Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thank You

For as long as I can remember I was taught how important it is to say Thank You. It's something I always taught my children. I remember telling them many years ago about attending a baby shower for a girl who opened each gift and as she did SHE NEVER SAID A WORD. It was incredibly awkward for everyone in attendance. All of us at the shower sat there in shock. She never thanked ANYONE. Throughout the years we have always tried to teach our children that when people do things for them, it's important to let them know that what they have done for you is appreciated. I'm happy to say I think this is something most of them do very well. And that makes this mama very happy.

Today I went to the Post Office and picked up a package that came in the mail from my friend, Sheila. I am so happy--it was so sweet of her. The rice bag will come in handy--I have lots of aches and pains. And you know me so well--I will enjoy those treats ; )

I will do something for anyone when they say thank you, but when they don't--well, I won't have that same desire in the future. I've been sitting here trying to determine why it bothers me, and I can't figure it out.

I really like this quote by Elie Wiesel: "When a person doesn't have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity. A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude."

I hope I have and will always express gratitude to others. I find that saying thank you goes a LONG WAY.

So, again, THANK YOU, Sheila. You are a real sweetie.

Sidenote #1: I am so looking forward to receiving a CD in the mail from my little Elder. In my last e-mail he said he was putting a CD in the mail that day. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks. BTW, when we were in Texas we made a drive to San Antonio to see the temple and passed this sign. Sure made me smile.

Sidenote #2: Last month at our Scout Spaghetti Dinner/Auction I bought a 2 month membership at our local gym and finally went today. It was great. Hoping my knee will get better soon and the weather will warm up so I can get out and run outside. June will be here before I know it. I start my half-marathon class this week???

8 comments:

gigi said...

Saying thank you is beginging to be a lost art :( I find that a lot of young people don't know how or either to lazy to write thank you notes for Graduation gifts, wedding gifts and baby shower gifts. Saying thank you at the shower isn't enough a written note should also be sent. My pet peeve.

Nancy Face said...

I love Kyle's freeway sign! :D

I feel the same way as you about showing thanks!

Melissa said...

One of my Young Women leaders growing up owned a company that made street signs and such. And when we got into her class she would make a sign for us. Somewhere I have a street sign that says "Melissa Avenue" :)

Thank you's are so important. I know I don't always do enough or make my kids do enough. It's something we need to work on!

ShEiLa said...

I agree with Gigi... thank you is a lost art... especially writing thank you cards.

I am so glad you got the package... you are so deserving for all the wonderful things you do and all you have done to inspire me to be a better person.

Love you Yvonne.

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

Saying Thank You is very important! I think everyone could always use more practice at it! I know I'm not always perfect at it, but I'm trying.
I think you have given me an idea with this post though. Our family is going to have the kids write a Thank You note to someone for FHE this coming week. So...THANK YOU for the inspiration!

Doran & Jody said...

I tried to teach my kids the Thank You technique too. When we "took in" our new teenage addition I noticed that she would never say thank you. This was the first time that I realized that we really do learn this at home. I don't think she had ever been taugt how to say Thank You. That ended quickly when I explained how important it is for others to hear those two powerful words.

Oh gulp! I am fretting the race already. I have also got to get feeling better SOON so I can start training.

Good luck!

Valerie said...

My grandma was a STICKLER about saying thank you and sending thank you notes. If we ever failed in our duty to follow through after receiving a nice gift or act of service with a card, we HEARD from her!!!
(Thank you, Gramma!)
It's a wonderful thing to teach our kids... but like gigi said, it's becoming a lost art. :(

Sheri said...

Thank you for the reminder!! I too think it is so important and is heard less and less!!