Saturday, March 19, 2011

An Old Quote From Conference

Last week I spoke in Church and was given the topic, "I Can Be Protected From Many of the Calamities of Today's Society if I Heed the Counsel of Living Prophets and Apostles". I have such a testimony of listening to the Prophets and Apostles, so I was grateful for the opportunity to speak on that topic. I found this great quote from Elder Hales that I just love and wanted to share it. It was from a talk in April 1995 General Conference:

“If we follow the counsel given by the prophets, we can have a life in mortality where we do not bring upon ourselves unnecessary pain and self-destruction. This does not mean we will not have challenges. We will. This does not mean we will not be tested. We will, for this is part of our purpose on earth. But if we will listen to the counsel of our prophet, we will become stronger and be able to withstand the tests of mortality. We will have hope and joy. All the words of counsel from the prophets have been given so that we may be strengthened and then be able to lift and strengthen others”

I'm so looking forward to General Conference.

Sidenote #1: Now this picture has absolutely nothing to do with Conference, but it's one that was on the CD from Elder Rob. I had to ask my friend, Melissa, who always recognizes places in the pics he sends, if she could tell me what it was. Thanks, Melissa, for the explanation. Apparently it is in a new downtown area called "Taylor's Crossing". I guess Idaho Falls used to be called Eagle Rock. I love the picture.

Sidenote #2: Although I'm enjoying the basketball games, again I'm sitting right near the bottom of our friendly pool. Hoping BYU plays well against Gonzaga tonight--6:45 Central time and even on a station we get here in Canada ; )


8 comments:

gigi said...

I would have loved to hear your talk. I bet it was wonderful. I love that quote. When I read it I remembered it and it is a good one to pass on to others.
Happy weekend and happy spring.

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I wish I could have heard your talk too! I'm also looking forward to General Conference, although I don't hear as much as I would like to. :) It's definitely on, but my little ones are still pretty busy during that time. Thank goodness for the Ensign, and online access!

Btw, how's your bracket? :)

ShEiLa said...

My Mother-in-law Carol in Alberta is on the phone with me now reminding me of the time... Tony should catch the second half.

I love the photo!

There sure have been a whole lot of calamities in the last couple years and so much suffering and sadness.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

That is a wonderful quote. I'm sure you gave a fantastic talk!
Love the picture of the Eagle Monument.

Go Cougars! They did it!

Valerie said...

I knew where that picture was! It's exciting that Elder Rob was there! I look in all the elder's faces around here. I'm determined to see him before I move (this fall)!

Thanks for the wonderful quote!

Sheri said...

Love that quote. I also am looking forward to Conference. I need that boost and direction! Yeah for the Cougars! i was so happy!! Beautiful Shot of Eagle Rock - they should have left the name!! i would much prefer to say I was born in Eagle Rock than Idaho Falls!! ;)

Garden of Egan said...

I've drive past that several times a month.

Melissa said...

I'm looking forward to Conference! I need to fill my cup :)

I'm ready to identify my next picture ;)