Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Take Your Best Guess

The other morning I got up and Allan had left a section of the newspaper for me. I looked at it and wondered what article he wanted me to read. There were 4 to pick from:
  • "You gonna be okay, man?" An article about binge drinking
  • An article on Breast cancer and mammograms--I thought maybe he had noticed the messages I had been getting about it's time again for my mamogram???
  • "Last-minute advice about running a marathon"
  • An article about a "hottie hubby"--I know he's hot but I didn't know he thought he was ; )
I wondered? And which one do YOU THINK he wanted me to read?

Yes, it was the one about running a marathon. And I thought he either thinks I'm in better shape than I am or HE'S TRYING TO KILL ME ; ) No, at this point in time there is no marathon in my future. I had talked about a half-marathon, but that will have to wait until next year--perhaps the Spring. BTW, I have decided the on-line running class is not for me.

I have been slowly getting back to running--after my two week illness the beginning of August. It seemed to take a long time to get back into it. I guess that has gotten me thinking about some of the lessons I've learned from running:
  • Perseverance: When I first started a little over a year ago, I didn't think I'd ever be able to run for more than a minute or two. I still don't have great endurance, but that's okay. It has really paid off to "just keep running".
  • You don't quit just because of a little pain: This came at me full force the other day. The first 15 minutes of my run I was miserable. My back was killing me, but I decided to just run through it. And then it started to get better. It was a great run that really had me thinking that it's like life--sometimes we just have to keep going and it will get better.
  • The feeling of accomplishment: Some days when I go out in my car after running and drive to where I ran, I think WOW, I really ran a long way. And that just makes me smile. It's nice to sit back and think about the things we accomplish--even the little things.
  • There is such beauty in the world: I love as I run along and see all the different colors of the trees, the flowers, etc. (I do have to admit I don't like the canker worms, but at least they are not on the trees all year) The other day when I was out running, I came up upon 2 deer at 3 different spots along the run. Each set was a mom and her baby. They were so sweet. I was so afraid I was going to scare them and they would take off into oncoming traffic so I had to either slow or come to a complete stop and wait until they ran back in the woods or I would run into the street to keep them from going that direction.
  • There are all kinds of people in the world: This morning I had a weird experience. I had passed the half-way point and had started back toward home when a guy riding by on a bike starts talking to me, "The toilet paper at McDonald's is like sandpaper." I said, "Oh?" He added, "Yeah, my butt's bleeding." At that point I put my earphones back in and kept running.
  • Attitude truly is everything: Quite often I have to push myself to get out there and run. But I know one thing--doing it is good for me. Some days when I am out running, I feel pretty old, but I know by doing this I'm taking better care of myself. I saw this somewhere and loved it, "a recent 2010 study by the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research showed that, overall, people aged 70 and older who had a positive mental attitude about aging and who were physically active reported feeling much younger than their years. Conversely, those who had a more negative attitude about getting older tended to be less active; and reported feeling at least their age, if not older; and reporting more health problems than the younger group did." That's very true--I don't feel too old until I look in the mirror ; )
And speaking of the beauty in this world--A few days ago when I saw this tree, I had to go back and get my camera to get a picture of it. It is always one of my favorites and this year has not been any different. It always makes me smile when I see it.






13 comments:

Cherie said...

OK that comment from that guy is SUPER WEIRD - I am glad he didn't follow you!
I love your great attitude Yvonne!
I've always told my kids "No pain, no gain!" but sometimes I don't take that advice for myself - Your "You don't quit just because of a little pain" is the same type of thing. No one wants to be a quitter. I'm glad your run turned out great once you pushed it!
I think it is neat that your husband is so supportive of you and your running and that he is sure you could run a Marathon!!
Super Star!!!!

P.S. That tree is gorgeous - I'm waiting...we are having indian summer - ugh!

Connie said...

The fact that Alan wanted you to read the article on running a marthon, shows what kind of a woman he thinks you are!
It's so easy to quit right in the middle or even at the first of a run. Running isn't as enjoyable for me as I wish it were. But I still feel good when I'm done.

I have a 6K at Thanksgiving Point next Saturday. The sponsors wanted to add an extra K so we could enjoy the gardens! Like I'm going to stop and smell the flowers or even notice them when I'm dying!

I'm sure glad that guy shared the tidbit of info. Maybe if I have to use the bathroom, I'll venture over to Burger King.

glittersmama said...

I'm thinking you might needto change up your route a little bit.

I so admire you for sticking with running. Running is really hard for me, so I don't do it. You are an inspiration to me.

Lana said...

what a weirdo!

I am so impressed with your running!

Klin said...

That McDonald's story made me laugh out loud like I'd just heard it for the first time (I've read it about 235 times to people today and laughed every single time) I need therapy.

Gorgeous tree!

JustRandi said...

Oh, I so love that tree!!

And I'm with you on the reconditioning thing. It always seems like it takes so much longer to get your conditioning back than it would have to just keep it. (not that you could when you're sick, but sometimes I just get lazy and quit for a week.)

I'm pretty sure there's a gospel lesson in there...

ShEiLa said...

There are lots of weirdos in the world... seems so strange for a stranger to talk about that. Glad you had an earphone escape.

I am so proud that you could push and run through the pain. Good for you.

I think it was a super cute gesture that Allan left the article out for you. I imagine that he is so fond of you he thinks you could do anything.

I didn't realize you were sick for a couple weeks. I hope you continue to get your energy back.

Hugs to YOU!

ToOdLeS.

Carrot Jello said...

Wow. I love the trees!
I was going to say the hottie husband one.

Sheri said...

Thank you as always for the inspiration... I just need to start!! Love the picture!

Nancy Face said...

Ewww...McDonald's Toilet Paper Dude is SICKNAST!

Gorgeous tree! :)

I've had a flu bug the last couple days so I couldn't go running. I feel like a slug!

Corrine said...

beautiful post, and amazing tree. glad you keep running,kind of what life is all about, getting up and going!

Heffalump said...

Sometimes I miss being a runner. I admire your perseverance in being one now.

Valerie said...

I have never been into running, but lately I've been thinking about it. That's probably all I'll do too. ;) I think it's great that you're doing so well with it!

I'm wondering what that article about "hottie husband" was about...