Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Sort of "To Do List"

The other day I was purging some files, and I came across this sweet list of "Ten Ways to Say I LOVE YOU To Your Child"--
  1. When you and your child are around other adults, include your child in your conversations
  2. If your child breaks something, help him/her fix it
  3. When your child says, "Watch me", take time to watch him/her. Afterwards say, "Great job!"
  4. When your child says, "Read me a story," treat it as the most wonderful invitation you'll receive all day
  5. Say "I love you" as often as you can. Definitely you make sure to say it just before your child leaves for school (or you leave for work) and last thing before turning out the light
  6. Take up a new hobby or sport with your child
  7. Give your child a hug--in fact, give them lots of hugs
  8. Write notes and put them in your child's lunch box
  9. Sometimes, take your child for ice cream or a special treat "just because you're such a great kid"
  10. Set aside some time to talk with your child every day. During that time don't work on the computer, watch television, wash the dishes, or pay bills. Just be there.
Take it from this old empty nester---ENJOY EACH AND EVERY MINUTE WHEN THEY ARE HOME WITH YOU!!!! Each time I read this list, my mind is flooded with memories and I get weepy. I'm sure glad I have those little Mii Characters on my Wii--some days I feel like I'm surrounded by family--then I have to remind myself THAT'S A LITTLE CRAZY.

13 comments:

Amber said...

I LOVE this list and bookmarked this page. Definitely keeping it for my files as well!

txmommy said...

this is a good list, and good to remember. thanks!

Natalie said...

Good list.
I'm with you on the empty nest. I still really miss my kids a lot!!!!!!

Connie said...

As I look through my files of papers that I have accumulated over the years, a flood of memories, thoughts and feelings come over me and I get weepy. I have just one child left at home and I'm sure it won't be long before he's flown the nest.

Great list, btw. I need to give it to my daughters.

Cherie said...

Amen, Amen and AAAAMMMEEENNNN!! I love this list - I live by this list. It's a good one!

Doran & Jody said...

That's it! I'm getting a Wii now.

Thanks for the post.

Heffalump said...

I do love all the family Mii's running around on the Wii. We especially like to play a game of baseball on Wii sports...then we get to see everyone! (We made Mii's for Grandparents and cousins and Aunts and Uncles, so we have a lot of them!)

brown paper packages said...

I needed this today, thank you.

Valerie said...

That is a wonderful list! Sometimes we get so busy in life that we forget it's those little things that will help our children feel loved and valued!

Sheri said...

Needed this!! Thanks!

carolyne b said...

Thanks Yvonne,what a wonderful post. So many times we think our kids know that we love them. After all we do lots for them, but to take the time to give extra hugs and praises is great.
I will add another comment. When it is fast and testimony we should (not every month) get up and bare our testimony. Letting our kids, and their friends know that we belive in the Gospel, the things that it has done for us, that we KNOW Jesus Christ is our Elder Brother. That sacrifices were and are being made for and on behalf them. That we KNOW that they have trials and hardships ahead of them and we commend them for taking the higher road, the road less traveled. And for the example they are to their friends and us.

Garden of Egan said...

Lists like this makes me wish I could go back to having a full, noisy house again.
It's now quiet and clean and empty.
And
I.Don't.Like.IT!

aubrey said...

oh! what a fantastic list of things i need to remember and do every day with my kids. thank you for this..i love any and all advice you can give me!