Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gratitude for Scriptures


This week as I was working on my Sunday School lesson for this Sunday and reading Isaiah, I was struck with how blessed we are to have the scriptures. We are combining two lessons this Sunday and will talk about the Savior. I am so grateful to have a knowledge of Him and the great love He has for each of us. He truly is a God of miracles. I have been struck by the beautiful imagery in Isaiah. We get so caught up with understanding all of it, but if we just read and search our feelings, I think we will be amazed at how much we learn because of what we are feeling.

Several years ago, I made it a point to read each and every Sunday School lesson for four years. I think that was when I developed a great love for the scriptures. I got more out of those 4 years of lessons than I had until then or since then--well, maybe with the exception of the 4 years I taught Seminary.

Whenever I find myself in a funk I am so grateful to find peace in the scriptures. Things are so much clearer as I study and ponder. I love Isaiah 25:8--"He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it."

SIDENOTE: WAY TO GO, GIANTS. Not the prettiest game--lots of errors, but hey, at least the Giants won ; ) Loved hearing Tony Bennett sing during the 7th Inning Stretch and I loved when they showed him singing, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco".





5 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I love the scriptures too... but I really could do better with reading them more... and reading the lesson material each week.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

I too love to read the scriptures. I haven't yet read every lesson but I've thought of it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Heffalump said...

The scriptures are a great comfort during the woes of life.

brown paper packages said...

I really need to do better at reading the lessons each week. It's been a long time since I have, but I appreciate the reminder of what I can learn if I do.

Cherie said...

I feel the same way - I can tell when the scriptures are being read or not in my life. I am grateful for the guidance (although I need a little bit more on Isaiah - always! Ha).
And YES Go Giants!!!