Friday, February 18, 2011

Why Light Is Important

I have written before about the baby blanket I've been working on for baby L.

Well, last week I made a very disturbing discovery. Let me preface this by saying that I normally work on the blanket in the evening while watching TV. So the other day, I was getting ready to go to lunch with some friends, and since I wasn't leaving for an hour, I decided to pull out the blanket to work on it. I was sitting on the bed and had the shades up in my room and YIKES I couldn't believe what I saw--This was it!!!!

Now I have to tell you it wasn't until I had crocheted about 15 rows that I saw this mistake. I decided to rip those rows out. I do have to add that as I was working I kept thinking the yarn felt different--heavier. I'm sure you can see the difference--very different--not only the color but even how it looks.

I wasn't sure where I bought the yarn and couldn't find my receipt (I bought the yarn in September/October, but I decided to go back to Michaels to see if I could find the right yarn. No luck. Then Kathy and I headed to Wal-Mart. No luck there either.

When I got home, I found my receipt and the next morning called Michaels and told them I didn't understand because looking at the receipt it was apparent that all of the yarn was the same. Not only is it not the same color, it is not the same yarn. A different weight, a different look. Well, when I got there they couldn't explain it, and they didn't have anything close. So I headed to the other Michael's and bought yarn that was close, but not close enough so I had to start all over again. I am happy with the way it is looking. I'm very happy to report that I've almost gotten to the same spot I was in the other blanket when I recognized my mistake.


The other thing I realized was I wasn't doing the picots correctly, so I guess it was a good thing. I think the picots are very cute.

Now it looks like it should and I love it.

I will be going to Baby L's blessing in a few weeks and will not be done with the blanket, and that makes me sad, But I'm working on it whenever I get a spare moment, so if you don't see my out in the blogosphere, i'LL BE BACK SOON. Let me just add that through this experience I've learned some valuable lessons:

  • Always save the labels for your yarn--even after you finish a skein.
  • Always crochet with light--especially when you start a new skein.
  • Save your receipts and keep it handy so you know where you bought your yarn.


I just hope this sweet little girl likes her blanket.

SIDENOTE #1: When my cute little DIL, Daph, sent me this pic the other day I was shocked. I thought, "How in the world is this little girl standing up already?" Well, obviously, she isn't. I can't wait to see her in a week. In fact, it will be wonderful to see her whole family and then fly on to Texas to see some of my other cute grandkids.

SIDENOTE #2: My challenges are going well. I love the one challenge I'm involved in that has a particular relationship challenge. I'm working very hard to improve some of my relationships--sure hope it helps. (And not just so I can get the points ; ) Speaking of which--the other day when a couple of my friends took me to lunch, I sent them an e-mail thanking them and said, "I was going to write you a handwritten note, but there wasn't anything in my challenges where I could earn a point, so I'm just e-mailing you." Since they have been involved in the challenges, too, they got a good laugh out of it ; )

12 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Sorry about the lighting 'oopsadaisy' I am glad that it is all fixed now. I am sure little Miss L will love it.

Lighting is important in just about everything... photography too.

ToOdLeS.

Nancy Face said...

Yikes! I'd be tearing my hair out if that happened to me! :P

Connie said...

That blanket looks beautiful anyway! Too bad about the yarn mishap! Glad you shared that advice with us!

I can imagine you're super excited to see that adorable baby soon!

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

Yes, light is a good thing. :)

Lovely blanket--and one lucky girly!

Natalie said...

Your blanket is coming out so lovely. She will love it.

Garden of Egan said...

Wow, that really is a different yarn.

It's going to be beautiful finished and I know that that little angel baby is going to LOVE it! She's so beautiful.

Doran & Jody said...

I think I would have said, "Hey, I did that on purpose. It is a border."

But it turned out cute! Good job.

Valerie said...

You have a wonderful talent in crocheting!! I'm so impressed!! You are giving your grandchildren a wonderful heirloom that they can treasure forever!

Heffalump said...

I'll have to remember that about the yarn! So far I have only been doing small projects (crocheted food and such) that don't require more than a skein of yarn, but someday I may take the plunge and crochet something big!

Randi said...

Your challenge note made me laugh out loud! That is funny.

I love the pattern you're using. What a great thing to do!

Melissa said...

The blanket looks beautiful... and I wanted to cry for you when you said you had to pull it out... I had a been there done that moment. Not that I do a lot of crochet or knitting... but it seems that I make a ton of mistakes when I do try my had at it :)

Lucy (aka rharper) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.