Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gratitude for Doctors and Nurses

Each day as I do these gratitude posts, they are triggered by something that is happening--the other day I went to the doctor for a physical, and that was a reminder how grateful I am for doctors. I appreciate the time and effort they put in to earning their degrees. I have been fortunate to have had some great doctors in my life. I do not remember when I was born, but I'm pretty sure a doctor was involved ; ) But when I was a little girl, I fell down the stairs going to our garage with a jug of kool aid (probably was being chased by one of my MEAN sisters ; ) When I fell the glass went deep into my wrist. After all these years I can still feel my mom squeezing the dishtowel around my wrist trying to keep it from bleeding. I have a massive scar on my left wrist, but I will forever be grateful to those doctors. I just remember being told that I almost lost my arm.

I have not had any other major health issues, but a few babies and I'm so grateful for those doctors who were there to deliver my babies, especially Richard who delivered Brent. That was definitely a spiritual experience.

When I was in the hospital for two months with dehydration when I was pregnant with Kyle, I was so grateful for caring nurses. I can only imagine what it would be like to be a nurse.

I do have to laugh about my appointment last week. When I was getting my EKG, the young lady who was doing it (and I don't know if she was a nurse or an EKG tech) put the leads on and told me to close my eyes and lie still. After a minute or so, she said, "Okay, I'm going to do that again. Now, I want you to just relax." I thought, I am relaxed??? When it was done she said, I'm going to go get the doctor, I'll be right back. Now I'm thinking, WHAT'S WRONG????? I FEEL FINE. Apparently she just didn't have the leads in the right places.











8 comments:

Neal said...

"I'm going to go get the doctor" ... probably the worst thing you could hear at that point ; )

ShEiLa said...

I am so thankful for doctors and nurses too... as I have used them alot more than you it sounds like. I wish I was more like you. Until my asthma diagnosis and whatever is up now... I didn't use them much either.

That wrist injury sounded pretty grumsome for a little girl. That would be etched in my mind too.

I was always extra grateful for those that were trained when it came to labor and delivery... I can't imagine being a pioneer woman or having a baby at home.
Even though I never had an epidural I always thought having a back-up plan in the event of an emergency would be best.

ToOdLeS.

Jess said...

I love reading all your posts. Sorry I haven't commented lately but you are an amazing example of someone who has gratitude. I am glad that you have had good health care experiences because most doctors and nurses I know don't got into it for the money but for the love of helping people!!! Well at least I did.

Cherie said...

That is funny about that last EKG tech - Way to prevent a heart attack! Ha Ha
I too am grateful for doctors and nurses. We very much take for granted that if we get sick or have an emergency we can go to the doctors office.
My doctor just retired and sent us all a note that she would not be practicing anymore. I am SOOOO sad. I have to find a new Dr. now. That is hard.

Natalie said...

I am grateful for doctors and nurses too.

Unfortunately, unlike you, I have tried out doctors and hospitals in most places that I have been to or lived in.

I hope to be up and blogging soon.

Connie said...

Did it show that you flat lined? No wonder she had to go get the doctor!

Love all your gratitude posts! All I can say is, "Amen!"

Amber said...

I am grateful for doctors, too. Many of them have literally saved my-and my baby's-lives.

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

I spent several hours at the children's hospital today. I agree; I'm grateful.