Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Where's Allan's Birthday Post???

Last week my husband's birthday came and went AND I DIDN'T DO A POST. Actually I have two posts in my draft folder, but I realized they were very similar to posts from the last two years. Allan rarely reads my blog, but I'm sure my children who read my blog were wondering what was going on (maybe they thought we weren't getting along ; ) Yeah, right!!!!

I did make a little birthday slideshow which was fun putting together. I included this picture of us which is one of my favorites because it seems to capture us.

Because I don't want to do repetitive posts, I'm going to take a little different approach and talk about why I'm jealous of him ; ) Seriously, if you know me, you know Allan and I have NEVER been jealous of each other--we are one another's biggest fans.

But I do wish I was more like him. Here are a few of the qualities I wish would rub off on me:

1. His organization skills: Quite often I laugh because if you go into Allan's office and move his stapler--even if it's just an inch to the left or right, when he comes home and you stand in his office and are talking to him, he'll subtly move the stapler back to where it "should be".

I have been spending the last couple of days organizing--something I do quite often. When I can't find something IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. He doesn't have to spend time organizing because he just keeps on top of things and stays organized.

2. His weight doesn't fluctuate: As I've been thinking about packing for our upcoming trip to Banff, one of my biggest problems is I have to constantly ask myself--"BEFOE I PACK THIS I BETTER MAKE SURE THAT IT IS GOING TO FIT???"

3. His ability to fall asleep: I always jokingly say I'm his sleeping pill. All he has to do is climb into bed, put his head on the pillow and have me start talking and immediately--SNORE!!! Oh, if only I could do that, I would love it. I fall asleep and then an hour or so later am WIDE AWAKE.

4. His ability to always smile: Yes, that has been my one-word resolution for this year, but I have to work at it. He doesn't--for him it's just NATURAL.

And if you're going to talk about his ability to smile, you have to talk about his ability to make other's smile--

5. His ability to retain what he reads or hears: I love to study with him because he knows so much and shares so much. But I have to admit I really wish I could remember things the way he does. It truly is a gift.

6. His confidence: He is amazing and I guess that's why he's so confident. I always think of the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants: "Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distill upon thy soul as the dews from heaven."

I always wonder how he does what he does--I guess that scripture answers it, doesn't it ; )

7. His children LOVE him: Let me be very clear--there's not much that makes me happier than that. They all have such a special relationship with him. He is the best dad. Each week he e-mails a letter to all of the kids. They include everything he has done that week along with his thoughts. They are wonderful. As well, the e-mails that he and Elder Rob exchange are so sweet to read. The love and respect they have for one another is incredible.

8. Everybody loves him: Shortly before we were married I was over at our SP's house and we were visiting. Allan was his counselor and Dennis asked me, "How are you going to handle the fact that everyone loves Allan?" I could not understand how that could ever be a problem because I loved him, too. He's such a good guy--WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE ; )

Sidenote #1: A couple of weeks ago our dear friends, the C's, celebrated their 50th anniversary. They had a celebration in Utah and Allan and I really wanted to attend, but we couldn't--it was the weekend after I got home from California. I received an e-mail from her the other day. She wrote that everything was wonderful "and it seemed like we were in heaven visiting with all of our dear friends...Wish you could have been there." I laughed and thought, "Goodness, I hope those words don't come out of her mouth when she really is in heaven greeting old friends" Sure hope I'm there, too.

Sidenote #2: UPDATE ON ELDER ROB:

He's doing great. He had a baptism a little over a week ago. He performed the baptism and said "IT WAS THE BEST DAY EVER".





16 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

I love that post!!!!
It looks like Elder Rob might me in the wheat fields west of his area I was raised!!!!!

I keep hoping to see him hit my neck of the woods.

Neal said...

Great post

ShEiLa said...

Allan does have a great smile.

Also I love that photo of you two.

Tony is like Allan on #2. More like YOU on #3. Tony is definitely like Allan on #5 but could use a little bit more of Allan's strength #6. #7 is true for Tony too.

Great post Yvonne!!!

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

Happy Birthday a little late to your husband!

Natalie said...

Happy late Birthday to Allan.

Loved your post and all the comments.

Elder Rob sure is a handsome
missionary. Takes after her Dad.

Great picture of the 2 of you. I love it.

brown paper packages said...

This was the perfect birthday post! Happy Birthday, Allan!

Heidi said...

Awesome mom!!! You have a TON OF AWESOME QUALITIES TOO!!! You are soooooo loving and nurturing to others! You are always thinking of others, especially your family and constantly pray for them and let them know how much you love them! You sure have ALWAYS been there for me!!! You have AWESOME FAITH!!!! You always stay strong and true and encourage others to do so because you know and love the Lord and I am sooooo grateful for your example in that! You love the gospel and the scriptures and have such a strong testimony and it is a light to all around you! That is just a few---YOU ARE AMAZING MOM and everyone loves you and daddy is sooooo blessed to have you and so am I:)

Klin said...

Happy Birthday Allan!!!!

Yvonne you are still one of my heroes and mentors. You give me a good example to strive to be like.

Thank you for being my online and meet up when traveling friend. I cherish you.

Connie said...

What a great post! Happy Birthday to Allan! He must be quite a guy! Great pictures!

Glad you're updating us on your Elder!

Sheri said...

I have to say that after reading about all of Allan's wonderful qualities (a few I got to witness myself!) I think more than ever that you two are the perfect match!!

Suzanne said...

What a great post, Yvonne! I'm sure you feel lucky to have him. And I know he is lucky to have you too!!! :)

utmommy said...

Happy Birthday to Allan!

Super Happy Girl said...

So sweet :)

Happy Birthday to your awesome man!

Valerie said...

It's obvious how much you love and adore Allan! He sounds like such a wonderful guy!
LOVE the picture of the two of you together!!

Nancy Face said...

Everybody loves Kris Face too! He is a much nicer person than I am...srsly!

Cherie said...

What a great post. I'm glad I scrolled down to see what I missed!
Your husband sounds like such a good good man - You are lucky to have each other! I love his smile :-D
Yayyyy for Elder Rob!!!!