Monday, March 21, 2011

What Do You See???


Last Saturday I attended the funeral for a sweet sister that I visit taught for a number of years. She was a Filipino woman who joined the Church in the Philippines and came to Canada to be with her sons after her husband died back in the late 80's. I knew a great deal about her from visiting with her. She would tell me stories as we sat together. As I would look around at Church on Sundays at the other "older" (that is older than me) sisters in our Ward, I wondered how many of them do I see only as "older" sisters--not knowing about the things they may have done throughout their life. Quite often during Relief Society Birthday celebrations we play get to know you games, but do we really get to know people. Well, as I sat in Nancy's funeral Saturday, and her oldest son gave her eulogy, I learned so many other things about her. I knew she had been a beauty queen when she was a young woman, but I had never seen a picture of her when she was young. She was gorgeous. One of the amazing things that I didn't know was that she had worked as a messenger for the guerillas in the jungle in the Philippines during the war--hiding messages in her hair. (Pretty cool, eh ; )

I loved her and I'm grateful that I know she knew it. Allan and I had gone to see her in the hospital the Wednesday before she passed away. I was so glad I was able to give her a hug and a kiss before I left. I had no idea that would be the last time I would see her.

It has made me realize that I need to do a better job of really getting to know people. I'm going to make it a point to ask more questions.

I have never done anything quite as cool as acting as a messenger during the war, but I want to be sure I write down some of the fun things I have done through the years that people may not remember. I want my grandchildren to know that I am not as boring as perhaps they think. I also think it's time I get busy on my personal history.

And after the funeral, Allan and I headed to a birthday party and a farewell for one of our "sons" from Pioneer Trek. He was turning 20 and getting ready to head for his mission to the Philippines. Tonight my husband had the opportunity to set him apart. Being there when missionaries are set apart is one of my favorite things--those blessings that they are given are so incredible. The Spirit in the room is always so strong.

Elder S. is going to be a fantastic missionary. I am so excited for he and his sweet family. This will make our second son from our Trek experience to go on a mission. Back in December, Allan set apart this young man who went to Kenya. His parents are the ones who did the majority of the work on Heidi and Daniel's wedding reception here in Winnipeg.

Sidenote: Weather is getting better and I know that eventually Spring will be here. CAN'T WAIT ; ) We're heading for the temple this Friday and I sure hope the roads are good.





11 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I am sorry that your friend has passed away... I have made the realization that it is hard to know every little thing about everybody... but one thing for sure I love hearing about the lives of others and learn about what makes them special.

ToOdLeS.

gigi said...

Our Ward members are older and they have started passing away and it is hard and we miss them each Sunday.

Those are some awesome looking Missionaries!

Natalie said...

It is hard to see the ones we love pass away. You are right. We need to spend more time listening to the stories of lives of people. It's very interesting too. I too need to start writing some of my stories down. As always, you inspire me.

I love missionaries. They are awesome.

Safe travels dear one.

Melissa said...

I'm sorry you lost a friend. Never an easy thing.

Those missionaries look ready to go! What a cool thing for you to be part of their lives :)

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend! I loved her picture.

Thank you for the reminder that "everyone has a story." And it's so very important that you get your story written down! (me too!)Have you thought about printing out your blog? You have a lot of great stories already written here!

Doran & Jody said...

This reminded me when we had my dad's funeral.

He didn't talk a whole lot about when he was young. I think he felt abandonded by his family. Long story...

Anyway one thing that my cousin shared with us that dad's sister told him, was that dad use to jump horses. I knew he use to ride and he always loved horses but I didn't know he use to jump fences and such. Right before the funeral I was given a picture of him sitting on a fence by some horses. I enlarged it for my brother and I. I wish we were closer to his side of the family so I could get more pictures and stories.

Sheri said...

I think you do a great job of knowing people because you actually listen!

Connie said...

These older sisters are treasure troves of wisdom. We just need to listen to them.
It's hard to lose a friend.

Garden of Egan said...

A beautiful tribute to your friend.
Have a wonderful day on Friday.

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

I am sorry you lost a friend. It is always hard saying goodbye to people that put smiles on our face.

carolyne b said...

Wow, I was suprised to read you post that Nancy passed away. For those of us who had the opportunity to know her, she was one fisty gal. She challenged me is so many ways, when I wasn't sure about the Gospel. I remember on the day I was baptised, she asked my husband, Peter when he was getting baptised that the font was filled and he could do it right after me.
Elder S's family are in my ward, what a inspiritation they are. It was only 3 years ago that his aunt and uncle came over from the Philipines. And now he is going to serve over there. Awesome.