Thursday, December 9, 2010

Learning

I'm going to be 60 years old in a few weeks. It is still so hard for me to believe. I think I am somewhat in denial. (I am excited though because I will fly to Texas and get to meet my newest granddaughter on my birthday ; )

When I was young I mistakingly thought that by the time I got this old, and I guess I should add IF I ever got this old (and believe me, with the family history I had it was A BIG IF), I would have learned everything I needed to know. How silly. I have so much to learn--but this has been a great year for learning lessons.

Here are some of the things I have learned recently:

1) It's fun to get up and get moving. I started running a little over a year ago. I LOVE IT. I haven't done too much in the last few months. That little bout of pneumonia I had really put a damper on things. I'm looking forward to getting out and running again after the new year. After watching Biggest Loser Tuesday night, I REALLY, REALLY want to run a marathon, but I think I need to try the half first. I know there is one on a Sunday in May, but I won't run on Sunday, so I will look for one hopefully in June.

2) If at first you don't succeed--keep trying: I make mistakes--many mistakes, but I will not beat myself up and give up. I will just keep trying. I set a goal and I don't achieve it, so I set it again. I have participated in numerous challenges this year--in fact, the one I am involved in now will end the day after Christmas. (I think I will take a break for awhile. It's been good, I really have developed the exercising 30 minutes a day thing. And I LOVE cleaning up my kitchen and having everything put away before I go to bed.

3) Life is Much Too Short: Yes I learned that when I was a young girl and my parents died. Yesterday morning I learned that my former brother in law, Gary, passed away. He was just 64 years old. When my mom died and we left the home where we were living,we went to live with Gary's family (at that time my sister, Carol, was still in the hospital). We lived with them from December until February when we went to live with Helen and Les.

4) Times Have Definitely Changed: Last night the youth had an activity called "Where's Waldo" and I had gotten a call asking me if I would come and help out. They wanted several Ward members to go to our local Wal-Mart and dress so the youth wouldn't recognize you and they had to "find you". Well I put on a huge coat they had never seen and made myself look pregnant. I decided if I hung out in the kotex/tampax aisle, the guys would never come over there. HAH! GUESS AGAIN!!!

5) I'm A Very Lucky Woman: Every time we get together with our family and I watch my husband interact with everyone, I am amazed at how he keeps it together. He is so patient--I truly do not know how he does it. You think after all these years some of it would rub off on me, but NOT YET.

6) You can Teach An Old Dog New Tricks: I've been working on a family calendar for Elder Rob. When I do the calendar, I put a picture of each person who has a birthday on that day or each couple who has an anniversary. There are some days where people share birthdays and a couple of days where there is a birthday and an anniversary (those are tricky) While we were together in Utah I had ever intention of taking pictures to use for the calendar--well, you know what they say about the best laid plans ; (

I didn't get a picture of Allan and Hannah who celebrate a birthday on the 27th of August. So I used this picture and this picture (taken at Amanda and Darren's wedding reception last year) and created this picture

This is what the April page looks like. Glad I got a picture of Daniel and Chris together.

I also have included a page that goes with the month--December is obviously all about Christmas so the page looks like this

I've had a lot of fun doing it and i know he will enjoy the pictures. He has been really good about sending cards to everyone on their birthdays--not sure about anniversaries ; )

16 comments:

ShEiLa said...

That is one thing that surprises me too... I love to learn and I am so not finished learning yet.

I admire your travel schedule... always flying somewhere and I love that it is always for 'family sake'. You must be the best Gramma.

Love you Yvonne! Have a safe trip.

ToOdLeS.

carolyne b said...

I still talk about the time you were an inn keeper for the Christmas Nativity and when Allen came to see you and Kyle he didn't reconize you standing beside him. I think, and still do that the makeup folks do such a wonderful job.
Wishing you and Allen a very Merry Christmas.

Lana said...

those are good things you learned, thanks for sharing! Love the picture!very clever!

Heffalump said...

Lovely post! The calendar is looking great!
Speaking of cards...could you email me your address? I lost it, and I am getting Christmas cards ready to send out.

brown paper packages said...

Okay, I LOVE the Where's Waldo idea! I'm going to have to pass one on.

I love your list--

Natalie said...

You have learned a lot of good things. I think you are wise and I admire you and all of the things you do.

Garden of Egan said...

That is a darling schedule.

Wow, 60! You are beautiful!


Looks like you have accomplished so much this year. I want to start running again.

Valerie said...

I think you're going to be 60 years YOUNG!! You certainly don't seem like you're 60!! You have a youthful heart and attitude and that's wonderful!!

I'm curious about the challenges you have been doing. I wonder if I'm motivated enough to take on something like that...

Keep up the good work! Love the calendar! I'm sure Elder Rob will love it too!

Connie said...

OK, I'm impressed at your calendar making abilities!

It's still hard for me to believe that you'll be 60! You look so young! Hope to see you again soon!

Klin said...

#4 is totally awesome!!!

I need to learn how to do those picture transforming skills.

Sixty is the new 40! You look amazing and I'm sure that your "real" age is much lower than what the calendar says. Stay young and if I don't get back here for awhile, Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to you.

Heidi said...

WOW---WAY TO GO MOM!!! YOU ARE AMAZING AS ALWAYS;) That is awesome how you put the calendar together--you are always sooooooo clever and creative like that! I sure LOVE YA TONS and am so proud of all you do and so grateful for the incredible mother and friend you are:)

Amber said...

Are you saying that some of my husband's goodness WON'T rub off on me? Darn it. That is truly heartbreaking.

Anyway.

I really loved this. Seeing what you've learned and all that.

Carrot Jello said...

Love it!

Super Happy Girl said...

3) I remember you talking about him :(
4) That sounds so fun!
I love the calendar :)

brown paper packages said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I went private on my family blog. I sent an invite to the e-mail address you listed on your profile. If it's different, e-mail me at my brown paper packages address and let me know!!

Nancy Face said...

I think we'll be old when we're like 97 or something.

Okay, maybe 87...MAYBE! ;)