Friday, March 4, 2011

I Know I Am One of THOSE PEOPLE

I think it's pretty obvious that family is important to me. Last weekend with our family--celebrating Georgia's blessing and Stephen and Daphne's anniversary--was fabulous. We left their home on Monday morning for a little side-trip. Alone the way I realized I am one of those "People Who Need People".

We drove a couple of hours to the Bay Area and that night had dinner with 4 of my sisters. When I used to live in the Bay Area every Valentine's Day we'd get together to celebrate when we went to live with Helen and Les. It was always a great celebration. I haven't been able to attend for years. This year, Linda waited until I was there to celebrate. We had take-out from Banchero's Restaurant. It was as yummy as ever--Barley Soup, Salad, Ravioli, Spaghetti, and Garlic Bread.

After dinner we played this fun little Bingo game for kids. We laughed and laughed. I think Allan just laughed and laughed and realize he's not the only one with crazy sisters ; )

That night we went over to our friends the C's and visited with them and the W's. Oh, great times. I am so grateful for good friends.

On Tuesday we headed up to the wine country. We thought we had found the place we stayed at a few times in the past, but when we got there realized it wasn't the same place. It was still beautiful and we had a lovely stay. Hey, any place that leaves chocolate on your bed is OKAY with me.

I could write a whole post about vineyards and how much I love the analogy in the scriptures. So cool.

When we headed back we decided to go and visit my Uncle Jerry, so Allan could meet him. It was a wonderful visit and we were so happy we took the extra hours to go see him.

We then met up with the C's and W's again. (I didn't get a picture when we were together the other night, so we decided to meet up at the old Ice Cream shop where we spent many fun nights throughout the years.) Pat and Dennis are beginning a mission in April at the Family History Center--where Richard and Priscilla served a few years ago) When I joined the Church, those two families played such a critical part in my life. They were my examples of everything I wanted in a marriage, and Pat and Priscilla were my examples of the kind of woman I wanted to be. I'm still not there but I'm so grateful for their fantastic tutoring and love. Richard was our Stake President and when he was called to be Mission President. Dennis was then called as our Stake President and Allan was called as his counselor. (And when Allan decided to ask me out on our first date, Dennis was the first one he told.) These kinds of friendships are the ones that you know will last forever.

As we were driving back to our hotel after meeting up with everyone, Allan and I were talking about what a cool trip it had been and how we were so grateful we had the chance to pack so much into a couple of days. And I know just like Barbara sings, "People who need people, are the luckiest people in the world". Although I have to say, I know it is that I am truly blessed.

We know the rest of the trip will be wonderful, too, because it will be filled with more visits with wonderful people.



7 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Kris Face and I like to sing "People...people who EAT people...are the HUNGRIEST people...in the world..."

You knew I was weird, but I bet you didn't know I was THAT weird!

ShEiLa said...

I am a whole lot like you when it comes to needing people... I live for fun moments with family and friends.

I will have to e.mail you one of my favorite poems... oh I will just put it here::

Life is sweet because of the friends we have made
And the things which in common we share
WE want to live on, not because of ourselves
But because of the ones who would care
It's living and doing for somebody else
On that all of life's splendor depends
And the joy of it all, when you count it all up
Is found in the making of friends.

-anonymous-

I consider my sisters my friends too... but that is a whole other poem.

ToOdLeS.

Natalie said...

I think I'm a people person too.

I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time. You are lucky to have such good friends, but they are so lucky to have you too.

Garden of Egan said...

It looks like your travel is going well. You manage to pack a whole lotta fun into a trip!
Excited to hear how the rest goes!

Connie said...

You are one of the luckiest people in the world. Your life is filled with good people! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Valerie said...

Still traveling!! I'm glad you had some time with your sisters! The Valentine party sounds fun!

Melissa said...

What a great trip! We lived in an area in Southern California that had vineyards. Lots and lots of vineyards and I just loved to look at them. So beautiful!

I'm glad you got to spend time with friends and family!!