Monday, October 25, 2010

Gratitude to be able to Create

Yes, part of that being able to create is the opportunity to create children. I spoke yesterday in Stake Conference (sure glad that is over) and I spoke about raising children and I started by saying that I love being a Mom, AND I DO ; ) But that will be a gratitude post for another day.

A couple of years ago, President Uchtdorf gave a great talk during the Women's Broadcast. During his message he talked about creating. He said, "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.
Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment."


Some of the things that have brought me "satisfaction and fulfillment" recently:





























Creating a book about our Trek for Pres. B who was released yesterday. I have never done one of these books before but when I received the finished product in the mail, I LOVED IT. The pictures are of the front and the back. I know that it is something that Pres. B will enjoy and that makes me feel so good. Right now I'm kicking myself because I didn't take a picture of him with his book ; ( Allan also gave a copy to Bro. A (the other Trail Boss) and he was happy, too.

I have been working on a baby blanket for my little granddaughter who will be born in January. I love to crochet.

I don't always feel that when I sit at the piano and practice I'm creating beautiful music, but it sure gives me a great sense of satisfaction. I think in another couple of weeks I will start practicing Christmas carols--that will be fun.

I am not a great cook but I do love to "create" a good meal. Yesterday, after Stake Conference, we had the MP and his wife, the TP and his wife, the new counselor and his wife, the old counselor and his wife and 3 children, and the other counselor and his wife. It was so fun. I don't know if it was because I was hungry but the food sure tasted great. I had made a banana split cake and death by chocolate. Yummy. I do not like splitting dinner guests up, so Allan brought in the kitchen table and we made one SUPER LONG table and had all 15 of us together. It was so fun. They really are a great group of people.

SIDENOTE: Hooray to the Giants for winning the NL Pennant. Looking forward to the World Series ; )


10 comments:

ShEiLa said...

It is wonderful to be blessed with creativity from he who created all.

Gratitude for what we can do and what we have been blessed with should never be taken for granted.

ToOdLeS.

Sheri said...

You are great at creating! All the dinners you do, the fun projects you try and most of all you ability to create great relationships and friendships and sustain them!

Lana said...

I want to learn to crochet!
I've been enjoying your gratitude list.

Heffalump said...

Creativity is an awesome gift.
For me, being creative is a good way to feel better emotionally.

Klin said...

Can you create some new knowledge in me. I know what the MP is, but the TP? I'm sure it's not what first came to mind.

I wish I could crochet. That blanket looks beautiful.

Connie said...

What great thoughts! I love Prs. Uchtdorf's talk on creating!
Wow! Good for you, speaking in Stake Conference! You're awesome!

Natalie said...

What a wonderful post. You are so creative and you are also brave for speaking at Stake Conf.

Yesterday I spoke at church about our mission and was so happy that it was in English and not in French. :)

carolyne b said...

Klin I too was wondering TP whats that? But then it hit me...Temple President. As I have only been to the Saskatchewan Temple once I have seen the matron... actully had a long conversation in the dressing room when I went with a dear friend of ours--Roxanne--re: housing in Regina. I loved the B family and they will certainly be missed. I was honored to teach middle child--N in young womans; both when she was a Bee Hive and again as a Mia Maid. Thanks for sharing the photo. I heard conference was awesome. Wish I had been there, but we spent the weekend in Grand Forks doing some shopping.

Cherie said...

I also loved that talk by President Uchtdorf. It is a wonderful thing to have the desire to create and to make and accomplish things with our own two hands.
That trek book you made is really neat. And congrats on getting through a talk in Stake Conference. I think that is a fear of mine - ha ha!

Valerie said...

I love to create things too! Sadly I'm having a brain block right now and I need to come up with a "creation" to do at my craft group next week. *sigh*
Thanks for thinking of these wonderful things we should all be grateful for!