouraged him to hang with it.) It never interfered with sports or school or Church.

I know I will miss him, but when it gets bad I'll just go to youtube ; )

carrot: Yes, he has composed several songs.

Sheri said...

Amazing talent!! How neat to have that recorded!! He is going to do the world much good in Idaho!!

Doran & Jody said...

How fun! What talent!

mindyluwho said...

Wow. That was beautiful! I'm in awe of a talent like that.

aurora said...

That was stunning!

Tonya said...

He really is talented. I'm glad he's on his way and you got to talk to him again. Thanks for sharing your video.

CD said...

Wow, the imagination, amazes me.