Monday, October 11, 2010

Month of Gratitude


Since today is Canadian Thanksgiving, and with President Monson's words from Conference, deep in my heart, I want to do a month of gratitude posts. I love when President Monson said, "...do we remember to give thanks for the blessings we receive? Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love." I have so much for which I am grateful. Two years ago I participated in a month long gratitude challenge, and it really did help me focus each day on all that I have. I loved when President Monson quoted Greek philosopher Epictetus, “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” So I'm going to spend the next month REJOICING.

A friend of mine posted this quote from John F. Kennedy on her FB status "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." So I want to make sure I do more than just write about--I want to live with a spirit of gratitude, and not for just the next month.

(I will not post on Sundays)

Now these will not be done in any kind of order. I will start with:

GRATITUDE FOR A HEALTHY BODY

I think the human body is a wonder--a miracle. I love that each morning I can get up and get out of bed. (For that simple thing, I am grateful) I love that I can put on my running shoes and go out and have a great run. No, I don't have the ability to run at any great speed (and I will not focus on that), but the fact that I can run and enjoy the beauty of this world is WONDERFUL to me. Yes, I find I huff and puff, but so what. And lately, unfortunately, there have been some muscles that have been showing signs of wear and aren't working as good as they should. This mornings run was pretty good, my foot didn't hurt as much as it has been. I'm just trying to forge ahead. I want to take care of my body. I have been trying to eat better, and it seems to be having a positive effect because I actually feel pretty good ; ) I have a physical in a couple of weeks and we'll see how that goes.

For my Canadian friends, Happy Thanksgiving. For everyone else--Happy Monday ; )

Sidenote #1: I'm curious to hear from my little Elder later today and wonder if he's cooking a turkey today ; ) We are not having a big Thanksgiving dinner--we'll wait and have the missionaries over for U.S. Thanksgiving next month.

Sidenote #2: Allan was out of town for 8 days and it was so great to have him come home on Friday night--even though he was up early the next morning to fly off to Saskatoon for a few hours for SP training. Glad he doesn't have any trips planned in the near future.







10 comments:

Lana said...

happy THanksgiving! It's fun that you get to celebrate it twice :)

ShEiLa said...

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!!! and all who celebrate both holidays and give thanks on a regular basis.

You will have to let us know if your Elder R is cooking a turkey today. Or waiting until US Thanksgiving.

ToOdLeS.

Millie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! What cute turkeys! Did you make those?

I continue to be very grateful for my healthy body as well. There are thousands of people who would love to have the health, strength, etc, that I take for granted every day.

Sheri said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Those cookies sure look yummy!! I too am thankful for a healthy body!

Heffalump said...

We could all certainly use more gratitude!
I am thankful for a healthy body too!

brown paper packages said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! Gratitude is so essential to living a happy life--I also feel blessed for a healthy body.

Cherie said...

First of all I didn't know that in Canada you had Thanksgiving in October (or that you even had Thanksgiving at all). I guess I need to go back to school.
I think the theme of your upcoming posts is going to be great! Can't wait to read them and enjoy.
Hope you missionary is doing great!!

Connie said...

Great gratitude post! I too am grateful for a healthy body! As I age, I realize what a blessing it is to be able to exercise and even move!
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Valerie said...

Has it really been two years since you did your Gratitude posts? Wow!! I still remember them...
I'm excited for you to do this again.
But then again I love ALL your blog posts!

Garden of Egan said...

Those are cute candy turkeys!

I hope I get to see that Elder soon~