Friday, October 15, 2010

Gratitude for Music


I love music. The other day I was practicing the piano, and sometimes when I practice I try to sing the hymns. For the life of me I couldn't hit a C. And when I can hear that I'm that off I KNOW I'M REALLY OFF. Well, on my piano is a picture of my MIL and FIL. I looked at my MIL and said, "Why aren't you here to help me?" Then I started to cry. And I had to ask myself, why didn't I try to get her to help me when she was alive?

And as I sit here writing this, I need to remind myself of President Monson's talk from Conference that motivated this month of gratitude "The Divine Gift of Gratitude". I want to focus on what I have not what I don't.

I miss hearing my little elder playing the piano, but at least I still have his little video clip from his farewell. As well, he sent me one with him playing in the MTC. When I told him about my resolve to practice 30 minutes a day, he told me to keep practicing. I'm sure he laughed when I told him, "It's amazing what a difference practice makes!!!!"

I still am not ready to play in Church. But at least I have 2 hymns that I can pretty much play. I have about 5 more that I'm working on. It feels really good to sit down and play.

I think music really does soothe the soul.

And when I'm running, I'm grateful for the songs on my iPod. I still laugh at some that come on--I think of my friend, randi, whenever I hear "All the Single Ladies"; I love the Black Eyed Peas and when their songs come on and I run by people they probably think I'm nuts because I do have a tendency to sing along; and Viva La Vida always makes me smile because I think of my little Elder.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

I am grateful for all of the things that you are grateful for. I loved reading your posts and catching up. I love how you put in the G.A.'s words to emphasize what you have written.

Little Georgia is adorable.

Corrine said...

i too love music, it sure can affect moods.

ShEiLa said...

I don't know what would replace the music that is always in my head... everything reminds me of a song. I too am grateful for music.

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

Music really does create mood and bring emotions.
I think being able to play the piano is a beautiful gift.
Keep practicing!

Heffalump said...

Sometimes music is the only thing that feels comforting to me. It has always been a great outlet, even if it just to turn it up and sing my guts out.
I should really start working on my piano. I haven't really taken much in the way of lessons, but I can plunk things out enough to eventually learn them. It's something I am always thinking about doing, and I need to just go ahead and start practicing!

Sheri said...

I too am so grateful for and LOVE music! I think I have mentioned that I wishe life were a musical!!:) Good for you with the piano practicing... I really miss mine!!

Valerie said...

I concur 100% with everything you said here!!!
Music is my testimony, my relaxation, my heart, my energy... EVERYTHING to me!!
I have made a resolve to practice more each day as well! 1/2 hour? Maybe!

brown paper packages said...

I can't imagine my life without music. I've played the piano since I was 4, and can't remember the time when I didn't.

It's a part of me.

Nancy Face said...

Music is sooo important to me!!!