Thursday, January 20, 2011

Recognizing

I've been thinking a lot about my one-word resolution for the year--RECOGNIZE. For Christmas I got this great book called, "Divine Signatures" by Gerald Lund. He writes a lot about blessings and how sometimes "it is as though the Lord "signs" the blessings personally so that we will know with certainty that it comes from Him." The book has made me do a lot of reflecting on past experiences. As well, my husband had shared something he learned recently about the importance of our passing along to our families wonderful experiences that we have had--doing so really uplifts and strengthens us.

With all of that in mind, I wanted to record a couple that have really helped me recognize His hand in my life.

The first one is an experience I had with tithing many years ago. I was struggling with understanding how tithing has nothing to do with money and EVERYTHING to do with faith. I was working for the County and was paid monthly. I paid my tithing the beginning of the month and had a few days to go until pay day. I had money for gas but not for milk, and with a 4 year old, I knew he needed milk. I didn't know what I was going to do. I was cleaning the bathroom and crying, "I am trying to do what I'm supposed to do, I have paid my tithing but don't have money for milk. Just a minute of so later a woman from the Ward called to ask if I would babysit. When I went over she explained that she was going through the directory looking for Young Women to call and saw my name and thought, "I bet Sister J could use the money." I knew that her call was my answer to my prayer. I earned enough money to buy milk and a few other things.

The next experience came many years later. My daughter, Heidi, was struggling, and I was really worried about her. It was a Tuesday and she was attending a BYU Devotional. In my prayers that morning I had expressed to my Heavenly Father how worried I was about her and how much I just wanted to know she was okay. I was silently praying again as I was watching the the Devotional on my computer when all of the sudden there she was on the screen as they panned the audience at either the opening or the closing. She was smiling and I just felt, "She is fine".

Those are just a couple of examples in my life that helped me to really RECOGNIZE His hand in my life. I'm so grateful for these examples that helped me to always remember He is mindful of me.

7 comments:

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

Very sweet experiences, Yvonne. :)

Connie said...

It really is a great word! I need to get that book! I've heard lots of good things about it.

Love your experiences.

Carrot Jello said...

I have had so many tithing experiences like that I could write a book.
Seriously, that's one thing I do every week whether we get paid or not. The Lord is bound to help us when we do what he says. He keeps His promises.
I'm going to give this post and "Amen" and a "I know that's right", which is two thumbs up in the secular world. ;)

aubrey said...

what beautiful and powerful stories, yvonne. thank you for sharing them!

this made me realize that i need to be better at recording the times and experiences i have when i recognize the Lord's hand in my own life.

Heidi said...

You are truly a great woman of faith mom--you are such an example to me!!!

Heffalump said...

Thanks for sharing these experiences and for being a great example of faith!

Sheri said...

Love this post! I think we would all do better to work harder at recognizing the Lord's hands in our lives. I know I often prey for this gift!