Tuesday, October 5, 2010

General Conference

Every Conference, Stephanie, at Diapers and Divinity, does a General Conference Book Club. To join the club, go here. Each week she has the participants read a particular talk and then write about it. Sometimes I start and then don't complete it. I'm hoping to do better during the next six months.

As part of the book club, she posted a little meme. But before I get to the questions, I have to say, I love Conference. I go to our Stake Center to watch because if I watch it on the internet at home, I can get distracted. Every Conference and new temples are announced I wait and hope. I just know one day they will announce a temple in Winnipeg. Six hours to the temple is not a long drive except in the middle of winter (and our winters seem to last a long, long time)

Here are the questions and my answers:

1. Who were your three favorite speakers?

I don't think I could come up with three favorite speakers, but I would have to say I was so moved by Elder Holland's words. I am always touched when President Uchtdorf speaks. I have never heard Elder Gong, but when he talked about being sealed in two different directions, I was reminded of an e-mail I received this week from a dear friend who just lost her brother in a tragic drowning incident. She wrote: " I am so grateful to know he was sealed to his family in every direction. I know he is figuring out more of the plan as he is introduced to the spirit world and gets to work."

2. Favorite talk?

Because when I first did this, I did it wrong, I'm going to give you my three favorite talks:

I loved Elder Scott's talk--I loved when he said, "Don't be discouraged. You're making better progress than you think."

President Monson's talk on gratitude reminded me that I need to recognize all of my blessings and express greater gratitude--it really touched my heart.

President Uchtdorf's talk on pride in the Priesthood session was incredible.

3. Favorite hymn sung during Conference?

I really liked the family choir on Saturday afternoon. I don't remember any particular song they sang, but I just loved it.

4. Who wore the best tie?

President Uchtdorf's tie was very nice. And I liked Elder Duncan's yellow tie.

5. Do you think conference had a “theme”?

I heard several things. Get back to the basics, seek for the Spirit, follow the Prophet, and the importance of families.

6. Share a few of your favorite quotes (paraphrasing is fine).

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"--President Uchtdorf quoting Leonardo DaVinci

"If we do not teach our children, the world will."--Sister Wixon

"We can give our children both roots and wings"--Elder Gerrit Gong

"Praying, studying, gathering, worshiping, serving and obeying are not isolated and indpendent items on a lengthy gospel checklist of things to do. Rather each of these righteous practices is an important element in a a spiritual quest to fulfill the mandate to receive the Holy Ghost."--Elder Bednar

Yes, I know I don't hold the Priesthood, but Allan was telling me how wonderful Pres. Uchtdorf's talk was so I had to listen to it, and I'm so glad I did. He talked about pride and said, "We don't need to think less of ourselves, but rather less ABOUT ourselves."

7. Something that made you smile during conference.

President Uchtdorf's comment--"At this point, some of you may be thinking that's all very fine and good but what does it have to do with flying an airplane"

8. Any evidence that your children paid attention?

My e-mail from Elder Rob today where he quoted many of the talks. (I LOVED IT)

9. If you had to give a talk in General Conference (don’t faint, this is hypothetical), what do you think you’d speak about?

I would want to talk about Gods love for us and that He is mindful of us.

10. What are some of your post-conference goals?
  • I'm going to give thanks every day--look for what I do have and not what I don't.
  • Strive to follow Elder Bednar's counsel for receiving the Holy Ghost to a greater extent
  • Follow the Prophet (I loved President Eyring's experience with paying off their mortgage (oh, to follow with that kind of faith)
  • Slow down and focus on the things that matter most
  • Remember what Elder Lawrence said about my role as a parent to warn my children and help them. (I loved the analogy of the daughter on the train track and you hear an oncoming train--would you warn her, or would you worry, "What if she is offended?"
  • Prepare now for the mission my husband and I are going to serve in the next few years.
  • Keep up with this Book Club and study these talks for the next six months.



13 comments:

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

These are great, Yvonne. Thanks for participating in the meme!

Sheri said...

I was way to distracted this go around, so am looking forward to receiving the Ensign and taking quiet time to study! THanks for sharing your thoughts, I think I will join the club!!

ShEiLa said...

This is an awesome post!

Unfortunately I didn't rate the ties. I always think the brethren are quite conservative in dress. I am almost sure there were no big yellow ties with Smiley Faces... although it would be cute if President Monson got himself a warm fuzzy tie. (to go with his warm fuzzy story- not this conference)

When President Monson got up and said that his one assignment was to be advisor to the Tabernacle choir. I chuckled when President Monson talked about his Mother wishing he had stuck with the piano. I loved his demeanor before his comments... he could hardly control his emotions. So sincere and he certainly has a soft spot for widows.

...each person has much for which to be grateful "if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings." -Pres Monson

I do look forward the Conference Issue of the Ensign... I retain the information better and I love being reminded of what I listened to.

I love all of your answers.

ToOdLeS.

brown paper packages said...

What a great idea!!! I loved all your answers...and this whole post!

Connie said...

Great recap of conference! I too loved every minute of it. I was in the conference center when the family choir performed. They did an awesome job!

I have some goals to reach since listening to the conference. Oh, how I love conference!

Heffalump said...

I have a goal to listen to one conference talk from this conference each Sunday for the next six months. I'll start with Talks by the First Presidency and the Apostles and then choose from there when I run out. There were a lot of great talks this time (of course there always are...)

My Heart Squared said...

One of my MOST favorite things to do is to read the Priesthood Session - FIRST!!! Now, it comes at us almost overnight so we don't have to wait for the Ensign!! I am glad that I'm not to only one!!

Cherie said...

That is so fun - I will have to check it out.
I also loved Pres. Uchtdorfs comments about the airplane - ha ha. Is it just me or do these guys just get funnier every year!

Valerie said...

We loved Pres. UChtdorf's tie too! And my favorite moment was when Pres. Monson started singing as he talked about taking piano lessons as a child.

Since I missed most of Saturday's sessions, I'm definitely going to have to go back and watch them.

Nancy Face said...

#1 - I was also very moved by Elder Holland's words. But then I told Zach not to expect the same thing from HIS parents! ;)

#7 - President Uchtdorf was SOOO funny when he said that! :D

JustRandi said...

I think about Steph's book club now and then and wish I were disciplined enough to do it.
Maybe this time...

Corrine said...

i really loved conference! I was totally struck as well by pres. Monson's talk on gratitude! I too need to find more ways to give my wrapped gifts...

thanks for sharing that!

mindyluwho said...

I loved Elder Lawrence's talk. I kept looking at my kids during that one to make sure they were listening!

Loved your insights!