Wednesday, February 23, 2011

You Know You're Old When...

I don't really like thinking about how old I am. But when i realize I was born in the 50's and we are in 2011, I realize I am old. And then when you have experiences like these there is no doubting it:

1. Every so often I catch one of those "where are they now?" things on the internet and I click on the pictures and see "how they look today" and the first thing that pops in my head is: "Goodness, they are really looking old". Then I go to the mirror and recognize THEY ARE NOT ALONE.

2. I started thinking about my trip to Utah for my half-marathon in June and can't remember if I booked a ticket for my flight. (Now, it's not like the dentist or doctor's office who are nice enough to call to remind you of your upcoming appointment. I don't think the airlines are going to call to remind me of my flight. I've checked all of my airmiles accounts and my credit card accounts so I don't think I've booked it.

3. Yesterday I went to the sports medicine clinic to have my knee looked at. (It has been over a week since I hurt it and it still is quite painful. I'm more concerned about not being able to train than the pain.) After the doctor checked it out he sent me to have it x-rayed. Well, there I was waiting for the girl to ask me the usual question about whether or not I was pregnant. SHE DIDN'T ASK ; (

But, in spite of it, LIFE IS GOOD. And as the old saying goes: You're only as old as you feel, and most days I don't feel at all like I'm so old.

Have a fabulous day.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh Yvonne, I have had those very same thoughts. I remember looking at a picture my friend sent me last year from their trip and thinking "Wow, they are looking old." Then I walked down the hallway and saw myself and just had to laugh because "Oh boy do I look old too."

Sorry about your knee. Hope it feels better soon. I know all about those knees. I now have 2 new ones.

And yes, LIFE IS GOOD.

Hope your day is great.

ShEiLa said...

Miss Yvonne...
you definitely don't act old either... you are amazing!!!
I hope all is well with your knee... I know what knee pain is about. My doctor is sending me to the University of Utah Medical Center for help and a second opinion. Regardless of how I feel I just need to keep a good attitude.

ToOdLeS.

Sheri said...

I can only hope to be doing the kind of things you do when I am 'old'. There are certainly days that I feel older than others!! The other day, I took a baptism invitation to my 86 year old grandmother for my daughter, she said "I just can't believe how old you are getting!" I had to laugh!! me either!!

Nancy Face said...

I'm sorry your knee is hurt-y! :(

I'm pretty darn old, but I could still get pregnant! EEEK!

Melissa said...

Yvonne - I'm sorry about your knee... I hope it feels better!
It always amazes me to hear the ages of young celebrities... how did I get to be older than they are???

Garden of Egan said...

Well, all I can say ......aren't you glad you can say no!!!!

I loved your insight on aging, but you so don't fit the mold. You certainly aren't nursing home material yet.

Heffalump said...

I realized I was a grown up when the missionaries started looking like little boys to me...

Connie said...

I hear ya! However, you look much younger than your 60 years!
I just got an invitation to my 40th High School reunion! 40 years! Where has that time gone? I bet there will be a lot of old people there!

Take care of your knee!

Valerie said...

One of my friends wrote in her blog about a child in the elementary school she is working with. He said his teacher was almost dead because she was wrinkly and "she must be about 50." If he only knew!! 50 (or 60) is NOT old anymore!! Especially for YOU!!