Saturday, October 23, 2010

Gratitude for My Husband


Twenty-eight years ago today Allan and I were married. I'm so grateful we have this day to celebrate, but we really won't be celebrating because IT IS STAKE CONFERENCE.. (We went to the movies last night to see "Red"--funny movie.) He truly is the love of my life, my knight in shining armor, my prince charming. I am a very blessed woman.

I will never forget the day he called me to ask me out on our first date--July 24, 1982. Pizza and a movie--Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan. Neal and Stephen went with us. Such a great night. And the next 3 months were wonderful, and then on October 23, 1982, when we entered the Oakland Temple and were married for time and all eternity and had Stephen sealed to us--it was AMAZING. When I spoke at Elder Rob's farewell on the subject "How did I help him prepare for his mission", at the end of my talk I said, "The first thing I did to help him prepare for his mission was marry his dad in the right place and at the right time. That is a decision I have never regretted."

Our journey has been like many of yours--several bumps along the road, but I'm so glad he's right there beside me--through the good times and especially through the bad. He is my rock to lean on--he has always right there to help me know it will all be okay.

Now, let me add, marriage is work--lots of work. It's a sacrifice. But IT IS SO WORTH IT. I'm so grateful that I know that we have the opportunity to be together forever. As we get older, that even becomes more important to me. Death will not separate us--and that is such an incredible blessing.

Last year I did a post of 27 wonderful memories from our years together--still one of my favorite posts. As I re-read it, I realize we have had a great 28 years especially when I think of the things that have happened this past year:

Adjusting to life as empty nesters That has truly been an adjustment, but seriously he handles change so much better than me, so it's wonderful to share that kind of experience with him. He helps me through everything. We love being together, but we both sure miss having our kids around.

His starting his new job with that company that wears the brown shorts--the freight Division not the packaging one: I'm so grateful for his positive attitude. This has been a big change for him, but he handles everything with a smile.

Heidi and Elder Rob going to the temple: Such a fabulous day. The kind of day that parents LOVE. We were both so proud, (thank you Pres. Uchtdorf for your talk on pride) It was great to have Brent with us, too.

Taking Elder Rob to the MTC: Such a wonderful memory--both the getting him ready and taking him. I know Allan loved every minute of it. Their e-mails are so fun to read. I just laugh at Elder Rob's salutations to his dad: "Tank", "Pops", "Dad".

Being apart for 4 1/2 weeks while I was in California: When I left for California, my plan was to be gone a little over 2 weeks, well it ended up being 4 1/2 weeks. It's not very often that I'm gone and he's home alone, and we have NEVER been apart that long. I didn't like it and neither did he. Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVED SPENDING TIME WITH MY KIDS AND SEEING THE BABY, it just would have been more fun if we were there together. But again, I'm grateful for cell phones, e-mail, texting, and iChat's.

I'd like to think we will have another 28 years, but one thing is for sure WE ARE GOING TO MAKE EACH AND EVERY MOMENT COUNT.





11 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Happy, happy Anniversary! ♥♥♥

Carrot Jello said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

Natalie said...

Congratulations and wishing you a Happy, happy anniversary with a great year to come.

Sheri said...

Love it!! I wish you both many more wonderful years together!!

Amber said...

Happy Anniversary and here's to many more wonderful years to come.

I really loved this post, Yvonne. So sweet and so true.

Cherie said...

Happy Anniversary!! You are a beautiful couple with a very blessed life!!
I think I've told you before that my husband and I were also married at the Oakland Temple (2 years after you so I especially love seeing your pictures - and the city behind you :-D
Marriage is alot of work but it is also happiness and bliss and being with the love of your life. You two are a wonderful example :-D

brown paper packages said...

Happy Anniversary to you!!

JustRandi said...

I love poss like these!! Congratulations to you both!

Klin said...

Happy Anniversary!! I loved reading this love story. Inspiring.

Connie said...

Happy Anniversary, Yvonne! This is a beautiful post! Love the pictures of your wedding day!

Valerie said...

Happy Anniversary!! You are a great example of love and what a marriage should be! Here's to 28 more years!!!