Sunday, December 19, 2010

SUCH A GREAT EVENING


We had our Missionary Christmas Dinner Saturday night, and IT WAS SO FUN. When I was talking to one of my son's on Saturday afternoon, he asked if I was saying to myself, "This is the last year I'm going to do this," and I told him, "I WILL NEVER SAY THAT--I LOVE DOING IT" Yes, it's a lot of hard work, but it is so fun. Our numbers were down this year, but I don't think we cut back on food. We did a lot of prep work throughout the week and it sure made today a whole lot less stressful.

We had 4 turkeys (which ended up being WAY TOO MUCH and several of the missionaries went home with lot of turkey ; ) 30 pounds of mashed potatoes, oodles of gravy, 16 boxes of stuffing, 6 dozen rolls (minus the two Allan and I ate this afternoon ; ), sweet potato casserole, pistachio pudding salad, broccoli/cauliflower salad, and fruit salad. I'm sure grateful we have can use our garage to keep all the food cold.

I did get a little nostalgic when he realized we have been doing this for 4 years and this was the first year Elder Rob wasn't here--he has always played the piano, so it seemed odd to have someone else play.

The gift exchange was a blast. Of course anything with "Canada" on it was a hit--the scarves, the hats, the gloves ; )

A few pic from the evening.























































After the gift exchange they had dessert--death by chocolate, banana split cake a regular one and one with strawberries (which may have taken over my top spot as THE BEST DESSERT EVER!!!), and pumpkin gooey cake. (Any wonder why I failed miserably this week on my challenge ; )

It's so great that today is A DAY OF REST : ) Sure glad I had a little helper for my Gospel Doctrine class today.

SIDENOTE: In less than a week, I get to talk to my Elder ; )


15 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Quite an undertaking Miss Yvonne... but if anyone is up to the challenge... its you!

Enjoy every moment on the phone with your missionary next week.

ToOdLeS.

Doran & Jody said...

Oh. My. Yum!!
What a wonderful get together!

James(and)AnneMarie said...

Thanks for hosting the missionaries! It's nice for family to know that their missionary is being taken care of during the holiday season :)

Melissa said...

Awesome. You guys are so, so awesome!! Not only did you give those missionaries an excellent meal, you gave them a great memory!! :)

And WOOHOO for the phone call :D

Corrine said...

what a wonderful thing you can do! what a fun night and the desserts sound and looke so yummmy! Thats a lot of missionaries too!

Cherie said...

I am in awe. This is just such a cool thing - a ton of work but an awesome event!
I love love love the picture of everyone on the stairs!

Natalie said...

What a fun dinner. It's so wonderful that you have the missionaries come over. I know they appreciate it. The dinner sounds yummy too. I really miss my missionaries.

I can't wait to meet you soon.

Neal said...

Awesome! I want to know more about that Strawberry dessert ; )

Amber said...

That food looks delicious! Yum! I love holiday feasts.

Sheri said...

You and your hubby are wonderful people! What a great tradition for you and the missionaries!!

Heffalump said...

30lbs of mashed potatoes? Who did all the peeling?
I think it's lovely that you do this every year.

Gina said...

I love this tradition of yours! So much fun and so welcome to the missionaries when they are so far from their families. You two are amazing!

Boy Mom said...

The missionary dinner looks so fun. Our first is out and I'm becoming more and more thankful for people who care for missionary's.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment.

You have a beautiful family.

Valerie said...

Every year when you do this, I wish you had lived in Winnipeg the same time Max was there on his mission! He would have loved a meal like this! Thank you for this wonderful service!

I am sure the families of the Elders and Sisters that were there would love to see some of the pictures!

Super Happy Girl said...

I love love love the missionaries! You guys are awesome!!!
:)

That does look like th best dessert ever.