Another Valentine's Day has come and gone. And just like my Christmas cards, I'm late in doing something about it--well, at least here on my blog.
That is one day where we hear so much about love.
I guess for me I think of the love:
- my parents gave me. I first learned about love from them.
- that Helen and Les showed 45 years ago today to 6 orphaned girls when they took us into their home and from that day until they days they each passed away
- I felt for Stephen the day he was born--It is incredible the love you feel the first time that baby you are carrying moves and then when he was born I was so amazed at the love I felt when they placed him in my arms. (Those feelings have obviously come with each of my children as they were born. And through the years, that love has grown and continues to grow.)
- I had for this handsome man who invited me on our first date July 24, 1982. I was so excited when he asked me out--I already had such respect for him. It seemed like we spent just about every day together until October 23rd when we started spending every night together as well ; ) It's funny how you think you are so in love and then the years go on and the challenges come and you realize how much that love changes and grows and grows. I didn't think that was possible but when I see him become an even greater man than I knew he was, I recognize how truly blessed I am.
- Each of Allan's children. When we got married, I loved his kids. And just like with the children I gave birth to, that love has grown.
- The grandchildren. I love being a grandma. It is such a wonderful experience--it is great to have them hug you and tell you they love you, or to have the chance to talk on the phone with them and hear the excitement in their little voices as they share the things they are doing. It is exciting to watch them grow up.
- The spouses of our children/grandchldren. We have been blessed to have some wonderful people join our family. It is exciting to watch our family grow. Love truly is a beautiful thing and watching love blossom is so fun.
- The love I have for my friends. I have been blessed with such great friends--great examples who have taught me so much. We have had such great times together. Some are near and some have moved away or we have moved. But it doesn't matter--whenever we get together, it's like we were together yesterday. I have to add my bloggy friends here as well--and that same thing is true about you. I may not visit your blogs or comment on every post and you may not visit mine, but when I come by and read what is happening in your life, it's like I was there yesterday. I love catching up with your lives.
Let me end with this quote from Helen Keller: "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart".