Saturday, October 16, 2010

Gratitude for Parents


I have written many times about my parents. (That's the only picture I have of me as a baby ; ) I don't like to think about how different my life might have been if they hadn't died when I was a teenager. (That's a waste of time--or at least that's what I tell myself when I start thinking like that) I'm grateful for genealogy and the things I'm learning as I do family research. I don't know if I told you but I have a cousin who told me she connected with a cousin who says her great grandfather, who would be one of my great uncles, told her we are related to Ponce de Leon. (Now don't write me and ask if I have any connections to the fountain of youth--JUST LOOK AT ME TODAY AND YOU'LL KNOW I HAVE NO CONNECTION AT ALL : )

Anyway, I am very grateful I had least had an opportunity to be with my parents for some time--at least I knew them and have memories. Actually, as the SF Giants get ready to play in the NLCS this weekend, my heart goes back to the one game I went to at Candlestick Park with my dad. It was so fun. I'm sure I will be a Giants fan until the day I die because my dad was ; ) I also will always tip a waitress a little extra, because my mom was a waitress.

Now my parents didn't teach me the principles of the Gospel, but they were such good people. They worked hard and loved us. And I'm sure it was their influence that allowed my heart to be open when I heard the message of the Gospel.

After they died and we went to live with Helen and Les. No girls could have had better people to raise them. They loved us like their own children. I don't think I will ever meet anyone who would do what they did--take in 6 girls ranging in age from 9 - 18--girls they really didn't even know. I will love them FOREVER for what they did for me and my sisters. We were able to stay together AND THAT WAS SUCH A GREAT BLESSING.

When I married Allan I became a "daughter" to Allan's parents. They were wonderful. I learned so much from them. I miss seeing Allan interact with his mom and dad. He loved them so much. I learned a lot from watching him and from watching them. They never really interfered in our lives, but they were always there to love us.

It's amazing how after all these years I still miss my folks, I miss Helen and Les, and I miss Allan's parents. I'm so grateful for the wonderful memories I have. I will forever be grateful for the trip we took to Hawaii to celebrate Allan's moms 90th birthday. Here's a picture of the WHOLE FAMILY

I am grateful for the knowledge that although they are gone I will see them again. Because of the ordinances of the temple, I have been sealed to my parents. As well, Allan has been sealed to his. We have been sealed to each other and our children have been sealed to us. As well, many of our children have been sealed and their children sealed to them. I love the way Elder Gong explained it at Conference:"In temple mirrors of eternity, I began to understand my wife and myself as children of our parents and parents to our children, as grandchildren of our grandparents and grandparents to our grandchildren. Mortality’s great lessons distill upon our souls as we learn and teach in eternal roles, including child and parent, parent and child."


12 comments:

Cherie said...

Yvonne I don't think I knew this whole story about you. How life altering to lose both your parents while you are young and how wonderful are Helen and Les to take in 6 girls - I bet they felt so blessed too!
You never know how things work but I am so glad you found the Gospel. Did your sisters also join the church?
You are also so blessed to have married into a wonderful family - that picture at the end from Hawaii is a treasure :-D

Heffalump said...

I still have my parents, but I sure miss my Dad's Mother. She died when I was 14, and even though 23 years have passed, I still miss her SO much, and think of her often. She really influenced my life a lot.

Valerie said...

Every time you write about Helen and Les I tear up. They are such a wonderful example of Christlike service!
And I love the picture of your parents! Kind faces and beautiful smiles. You resemble your mother!!!

mindyluwho said...

I've enjoyed catching up and reading your "Gratitude" posts. It's a good reminder to me, my life has been so busy lately that I haven't even had time to think about anything. I try at night to just have my prayers be ones of gratitude though and that helps me make it through another day!

Natalie said...

What a great tribute to some wonderful couples. I think you are so blessed to have had these 3 couples in your life.
I had awesome parents and am so grateful for them too.

ShEiLa said...

Parents are awesome... I miss my Mother so much and I can only imagine how hard it is to have both parents in heaven. I am sure some days you wish you could have a sit down chat with them.

ToOdLeS.

Sheri said...

I think you have your mother's smile!! What a great post... Helen an dLes were definitely Heaven sent - I am glad you had them too, what a hard time that must have been for all of you. I too am grateful for fabulous parents! I know I am blessed, as your children have been with you!!

Deena said...

I loved this post. Your mother was beautiful. Thanks for sharing your special feelings about your family.

Connie said...

You're such a wonderful person. I'm sure having 3 "mothers" who loved you helped to shape your personality. Love all the pictures.

Yvonne said...

Cherie: I know I sent you an e-mail, but I will answer here, too--none of my sisters have joined the Church YET. Helen and Les were remarkable people with a great love for others.

Yes, I have been truly blessed.

Heffalump: It's wonderful to have those influences in our lives.

Valerie: I tear up when I think about them and a little ashamed to know I would never do it. I would be too scared to take in 6 strangers.

Thank you for saying I resemble my mother.

mindylou: Offering prayers of just gratitude is not easy. Way to go.

natalie: It is such a blessing to have great parents.

sheila: I would love, love, love to sit down and visit with my parents.

sheri: Thank you. Yes, Helen and Les were certainly Heaven sent. Having great parents truly is a blessing.

deena: Thank you very much. I truly am grateful for each of these people.

connie: Yes, I think it certainly did.

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

What a lovely post. And isn't amazing how all that tragedy created so many strong bonds in your heart? I'm convinced that our family members who have passed play a much bigger role in our lives than we imagine. Their eternity is so wrapped up in our own; they have a vested interest in how our life turns out.

Nancy Face said...

It is always so touching when you write of your parents and of your adopted parents...such good people. I don't keep in close touch with my in-laws, even though I love them very much. I really need to do better with that.