Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Monumental Day


Back in August 1998 President Hinckley made a trip across Canada. When he stopped in Regina, Saskatchewan, he announced a temple. When we here in Winnipeg heard a temple had been announced in Regina we were pretty sure it meant he would not be announcing a temple in Winnipeg.

When he came to Winnipeg a couple of days later it was so wonderful--a day I don't think I'll ever forget. Heidi and Brent were part of the Youth Choir which was wonderful. (One day I may have to blog about the opportunity Heidi had to shake hands with President and Sister Hinckley) Although a temple was not announced for Winnipeg, he promised us that one day we would have a temple. Each Conference I have been waiting and well...

I wish you all could have heard the excitement in our Stake Center when President Monson announced there would be a temple in Winnipeg. It is going to be wonderful.

My heart was taken to: Idaho where I knew my little Elder was sitting with missionaries and I just know how thrilled he would be--can't wait to read his e-mail on Monday; Utah where Heidi, Daniel and Brent were sitting with Allan's sisters (oh that must have been such a scene of joy and tears); to Texas where Neal and Macy would be so excited for us; and to Auburn where Stephen and Daphne would be cheering knowing what a blessing it will be for us to have a temple right here. I think of the countless missionaries who have served here who will be so thrilled for the Saints here in this area--in fact, I know Stephen and Daphne's Bishop served here years and years ago and talked about coming to Winnipeg next year to visit. Maybe he and his family will wait until the temple is built ; ) Lots of text messages during this session of Conference. Allan said he felt like he was getting a massage from his blackberry because there were so many messages coming through.

The temple in Regina has been a great blessing to us. When we first came here in 1996, Temple trips were 14 hours to Cardston, Alberta. Heidi and Brent made those trips with the youth. I remember November 1999 when the 5 of us were in Regina when the temple was dedicated by Elder Packer--President Hinckley was in Halifax dedicating that temple (the only time two temples were dedicated on the same day. It was a wonderful day and knowing how much easier it is to go 6 hours, made us so very grateful. Yes, at times the roads were a little treacherous, but when I think of people who have to travel 2 or 3 days (or more) by bus, I know I really can't complain.

And to think, soon we will have a temple right here in Winnipeg. WHAT AN AMAZING DAY this has been.

I will have to post later about all the wonderful talks, but I'm just so excited with this news.

19 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Sister Robison! I occasionally visit your blog and had to check to see if you already blogged about the wonderful announcement this morning. There were cheers coming from our house in Minneapolis! Tom was so excited...we are just sad we couldn't call Ken and Patti as they are out of town.

I am sure this will be a wonderful thing for Missionary work in Winnipeg--we are so happy for you! I was lucky to watch a temple built in Raleigh in my youth and the experience completely changed my focus to be on the temple. I am just so excited for the people of Winnipeg!

I sent the link to your post on to Tom so he could read too. Beautifully said!

Nancy Face said...

When I heard the exciting announcement, I turned to Lauren and asked, "Do you think Yvonne just screamed?" She thought probably yes! :)

Neal said...

I want to know more about the physical reaction of the congregation where you heard about the new temple. We shouted here at home ; )

Sheri said...

Yeah!! I thought of you when it was announced and I swear I could hear cheering!! Happy Day!!

Garden of Egan said...

That is so awesome!!! I am excited for you. Watching the Rexburg temple being built was one off the most memorable experiences ever!

Chantel said...

I am so thrilled with the news of a temple in Winnipeg. It brought tears to my eyes. I know the members in the stake worked so hard to prepare for this day. What a great blessing. I remember the feeling when the temple was announced for Regina and it is the same feeling I had when I heard.

Yvonne said...

Julie: I bet there were cheers coming from your house. I thought of so many people who grew up here and would be so very exciting for the Saints here in Winnipeg. Truly a FABULOUS day.

I loved your comment Julie. I was talking with one of our Senior missionary couples who works with the Seminary/Institute youth and they pretty much said the same thing about the blessing of the temple.

Hugs to you, Tom and little Eden.

NancyFace: You bet Yvonne screamed--and she wasn't alone.

Neal: There were definitely shouts here at the Stake Center--so much excitement. Like Dad said, his blackberry was going crazy. He stood up at the end of Conference and spoke to everyone for a couple of minutes and then had everyone go outside so we could take a picture for the start of our Temple Book.

Sheri: I wouldn't be at all surprised if you heard us--it was pretty exciting.

Garden of Eden: Thanks. It is going to be so wonderful. We are just so thrilled.

Chantel: Thank you. I know that anyone who has ever lived here knows how much it means to the Saints here in this area.

Heffalump said...

I was so excited when President Monson announced the temple for Winnipeg. I told my husband, "My friend Yvonne lives there!" and how happy you would be to be getting a temple.

Doran & Jody said...

I am SO excited for you!!
We have been so excited watching the Brigham temple being built. It is moving right along. We can't wait!!

Natalie said...

SOOOOOOOO EXCITING. HOW WONDERFUL TO HAVE A TEMPLE IN WINNIPEG.

I think I heard you screaming way back here in A.F. :)

von said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yvonne said...

Heffalump: Thank you. It was just amazing. We are definitely very happy.'

Jody: Thanks. I'm sure you are all excited for your temple to be completed.

Natalie: I wouldn't be at all surprised if you didn't hear me scream ; )

Lucy (aka rharper) said...

Congrats on the Temple!!!!! It's so nice to have one VERY close to home. :))

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I was so excited for you when I heard Winnipeg!

We can't believe that we're getting another one here in the Treasure Valley. We're only 25 minutes away from the Boise temple.

It was a shock to hear Meridian announced, but we'll end up part of the Meridian temple district.

Klin said...

Just so exciting for you and all those by you.

I can see your big smile and feel your peace at having a house of the Lord so very close.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

I don't blame you- it is so exciting. I remember when the temple was announced in Vernal Utah- where my husband is from- We lived in Auburn WA at the time and the family across the continent went wild!

carolyne b said...

We don't usually go to conference on Saturday's, but I did receive a call from the Orr's in Calgary telling me about a temple here. I too yelled, for my daughter who was downstairs to come up. My husband who is a non-member said the whole neighbourhood heard. So excited Yvonne!!! I guess the next step is finding a location for the temple. Will Allen be part of that process? I expect with Stake conference next month we will hear more information.

gigi said...

That is an amazing thing to have a Temple so close. Nearest one to us is 3 1/2 hour drive. Still closer than a lot of people have it.
Happy Monday!

Valerie said...

Can you believe I missed the announcement? I was frantically getting ready (blow dryer running) so we could get out the door and up to SLC so we wouldn't be late for the Saturday afternoon session. :(
It's such wonderful news!! (I happen to live with a former Winnipeg missionary who's excited about it too!) You'll love watching it as it goes up! Make sure to find out when they put Moroni on top. It's a sight worth seeing!!