Saturday, November 6, 2010

Gratitude for My Testimony

I just realized I have not expressed my gratitude for my testimony.

When I was a little girl my family never went to Church. My parents each were brought up with a different religion. We really didn't talk much about religion. When Stephen was about 17 months old I had to find a new babysitter and was introduced to this wonderful lady named Janice. She had a little boy who was about 5 months old. It was a great fit. She was wonderful with Stephen. I think when we had been going there about a year she invited me to go to a Relief Society meeting on a Wednesday night. I really liked it and started going on a regular basis. After going for pretty close to a year, I started going to Church with her. She knew I needed the Gospel and I appreciate so very much her willingness to invite me. I joined the Church in 1974. This is a picture of Janice and Daryl on the day my little granddaughter was baptized. I know I really appreciate her courage in inviting me because I can honestly say if you looked (and listened to me) back then you would think--"Oh, I don't think SHE will ever listen."

As I look at all that has happened to me during the past 36 years, I'm so grateful that I had the Gospel to help me through it all. I think being able to teach my children that God loves them and is mindful of them is such a great blessing. When I spoke a few weeks ago in Stake Conference, one of the things I said was, "I always look at being a mom as my stewardship. These children are really Heavenly Father’s children that have been sent to my husband and me. When I think in terms of that—it’s much easier for me. When they struggle, and I go to Him in prayer—I know He loves them even more than I do, so He will help me know what I should do and what I should say because He has their best interest at heart. Matthew 18:14 says: “It is not the will of your Father which is in Heaven that one of these little ones should perish.” I can't imagine how hard it would be raising children without a testimony. I have such a strong testimony of prayer and the peace that comes as we pray. I'm grateful that I can repent of my sins and because of Jesus Christ's Atonement I can be forgiven. I love Alma 7:11-12 that reads, "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people,; and he will take upon him their infirmities that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to the infirmities." I know that Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet of God and I am so grateful to know that he truly is God's mouthpiece and helps us know the things God would want us to know at this time. I know that the scriptures are true and am so grateful that I can pick them up whenever I want and read messages that will help me, if I seek for the Spirit to help me apply them.

I do know that i do need to do a better job of sharing my testimony.

Sidenote: In addition--I'm grateful for the extra hour of sleep tonight ; )


12 comments:

Abaker said...

Great post Grandma!

Nancy Face said...

This is wonderful! :)

I'm so impressed you've been posting every day! WOW!

ShEiLa said...

Like you...
I know the whole Motherhood thing is a stewardship. I know that the children I was blessed to raise really aren't mine... I was chosen to help them along the way during their time on earth. I do love being a Mother. (and Grammy)

ToOdLeS.

brown paper packages said...

I hadn't heard how you were introduced to the gospel, so I really enjoyed reading about that.

Love your SC talk...

Natalie said...

Amen to all you have said.

I am so in awe of how wonderful you are!

Connie said...

A testimony is a wonderful thing to be grateful for! Just reading your posts, I wouldn't believe you were anything but gospel oriented!

Sheri said...

Thanks for that post! I need to do a better job of remembering I am a partner with the Lord in raising His children!

Heffalump said...

I love hearing your testimony. You are such a good example to me!

Lana said...

I think you share your testimony all the time, and I knew you were grateful for it. Still what a beautiful post!

Valerie said...

I love hearing how people were introduced to the gospel. My dad is also a convert and was sealed to my mom one month before I was born! I count my blessings that because of their decision, I was able to be raised in the Church.

Melissa said...

I think it's so great that you've stayed close to the people who introduced you to the gospel. What a fantastic bond you must have. I need to remember that it's okay to open my mouth and invite people to activities!

Anonymous said...

Hello viewers, i want to use this little of my testimony to tell everybody about how Dr. Moses help me make my home...
My name is Anna from Australia, to caught it all shot i was having a family problems my husband left me because i was not able to give him a child, i have know other solution than to start sicking for help praying and fasting for God to help me bring back my husband and to have a child of my own, so one day i saw Dr. Moses name on the internet with his email address (thegodsofsolution@gmail.com) when i saw this email address i never loose any hope again, i contacted him for help, to end the story he help me bring back my husband to me under four days and to my greatest surprise he prophesied and said i we have my own child and celebrate with others as a mother, am three months pregnant now and my husband is now with me without any problem, please viewers help me to thank Dr. Moses Iyere for making my home a happy one. Please contact Dr. Moses Iyere at (thegodsofsolution@gmail.com) he is a good man and a prophet, he can help
you in any kind of problems please don't pass this email address if you really want your problems to be solved thanks..