Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gratitude for the Chance to be a Mom




I became a mom when I was quite young. I was so nervous. The year I gave birth to Stephen, three of my sisters all had children. Two nieces were born in February, Stephen in May, and then a nephew in September. It was definitely a growing experience for me. I had done a lot of babysitting as a teenager--yeah, back then it was 50 cents an hour ; ) Unfortunately, I didn't babysit many newborns--but I can attest to the fact that you can learn as you go along. I did a lot of reading and had a great pediatrician. (I also had a couple of women I had worked with who were a great help)

When Stephen was a little boy we had a lot of fun together. Unfortunately, being a single mom, I had to go to work when he was 6 weeks old. I was very lucky because he was a great baby. I still remember one of his favorite things to do was go to the zoo. I have a lot of great memories--going to the drive-in to see Star Wars; bribing him (or should I say tricking him) to ride the roller coaster at Great America; field trips; and all of his years in Little League and Soccer. (Being a sports enthusiast I was very involved--especially in Little League.) He was such a trooper and when I was working a second job and then a third one, doing medical transcribing, he used to go with me to the office at night while I did my work. I remember how excited he was when I did my TV commercial and it aired on TV. He had a friend over and said to him, "Oh there's my mom." The friend said, "Yeah, right." And then looked at the TV and looked at me and was shocked!!!!

It was quite an adjustment when I married Allan and instead of being a mom to one became a stepmom to 3 others. I've written about it before, but Allan and I were pretty naive. We thought because we loved each other everyone would get along. Unfortunately, it didn't always work that way. But through some tough times, I think we have come out okay. A few bumps and bruises, but we made it.

With the arrival of each of the little ones, life changed again. When I was pregnant with Heidi I'm sure Neal, Nancy and Wendy all wondered what was wrong with me. I was quite sick, but they were great. (Neal left for BYU a couple of months before Heidi was born. He was such a great big brother and even wrote her notes ; ) I think they were all pretty excited when she was born. I'm so happy that Nancy will be able to come to Utah when Heidi gets married later this month. I know Heidi is so happy to know all of her brothers and sisters (with the exception of Elder Rob) will be there. I think she has forgiven her brother Stephen for putting the creepy mask on her light fixture in her room as well as torturing her with those wacky wall walkers ; )

A couple of years later, we went through it again. By then, Neal was already a dad, so when Brent was born he was an uncle to his nephew Christopher. Heidi loved being a big sister.

By the time Kyle was born all the older kids had left home. Heidi and Brent loved having a little brother. (I guess Heidi wanted a sister, so she took many opportunities to dress him up as a girl ; )

Nancy, Neal and Stephen are all great parents/and believe me Wendy has been a second mom to Nancy's boys. She is always right there to help them whenever they need help.

It is so fun to be part of a big family. I love every chance I have to be together with all of my kids--they are great and it is such a joy to be their mom/stepmom. I doubt I'll get much sleep over the next few weeks because I AM SO EXCITED TO HAVE THE CHANCE TO BE WITH ALL OF THEM. I'm going to enjoy each and every minute. I'm so excited for my daughter, but not as excited as she is ; )






10 comments:

Sheri said...

They are all lucky to have you for their mom!! I remember that was all I ever wanted - just wish I would have been smart enought o prepare better! Maybe with a psychology degree?!;)

Neal said...

Great post - I love hearing about those early days w/ Stephen. I want to hear more about the drive-in Star Wars experience! ; )

ShEiLa said...

Motherhood is a blessing and I am glad that I am a Mom too. I really wish that all women could be Mom's... especially the ones that want to be and cannot have children. It just is so not fair.

You look way gorgeous in that one photo... new baby in arms... I never looked that good.

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

I just can say AMEN AMEN AND AMEN - being a mom is such a special blessing. I love the way you embraced motherhood to 3 stepchildren even though it was not always easy. You are such a special person and I love your excitement to be with your family. I can tell how deeply you love each one.

Heffalump said...

Being a Mom is the best job in the world!

Amber said...

Yvonne--I love this. Every bit of this. It made me teary eyed while I aggressively nodded my head.

I've had many people ask me why I'd want to have more kids given that my pregnancies are awful, I tell them that it's because I love being a mom. It's true--the hardest parts in pregnancy were worth the two treasures I have now.

Lei said...

It's definiteyl difficult blending families, I unfortunately have seen firsthand how poorly things can go since my father has remarried.

Your kids are so, so lucky to have you!

Nancy Face said...

Being a mom is the greatest thing I've ever done! :)

Melissa said...

I'm trying so hard to do this! There are just too many days when I sit back and wonder, "What was I thinking?! I'm not capable of caring for myself, let alone 3 little ones!" It is a learning experience... and hopefully I'll figure out a few things before too long!

I'm not sure if you closed comments on some of your blogs or if it's my weird computer, but I don't see anywhere to post a comment on some of these posts...

Tori said...

Awww... I loved all the old pics!!