Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Family



Then there's this guy--he sure is growing. I get to iChat with him once in awhile and that's great.
When you have grandkids that are that cute, of course, you want to be able to spend more time with them. I sure wish I could see them more often.

The other day one of my sisters sent me a message on our family website and asked me why my kids were never on. I realized I never invited any of them and then I wondered, "Who would I invite?" We have lived out of the U.S. and away from California for so long that the majority of my children do not know my sisters. That is so sad. I think Kyle has met them maybe twice. My family is very different from Allan's family. It's funny--I can be critical of them sometimes. I have a sister who has struggled with an addiction that has basically cost her her house. I get mad at her about it, but no one else better say anything negative about her. After all she is my sister and I love her and will always love her. I may not like the choices she has made but I still love her.

I understand that none of them have the money to come and see me (and they don't have passports), so I need to make more of an effort to see them.

When I talk to them on the phone and they have a family gathering, I'm sad that I'm not there. Unfortunately they don't get together as often as they used to. I remember when Stephen was a baby and we all got together just about every weekend to play cards and have fun. It was so fun to be there with them back in June and to spend a couple of nights at my sister Linda's. We had so much fun. I miss those days.

Like I mentioned at the start of this post,I think about how I don't get to see my kids/grandkids as often as I would like. Allan and I were saying the other night how no one really wants to travel to Winnipeg. I've heard a few times--"it's so cold there." Well, I have to laugh because it is only cold a few months out of the year, but somehow that seems to work for them. Then again maybe because we travel to see them occasionally, they don't feel a need to head this direction. (And I don't blame any of them for not wanting to be here at Christmas--it is very cold ; )

Aside from my having a chance to see them, there is nothing that makes me happier than when they get together. Neal was recently in Utah and had a chance to see Heidi, Brent, and my granddaughter, Kiah. I'm glad. It would have been nice if it had been this weekend because then Allan would have a chance to see them, but at least he will have time with Heidi, Brent, and Kiah. They will all go to Conference together.

Sidenote #1: Spanish class is going well. Because it has been so long since I've been to meetings other than Church, it felt weird to start a class without a prayer ; )

Sidenote #2: I found a cute pattern for a baby blanket for the new baby and I think I found some yarn that I really like.

Sidenote #3: Elder Rob is doing GREAT.





9 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful kids!!!! Isn't grammahood the best?

Glad Elder Rob is doing well. I'm still keeping my eyes out for him.

ShEiLa said...

It's hard when the grand-kids and kids are far away. I know my buddies are all tired of the complaints when I don't get to see my grand-girls as often as I like. Being far away is hard. Yvette and Jordan are in Logan... but soon my oldest Celestial may be moving to Woddburn, OR for a promotion/job transfer... that may be tough but I am so excited for her and wish her the very best.

ToOdLeS.

brown paper packages said...

I know what being far away from family is like, and it is hard. :(

Glad Elder Rob is doing well...

Connie said...

It seems our family changes so much over the years and we miss how it used to be.

That is one cute grandson! Glad your missionary is doing well.

Yvonne said...

Garden of Eden: Yes it is. I feel very blessed.

I'm glad to know you are there.

Sheila: Yeah, it's hard when we don't get to see them. I'm grateful for memories and pics.

How exciting for Celestial.

Brown paper packages: Yes, it is hard.

Thanks. I'm glad he's doing well, too.

Connie: It is always fun when we get together though.

Thanks. I'm glad, too.

Sheri said...

Family dynamics are always interesting! I have been blessed so far to live close to family except when we were in Texas and it is great and sometimes hard!! Your grandson is sure a cutie!! Glad your Elder is doing so well, my nephews companion (in Taiwan) told him his voice sounded like a mix between Tom Cruise and Spencer W. Kimball ?! Funny, not sure how that one came together!!

Natalie said...

You have a very handsome grandson. Family is the best.

Elder Rob is so handsome too. Glad he's doing well. One of my sons live in Boise.

Waiting patiently for Dec. We will definitely have to go have lunch together. :)

Valerie said...

Max has always wanted to go back to Winnipeg and revisit his mission, but we've never made the trip. It's now been 23 years since he returned and I wonder if we'll ever go.

I echo what Connie said...

Nancy Face said...

I feel kind of guilty because my extended family doesn't get together very often, and I don't even mind. Maybe because none of my siblings ever host such gatherings - just me - and it would be so nice if they would take a turn now and then!