Thursday, February 3, 2011

Committed


I started running a couple of years ago and in this blog post I said, "'ll never run a marathon or a half-marathon", but I guess as they say NEVER SAY NEVER because I have decided to give it a try. I decided I wasn't going to let my 60th birthday slow me down, so I decided it would be fun to do a half-marathon. I talked to Brent, and we decided that together we would take on the Utah Valley Half Marathon in June. (Now that I've said it, I'M SCARED)

I have signed up for the Half-Marathon training clinic her that begins in early March. Now it just needs to warm up a little so I can do it.

It's fun to realize that Thanksgiving 2009 I did a 5K with Stephen, Daphne, and Kiah,

and, last Mother's Day a couple of weeks before our Elder entered the MTC, we ran a 10K.

It will be fun to run with Brent. (As well, Macy is registered to do this run with one of her friends.)

A LONG SIDENOTE:

In most places the snow falls and then melts, NOT HERE--well, it does melt sometime in April ; ) Until then they have to find a way to get rid of the snow before it piles up like this:

Today when I went to the Post Office, I found these lined up in a row waiting for the trucks to come to take the snow away.



And these trucks take the snow and dump them out of the city.


I'm so glad the Groundhog saw his shadow--I'M READY FOR SPRING.




13 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Oh my check out all that snow... at least the Chinook winds warm it up for the snow to melt in Alberta... but you have a snow problem. Snow as far as the eye can see... I mean the eyes can't see over the snowbanks. *Ü*

Let me say... I am so proud of you! for running a marathon. I am kinda jealous to... with my knee issues I will NEVER be able to do that and I mean it.

I love seeing your dream become a relaity... you go girl!!!

ToOdLeS.

Garden of Egan said...

Ya, I am so over the snow! AND the cold.

Good for you for signing up to do the 1/2!

I've committed to do a 10 K in June. I hope the snow is gone by then. Not quite sure how I'm going to train.

Keep us up to date on your training and how you're feeling about it.

Cherie said...

It is funny how the minute January ends everyone is ready for spring!! I think we all can only take so much cold.
I am so excited for you - What a great thing you are doing!!!! I can't even imagine how scary it must be but I know you will do it and then we can all jump for joy at your success!
60 is the new 30 right!

Connie said...

I am so amazed at your commitment. My daughter is running a half-marathon in April and I'm scared for her! I can't imagine what I'd be like if I had signed up! 60 slow you down? No Way!!!

Take away the snow! I'm ready for spring!

Heidi said...

WOW MOM--THAT IS AWESOME!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!! WAY TO GO!!! I sure wish I could do it, but there is no way I would be able to...At least I have run a 5K and that was a big accomplishment for me;p You are awesome--can't wait to cheer you on! Love ya tons!

Randi said...

Ackkkk! I'M planning to run the Utah Valley Half too!!
HOW FUN!!! I would love to hear about your training program sometime!

Natalie said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome that you're running so much. I am in awe of you.

Yah that you'll be here in June. Maybe by then I'll have a home and you will be able to come over.

Sheri said...

I am ready for Spring too!! We have the snow until April or May too! Good luck with the training. I have not desire to run a marathon, but am impressed with those who do!

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

YAY! You are going to be AWESOME! You can totally do it! Do you have a training program picked out yet? I loved the one I used--

http://www.marathonrookie.com/mini-marathon-training.html

It was 4 days a week, and prepared me perfectly!

Good luck!

Valerie said...

I'm cheering for you! Good luck!

I noticed today that the snow levels seem to be dropping. I wonder if they really are or if I'm just tired of it all too! I did hear some good news though... JULY IS COMING!!!

mindyluwho said...

Signing up is the hard part! It took me a couple of weeks to finally sign up for the Ragnar because I had decided that if I signed up I was committing myself and that was scary!

Happy Training!

Melissa said...

You go girl! ;) I think it's awesome that you signed up for a half marathon! Full marathon is on the way :D
And holy snow piles batman! There is a reason I don't live in cold climates... and those piles are IT!!

susette said...

Tell me about this clinic that begins in March? Where do I sign up for that. I am also running the half marathon. It will be my first as well.